Dual Full Range Monitors w/ EL70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Full Range Monitors w/ EL70

Thought I'd share a recent build. It's .75cu ft with 2 EL70 full range paper drivers per side. The EL70s are designed by Mark Fenlon of Mark Audio specifically for CSS. I stuck to the basic design from CSS. Port is 2" w/ 4" length. No tweeter needed and very little toe-in. No bsc either, so there is no crossover. Yes, they go low. Real low. Mark and others on diyaudio have shown and attested to combing being a non-issue with this and similar designs. For those who don't know Mark used to design for Jordan and has since been engineering his own full rangers for the DIY community with the budget CHR70 and premium Alpair lines.

With a 5w SimpleSe tube amp, I couldn't be happier with their performance. No you can't host a pajama jammy jam house party with them, but for realistic medium room SPL they go the distance for a total of $176. It's a joy not to have to worry about tweaking this or that cap or resistor or inductor to taste, or building a XO period. I'll hold off on my thoughts about sound quality and subjective gushing except to say I've built about 6 or 7 2-way designs over the past few years since I stumbled over this forum, Modula MTM, encores, several of Jay's designs, etc. Since I took the leap to explore full range, and specifically the Mark Audio I've been consistently impressed by how good they sound. All are able to stand toe to toe w/ the 2-ways I've built and frankly exceed them in terms of sound quality (but not SPL, but again I'm not a party animal). I read a post where Jeff B. mentioned the Alpairs as among the best midrange drivers and wondered why they aren't used at the very least as part of 2 or 3-ways. They really deserve a listen.

I'll have some measurements once I get my new gear hooked up.

Certainly a worthy option for those looking for high-end quality at buyout prices.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wushuliu; 03-31-2011, 08:59 PM.

Re: Dual Full Range Monitors w/ EL70

Pretty darn interesting. I read all of the links you listed. So all one has to do is build the cabinet as described, mount driver/s and binding posts and a little wire. No crossover.

Bass response would be extended using the larger drivers and building one of the larger cabinets. (if that's an issue)

Do you feel the need for a sub?

I just have a feeling that these would be great for the music I like to listen to, at reasonable volumes, when I want to chill and just really listen.

It's hard for my pea sized brain to wrap it's self around the idea of only one driver sounding "right", without crossover components.

Comment

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post
      Thought I'd share a recent build. It's .75cu ft with 2 EL70 full range paper drivers per side. The EL70s are designed by Mark Fenlon of Mark Audio specifically for CSS. I stuck to the basic design from CSS. Port is 2" w/ 4" length. No tweeter needed and very little toe-in. No bsc either, so there is no crossover. Yes, they go low. Real low. Mark and others on diyaudio have shown and attested to combing being a non-issue with this and similar designs. For those who don't know Mark used to design for Jordan and has since been engineering his own full rangers for the DIY community with the budget CHR70 and premium Alpair lines.

With a 5w SimpleSe tube amp, I couldn't be happier with their performance. No you can't host a pajama jammy jam house party with them, but for realistic medium room SPL they go the distance for a total of $176. It's a joy not to have to worry about tweaking this or that cap or resistor or inductor to taste, or building a XO period. I'll hold off on my thoughts about sound quality and subjective gushing except to say I've built about 6 or 7 2-way designs over the past few years since I stumbled over this forum, Modula MTM, encores, several of Jay's designs, etc. Since I took the leap to explore full range, and specifically the Mark Audio I've been consistently impressed by how good they sound. All are able to stand toe to toe w/ the 2-ways I've built and frankly exceed them in terms of sound quality (but not SPL, but again I'm not a party animal). I read a post where Jeff B. mentioned the Alpairs as among the best midrange drivers and wondered why they aren't used at the very least as part of 2 or 3-ways. They really deserve a listen.

Certainly a worthy option for those looking for high-end quality at buyout prices.
      I don't know what Jeff is talking about then he mentions cracked aluminum frames on xj92s. I never had one with the cracked frame. Oh well.
      Then you ready to test, take a look at horizontal and vertical off axis response if you don't mind. Thanks.
      http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Hi,

I am sure Mark range of Full range drivers sound really good, I am still waiting for for drivers with higher SPL close to 88-90dB, at the moment only the Alpair 10 and 12 are close to that range.

The latest Alpair 10.2 has about 87dB and it is designed for box usage, with a lift at both ends of the freq. spectrum. I am not so keen when there is a lift at the high frequency then I have to tame it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post

Nice project...thank you for sharing it!

Maybe it's just me, but your box looks much larger than .75ft3?

Any idea about what the sensitivity is?

Comment

Originally posted by boroson View Post
            Pretty darn interesting. I read all of the links you listed. So all one has to do is build the cabinet as described, mount driver/s and binding posts and a little wire. No crossover.

Bass response would be extended using the larger drivers and building one of the larger cabinets. (if that's an issue)

Do you feel the need for a sub?

I just have a feeling that these would be great for the music I like to listen to, at reasonable volumes, when I want to chill and just really listen.

It's hard for my pea sized brain to wrap it's self around the idea of only one driver sounding "right", without crossover components.
            I don't need a sub for music, but I associate subs w/ home theater and for that I would definitely cross these over and not go full range if you like your explosions. The end goal is to actively pair w/ RS225s using Minidsp but they sound so good as is I am no real hurry.

Yep, no xo. But room placement plays a part so YMMV. I was skeptical too in the beginning but I decided way back when the only way I can learn is to build and listen (and soon, measure) for myself. This is the 3rd Mark Audio set I've built, first two using Alpair 6 (3") and 12 (6"). You get all the pluses of a full range without the minuses (breakups, peaks, no bass) at the cost of sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by foxfire3 View Post
              Nice project...thank you for sharing it!

Maybe it's just me, but your box looks much larger than .75ft3?

Any idea about what the sensitivity is?
              8*24*11, so a touch more than that but once you add acoustic foam, bracing...

They're wired in series, so technically 86-87db but like I said I use a 5w amp no problem without cranking. Mark recommends 4w and up.

Comment

Quote from above:

" don't know what Jeff is talking about then he mentions cracked aluminum frames on xj92s. I never had one with the cracked frame."

I have experienced Jordan JX92S drivers with cracked frames. I received a pair improperly mounted in their enclosures (the drivers were not screwed down but just loosely resting within the cutout) that clearly had shipping damage. The frames cracked at the junction of the ribs and the massive rear magnet cap. The shipping box had apparently been dropped and both drivers had cracked frames. One MDF enclosure was dented on one corner. One driver had its cone separated from the spider.

Bottom line is that drivers packaged within the original boxes would be difficult to damage. But any other mounting or packaging may subject the drivers to damage during shipping.

Jim
                Last edited by Jim Griffin; 04-01-2011, 09:36 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Working...
                X