Looking for Help/Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Help/Ideas

Heres the backstory, I bought a box of NSBs back in high school, I built the shittiest line array you've ever seen in your life. Anyways I still have them and they still work. I'm living in a house my room mate owns, and we have a decent enough HT setup, We've been using the Line Arrays and a Dayton Reference 12" in a 2ft3 box with a Bash 300 watt amp that I built. The Line arrays stick above the Windows and it drives my room mate absolutely NUTS. He wants me to make them shorter yet he knows jack **** about stereo design, I only know slightly more. What I'm wanting to do is a Tower of 9 NSBs for the RF and LF channels. I'm open to about any kind of box, ported, sealed, IB whatever. I have some **** twitters hooked up but I'm willing to spend a little bit of money on these to make them as nice as the Sub box I built. I have no idea where to start and I've searched but I can't find anything on a 9 speaker design. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I would just prefer to not have buy new mids if I can make these work.

Re: Looking for Help/Ideas

You'll need to supply some info about the NSBs. Without knowing some of the speaker parameters, there's no way to really give any legitimate suggestions. Are there any markings or numbers on the speakers?
    Mike
    "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
    My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

They were buyouts a couple years ago for like $.49 a piece thats all I know off the top of my head.

Comment

Bill Fitzmaurice has a line array design using these speakers and buyout Onkyo tweeters. SLA, short line array.

www.billfitzmaurice.com

Visit his forum, too.

Comment

In home line arrays are designed primarily on the research of the white paper of Dr. Jim Griffin. You need to to read that.

A short line array is actually a line source, not a line array. The be a line array for use in a normal home listening room, the array had to be connected to the ceiling and floor and the array must be the length of 70% of the distance from floor to ceiling. Anything less doesn't connect and is thus not a line array but a line source.
          The Calipso Line Array System: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?albumid=9

Comment

Try doing a CBT array.

Comment

My room mate liked the looks of the Bill Fitzmaurice Short Line Array so I'm building that. Was able to do it relatively cheap since all I bought was tweeters and X-Over parts. I have another member on here CNC'ing the baffles as soon as I ship him two speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by cmillet View Post
                My room mate liked the looks of the Bill Fitzmaurice Short Line Array so I'm building that. Was able to do it relatively cheap since all I bought was tweeters and X-Over parts. I have another member on here CNC'ing the baffles as soon as I ship him two speakers.
                So you are building a line source not a line array. Good for you.

There is no doubt about the idea that a real line array is imposing. when I told my wife what i was going to build, her response was, "Not in My Living Room, you don't!!!"

So I build a listening room around the speakers in the basement. Then she wanted to put our 55 inch wide screen tv between them. And we still might, but its not all that convenient.
                The Calipso Line Array System: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?albumid=9

Comment

Originally posted by marlboro View Post
                  In home line arrays are designed primarily on the research of the white paper of Dr. Jim Griffin. You need to to read that.

A short line array is actually a line source, not a line array. The be a line array for use in a normal home listening room, the array had to be connected to the ceiling and floor and the array must be the length of 70% of the distance from floor to ceiling. Anything less doesn't connect and is thus not a line array but a line source.
                  Not challenging you here, but in 2008 I heard Jim Griffin's big line array in person. IIRC, it was about 6 feet tall, and the room had a 12 foot ceiling or higher. Didn't detect a bit of an anomaly with that setup.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Working...
                  X