Build Thread: Colorado AviaTrix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build Thread: Colorado AviaTrix

I've been talking about creating this build thread for awhile. I finally decided to start the documentation. I would like to steer this build thread toward those new people wanting to try DYI speaker building but have hesitated to pull the trigger. Hopefully, this build thread inspires those (just like me) to finally pull the trigger with the understanding that you can get all the help you need from this awesome forum.

To the expert members of this and other forums, thanks for convincing me to not go the HTIB route!

For starters, I chose to go witha 7.x AviaTrix system. I originally wanted to go the Statements or Khanspire route but ultimately decided on the AviaTrix as a first build. Hopefully I do Curt and Wayne's work justice.

You can definately save money by buying the kit from PE although it only has the components for two speakers. Since I was going for a 7.x system, I bought three kits plus the needed additional parts to complete the system. I did end up with a couple of extra ND140's and a bunch of extra crossover parts. It was still cheaper than buying everything separately.

My AviaTrix Build Thread
    The Good The Bad and The Ugly Theater/Basement Build

Re: Build Thread: Colorado AviaTrix

That looks like a very happy Christmas morning in April! Looking forward to seeing your build.
    RYAN N.

"Why do you have the stereo on while you're watching TV?" - "....Cause I like to party."

RSS390HF Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224998
    AviaTrix Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=230372
    Wolf's PC Speakers Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...84#post1838384
    Overnight Sensations MT Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ation-MT-build

Comment

I envy your pile of aviatrix goodness. I just built the tritrix sealed and am blown away, I can't imagine how good your set up will sound.

Comment

Where are you at in Colorado? I have been trying to pay attention and see how many here are in the Colorado area...

Jason
        Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

Comment

Originally posted by RINNAV View Post
          Where are you at in Colorado? I have been trying to pay attention and see how many here are in the Colorado area...

Jason
          SE Aurora
          My AviaTrix Build Thread

Comment

I chose MDF for the enclosures as my intent is to paint them afterwards. I didn't want to waste money on veneer if the LCR are going to be recessed into the wall. I know there are MANY opinions about mounting them in-wall, but I just have to give it a shot and see if it is acceptable to me.

Since MDF comes in 49x97 sheets, you are going to have a difficult time making a perfect cut. I choose to do what woodworkers usually do...trim it down to a manageable size and then make your precision cuts.

In order to get it close, say within 1/4", I use a straight edge system from Rockler. If you use one of these, use it as a guide (as it's intended). If you push into it, you can be off by a 1/16" or better.

I used wood sawhorses. This allows me to have the blade set at about an inch depth and cut right through the MDF and only a 1/4" into the sawhorse. The MDF stays put when cut and I don't have to have anyone hold the cut piece.

Once you get them to their individual sizes, make your precision cuts on the tablesaw. One thing about tablesaws....do some research on youtube about table saw safety...even if you are comfortable using a tablesaw. I learned new things and some tricks that will help you get perfect cuts. Tuning up your saw before use can make a huge difference.
            My AviaTrix Build Thread

Comment

A note on MDF. You've probably already read on here about how dusty it is and how it's bad for your respiratory system. I used a standard dust mask and looking back, would strongly advise to get something that makes a good seal to your face. After cutting, I pulled off my mask and still had some dust around my mouth and nose.

Hearing protection is strongly recommended too...gotta hear the speakers when you are done! In addition, it keeps the MDF dust from collecting in your ears.

MDF dust gets EVERYWHERE! My son left his window open on the second floor and I didn't know it. He had a layer of MDF dust on his dresser.

My AviaTrix Build Thread

Comment

Now that I have all the pieces cut, it's time to work on the baffles. Measure everything out carefully according to the design.

I chose to make the circles instead of just marking the centers. Probably a little anal retentive but it sure is sweet to see your line getting cut perfectly by your router.

Once I had my centers marked, I chose to center punch them to ensure the drill bit stays true when I drill them.

In addition to the guide holes for my router buddy, I went ahead and drilled 1/2" holes for the tweeter connections.

My AviaTrix Build Thread

Comment

I'll be building a set of Aviatrix soon, and will be following your thread with great interest. It's looking great -- your's is a pretty ambitious build.

FF?
                  Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                  Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                  Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                  Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                  Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                  NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

Moving it all outside for routering. One tool I think is awesome for routering is my bench cookies from Rockler. When you lay you piece of wood on them, it doesn't move or slide at all. Plus it elevates them which allows you to router completely through your board without hitting your work surface below.

As far as my router, I used a Skil 1810. Instead of the Jasper jig, I chose to go with the Router Buddy as it is built more solidly and can adjusted to exactly your desire. The Jasper jig only does 1/16" increments. If your router plate isn't dead center over your bit, then it will be off. The Router Buddy is a PITA though to get it set perfectly. I STRONGLY recommend testing on a scrap piece first. I would do that anyway even with the Jasper jig.

You need to cut your recessed area first. Afterward you can cut the inner circle.

There was still a small piece where the cutout was. This can be trimmed up with a razor knife.

The last thing I did was check to make sure the tweeter fit perfectly.

My AviaTrix Build Thread

Comment

Next, I moved on to the woofer cutouts. Watching the router bit cut right on the line reassured me everything was going good.

After cutting out the first hole, I checked to ensure a perfect fit.

One thing I did to help keep the dust down was to attached my shopvac to the work surface. Instead of vaccuum, I used it to blow the dust away from my work area.

My AviaTrix Build Thread

Comment

At the end of the day I had a beautiful sight on the ground. Overall, it was very time consuming to ensure everything was cut right, but worth the effort.

The finished product turned out awesome.

My AviaTrix Build Thread

Comment

HJ,

Looking very nice. Quick question, what is that black device in the first picture in post 11? Thanks.

James

Comment

Originally posted by exojam View Post
                            HJ,

Looking very nice. Quick question, what is that black device in the first picture in post 11? Thanks.

James
                            That's the base plate for the router buddy jig.
                            My AviaTrix Build Thread

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks.

James

Comment

Working...
                              X