replied
    Re: MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

Ready for the epoxy seal coat.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by DoubleTap View Post
    I hope it's REAL dark grey, or else it limits veneer options that's work with it.
    Ed says it's almost black. Paint color is carbon metallic.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTap
    replied

I hope it's REAL dark grey, or else it limits veneer options that's work with it.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

I've been told by Ed that the paint of choice is going to be a dark gray with metal flake, the same color as his truck.

Dark gray with metal flake . . . ties in real nice with the look of that Vifa cone.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTap
    replied

I had my Seas W22EX mounted fairly similarly, and the measured FR below 1000hz was for all intent identical to being flush mounted ... so I'm not worried about it at all.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
    did he cut the wave guide profile by hand?
    Reason I asked is because I've ordered custom rosette cutter knifes that can be used in a large drill press with a designated head. Something to think about if this is going to be repeated.
    Also, Pete, how does mounting the woofer behind the baffle with a bit of a round over like you have here, affect the FR? Do you have surface mounted vs rear mounted as shown here by any chance?
    Thanks, R.
    He used a machine called a RadarCarve. Basically, a router on an arm that is controlled by a stylus you use to follow a pattern, in this case, a waveguide. It can be used to duplicate objects, like guitar patterns and such.

There's likely to be some FR variance due to the rear mounted woofer. I'm hoping it takes place in the stop band for the most part, based on the geometry of the configuration. Target is a 1KHz XO point, maybe just a tad lower, but not much, and thats about where you'd expect the woofer to begin beaming. The lower frequencies, which might "see" the rounded edge, will be quite a bit longer than the dimensions of that roundover. But that's all guesses on my part.

Problem is, I don't have the parts yet to take the measurements. Ed's building this in Detroit, and then sending it here to St. Louis for Ryan and I to finish. I dropped him the woofers to make sure he got a perfect fit. If we find we need to modify the baffle to fix a glaring problem, then you can bet we will. But I've got high hopes for this. ;)

Leave a comment:

• r-carpenter
    replied

did he cut the wave guide profile by hand?
    Reason I asked is because I've ordered custom rosette cutter knifes that can be used in a large drill press with a designated head. Something to think about if this is going to be repeated.
    Also, Pete, how does mounting the woofer behind the baffle with a bit of a round over like you have here, affect the FR? Do you have surface mounted vs rear mounted as shown here by any chance?
    Thanks, R.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Waveguides cut, and baffles readied for paint.

Inner baffle epoxy sealed.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by DjDisturbed View Post
    How are the outer baffles going to be covered (paint, leather, veneer, etc...)?
    I just was trying to get an idea of what it was going to look like.
    Btw, they look awesome already.
    Ed's going to paint this particular set of baffles, and the cabinet veneered by DoubleTap. In a future version, he's going to build the outer baffle/WG from a piece of hardwood, curly narra, with the disc created from the woofer cutout, with the enclosure painted piano gloss black. And it's funny you mention leather . . . that's an option Ed and I have discussed for a year now.

Leave a comment:

• DjDisturbed
    replied

How are the outer baffles going to be covered (paint, leather, veneer, etc...)?
    I just was trying to get an idea of what it was going to look like.
    Btw, they look awesome already.

Leave a comment:

• DDF
    replied

Ed is applying a few layers of CAE VB1x to the aluminum backed rubber that was applied to the walls. PE part number 268-256. Here's the first coat sitting and waiting to dry.
    Did the similar: epoxy coated (insides though + corner fillets), damping layer, 2" baffles. You will be very happy with the result. Small/Med cabinets built this way are a non-factor IME.

Leave a comment:

• killersoundz
    replied

These are crazy!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Waveguide rough cut. 2nd pass takes the clutter off.

He says the first one is done with the 2nd pass and he's starting on the second one now.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Ed just sent me a shot of the back side of the inner baffle. No one will see this of course, as the baffle will be epoxied into place. :D :eek:

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by ssyfert View Post
    Pete, is it the NE225W-04 that's on sale, or the -08?

This thread is really fun to watch, I keep staring at the cabinets saying 'is there some way I could make a simpler version of these, something more attainable for a novice?' I just can't see it yet, maybe you could offer some tips for others who might want to build these.
    The 4 Ohm version.

As for a simpler version of the cabinet? I'm hoping the waveguide test mule works out, a baffle made to fit the PE .75cf cabinet. Ed might make those baffles available to the DIY here if the price for his time and effort is right.

More on that as testing actually begins.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X