Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1" thick mdf... anyone ever worked with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1" thick mdf... anyone ever worked with it?

Is it really expensive and/or really hard to find?

Thanks

Re: 1" thick mdf... anyone ever worked with it?

I couldn't find it around here so I glued together two pieces of 3/4". I think the 1.5" thick baffles are way over kill for my 7" two way! If it was a 12" sub then probably more appropriate. 1" would have been perfect. In hind sight I should have glued together two 1/2" pieces :rolleyes:
    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Yeah, I've made 1" by laminating 3/4 and 1/4...

But specifically I'm curious about getting some 1", if possible.

I know it's rare, but how rare?

Comment

I was looking for 1" for a while and I finally found a place that would special order single sheet quantities for $40.60/sheet. That price is right in line with what HD and Lowes sell 3/4" around here ($30.xx sheet). I haven't bought any 1" yet, but it's at least good to know I can get it.

The problem is as that they are almost 45 minutes away and a single sheet weighs about 130lbs, I just about throw my back out lugging around the 3/4" material as it is.

Oddly enough it was the lumber guy at HD that pointed me in the right direction!

Comment

I used some 1" MDF about two years ago. My local Lowe's told me they would special order it only by the pallet. The gal at Home Depot called their supplier (Cedar Creek, I think). They told her they would not deliver 3 sheets, only pallets. She asked that they not make a special trip, but would they just toss three sheets on the next truck that came to that store? They did. I think I paid $38/sheet at Home Depot 2 years ago.

A one inch thick 4' x 8' sheet of MDF would be a little heavy to a mere mortal, and we DIY Speaker-Builders laugh at their puny little efforts!

Comment

I've used it. It was proportional in expense -- if you can find it. Better have a buddy if you buy a single sheet. Laminating two sheets of 1/2" would probably do as well or better.
            Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
            "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
            Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

I've used MDF stair steps from Lowe's for some thick baffles. It's over an inch thick (1-1/8?).

I just rip off the rounded front edge and cut to size. Works well for baffles, but of course the width you can cut from it is limited.
              Bill Schneider
              -+-+-+-+-
              www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Plum Creek is the maker. Places like Boise Cascade carry it.

I have used 1 1/4" MDF and it is nice to work with but wooh! it was heavy.;)

Comment

Yes, stair treads are 1 1/8" thick. I used some particle board treads for a project. Would be great easily transportable source of thick mdf, width limited.

Comment

Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
                    I've used MDF stair steps from Lowe's for some thick baffles. It's over an inch thick (1-1/8?).

I just rip off the rounded front edge and cut to size. Works well for baffles, but of course the width you can cut from it is limited.
                    +1 for this!
                    "If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? - Dogen

"Why are you wearing that stupid human suit" - Frank

"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back" - Roland

Comment

I've used it on a few tank-like subs, very heavy, not easily sourced, but makes a helluva cabinet. I used 1" MDF on that 12" RSS sub I made for my nephew. Try a dedicated "lumber" supplier, as opposed to the usual stack-em-high-sell-em-low places like HD or Lowes. I've had better results & service with a real lumber supplier, as most of the folks that work at the local HD/Lowes are pretty clueless. The stair-tread stuff is a great idea. I've used 1" thick MDF shelf boards, too. I've found it up to 16" wide and various lengths. Mostly I use the 12" wide boards, but you can get 'em down to 6-8".

John A.
                      "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                      Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                      Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                      Pioneer TX-9500 II
                      Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                      Statement Monitors
                      Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                      Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                      Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

I found some 1 1/4" on Craigslist that were cut offs from a furniture manufacturer. I'm not sure what the original size was, but the "cut offs" were 4' X 5' and were still 80 lbs:eek: But they were $10 a piece. I could only put 20 in my truck, so my brother & I each took 10. Pic is a project using the 1 1/4" for the baffle, which let me do 45 degree chamfers on my table saw. BTW, I still have 5 sheets left if anybody in the Dallas area will give me what I paid for it:D
                        Attached Files
                        Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Wow, what a score.

Comment

I ve made a few baffle laminating 1/2" together with the inner 1/2 being the interior dimension and the outer the exterior. Its much less clunky than when you do two 3/4" layers.

Comment

Using some right now and I got it from a lumber yard a mile from my house. It came in a little over $50 for a 4x8' sheet. Man, I wish I'd known about those tread pieces - they'd be great to work with for baffles because I'd forgotten how heavy that thing was. LOL, I weigh about 155 and I carried that thing about 150' around the back of my house, down through my bulkhead and around tight corners in my basement and I was damn near broken. :eek: If ordering a sheet consider getting it partially cut at the yard especially if you have a small table saw. But now in small pieces we're making some nice baffles - 3/4 roundovers are a cinch without a router table. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X