Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nubie's Build - The Copper Project

Originally posted by critofur View Post
    you don't need binding posts just to play them before they're finished. Drill a small pair of holes with no space between them just large enough to push through speaker wire - temp. solution to getting the signal into the box without running the wire through the vent...
    Found out that my son's hand is small enough to go through the front port hole. When it comes time to veneer I'll get him to undo the posts from the inside.

Finished soldering the crossovers and all the wiring.

May fire them up for a test run tomorrow!!

Light is at the end of the tunnel!

Ted

Comment

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p

Whatever, Cheesehead.....;)
      Later,
      Junior
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I ordered some of those binding post plates, they're really nice!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
        return to the source
        leviathan system thread
        deadhorse thread
        shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

HELP!!

Hooked these up for a test listen and nothing is coming out of the tweeters in either speaker.

here's my x-over wired up

here's the x-over schematic.

anyone see anything wrong?

thanks

Ted

Comment

Only thing I can tell from the picture is some cold solder joints. But if that is not the case then check continuity before the tweeter. It could be the series resistor is bad also.
            Thanks ,
            JB

Comment

Ouch, that's a bummer. Check every connection for solid wires (nothing loose), if so, then if you have mounted the drivers already, pop one tweeter out and play with every connection until the tweeter makes sound.
              One tip that some people miss, if you are going to solder capacitors with short leads like that, the heat can damage the cap. You can use a pair of hemostats or small locking pliers between the solder joint and the cap body to prevent damage.

If you have a cheap speaker lying around (like from a $5.99 desktop computer speaker deal), you can connect that to the crossover tweeter outputs and try bypassing the crossover components one by one until you find the problem (playing some sound at a low level).

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

DJD, Don,

thanks for the tips and insight.

Like you said, it's probably a loose connection or a cold solder joint. Hopefully its not a bad cap. Love the idea about testing by bypassing components.

Will dive into it this evening.

Ted

Comment

OK, took apart whole crossover and re-soldered everything with a solder that had more silver (audio grade vs RatShack grade, dunno why I did that, ugh!) and everything works now!! (cold solder? like DJD said?)

Anyhow, still need to seal the baffle, but preliminary listening tests are pretty darn good!

I'm a happy camper!!!

Finally figured out the cheese banter... WI!!

I went to school in Chicago way back when.. and went to WI for the Lands End Outlet!!!

Ted

Comment

wait till after the superbowl:eek:
                    what school?
                    what will you do for feet?
                    in the future, use a jumper to bypass each component to find the bad joint.
                    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Odd that you had two bad solder joints and both on the tweeters. Are you sure you didn't change the crossover schematic after you rebuilt it? In looking at your picture I can't quite figure out how you have the inductor wired (I'm assuming you have it right, but you know what they say!!!)

Glad you like 'em.

M.

PS, don't neglect to send pics of your finishing process too!

Comment

So glad you go them working. You might want to practice your soldering skills sometime before your next build. It's not hard, but involves good timing control - sort of like making an omelet.

Here's a nice guide. http://www.kingbass.com/soldering101.html

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Update:

Been real busy at work, but got a chance to work on the Coppers, but also did some other things inbetween.

Added some corner braces to hold the front baffles

1 coat of Zinser primer and three coats of automotive primer on the baffles with sanding inbetween.

Also found time to build a Pass DIY B1 Passive Preamp for my Dynaco ST-70

Finally got a chance to buy a table saw. A bit too late for this project though, a Dewalt 745.

Bought some copper paint, but wife nixed the copper color idea, so semi-gloss black it is.

And my veneer from Tap-Ease finally arrived.

So currently using the cold-press method to attach my veneer.

More photos to come.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by tubetrek View Post
                            Added some corner braces to hold the front baffles
                            Hey, I like that corner clamping method. I'm gonna have to steal that. :D
                            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Ted,

Make sure you have those enclosure seams sanded and filled perfectly flat or you'll see the flaws through the veneer, and by then it's too late! BTW, it's called Copper Project for a reason...not Semi Gloss Black project....darn wives. :p You would have loved the copper...

What veneer did you choose? The Tape-Ease office is about 40 minutes from my front door so it always freaks them out when somebody walks in off the street wanting to buy a sheet.

Great corner gluing block! Good idea that many here will adopt.

Marty

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post
                                Ted,

Make sure you have those enclosure seams sanded and filled perfectly flat or you'll see the flaws through the veneer, and by then it's too late! BTW, it's called Copper Project for a reason...not Semi Gloss Black project....darn wives. :p You would have loved the copper...

What veneer did you choose? The Tape-Ease office is about 40 minutes from my front door so it always freaks them out when somebody walks in off the street wanting to buy a sheet.

Great corner gluing block! Good idea that many here will adopt.

Marty
                                Agreed, go over those seems with 80 grit and 120 after that and make sure you cant feel any transition between the 2 seems. If you dont get them flat and smooth you'll either see the imperfection as Marty said, or worse...you could end up with veneer splits/lifting/bubbles.

Good luck bud !

PS- I second the copper paint motion. Black?...come on wife !!!! :D

Comment

Working...
                                X