X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssyfert
    replied
    Re: MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

Pete, is it the NE225W-04 that's on sale, or the -08?

This thread is really fun to watch, I keep staring at the cabinets saying 'is there some way I could make a simpler version of these, something more attainable for a novice?' I just can't see it yet, maybe you could offer some tips for others who might want to build these.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Outer baffle from both sides. Tweeter, probably the RS28F, will be mounted by its flange to the disc.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Oh man, these are looking fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Inching closer to completed cabinets.

The inner baffle below has the recess that accepts the NE225W. On top of that will be placed the outer baffle, holding the woofer down by sandwiching it between the baffles. The hole in the tweeter spot is there to accept the waveguide which will consist of a disc mounted to the outer baffle, shown at the bottom of the picture.

The matched pair.

Next up, carving the waveguides into the baffle.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Here's a shot of the look with the roundover applied to the through hole.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Woofer holes are cut. Next step will be adding a 1" radius round over on the woofer holes. Then, onto the radarcarve for waveguide forming.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by DanP View Post
    There's a separate section at Lowes (I assume HD as well, but I refuse to step foot in there) for electrical conduit PVC that has some different sizes, one of which is 2.5" ID.

Those enclosures are going to be very impressive when they're done. I saw the Byzantium Sr. enclosures at InDIYana 2 years ago and they looked incredible, but I have a feeling this smaller scale version is going to be even more attractive. Well done guys.

Dan
    Thanks for the idea on where to find it.

You should swing by Ed's for a first hand look. He's in Eastpointe, right there near Detroit.

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied

But where do you find a nice looking 2.5" diameter port? The precision port with the flare is pretty nice looking, but I'd rather see the flare cut into the MDF and painted for a seamless surface. This one is OK, but what I'd rather have is some 2.5" diameter plastic stock PVC that I could mount in a recess in the bottom piece, and then turn a 1" roundover at the exit.
    There's a separate section at Lowes (I assume HD as well, but I refuse to step foot in there) for electrical conduit PVC that has some different sizes, one of which is 2.5" ID.

Those enclosures are going to be very impressive when they're done. I saw the Byzantium Sr. enclosures at InDIYana 2 years ago and they looked incredible, but I have a feeling this smaller scale version is going to be even more attractive. Well done guys.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Ed is applying a few layers of CAE VB1x to the aluminum backed rubber that was applied to the walls. PE part number 268-256. Here's the first coat sitting and waiting to dry.

Leave a comment:

• czag
    replied

But where do you find a nice looking 2.5" diameter port?
    I have had good luck gluing two of these together using 2 part epoxy. I cut each down to half the needed length and file down the inside flare's ribs down so I can take the whole thing out if necessary. Just a thought for the future. Much cheaper than the Precision ports.

Chris
    Last edited by czag; 08-04-2011, 09:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    Should have used "mini" passive radiators instead :D
    We actually thought about it. The only place to really put it is on the bottom, which is usually a difficult placement for a PR.

But the tuning isn't that low, and the port won't be that long. It will easily fit within the enclosure with plenty of clearance to any surface. We'll tune it in place, with a surface below the feet, which should reduce the port length even further. Even with 100W driving the woofer, port velocity at 34Hz won't exceed 30m/s. Could realistically get away with 2.5" port, 6.5" long, which pushes up self resonance from 675Hz to 1000Hz at the penalty of slightly more port noise at ridiculous power levels.

But where do you find a nice looking 2.5" diameter port? The precision port with the flare is pretty nice looking, but I'd rather see the flare cut into the MDF and painted for a seamless surface. This one is OK, but what I'd rather have is some 2.5" diameter plastic stock PVC that I could mount in a recess in the bottom piece, and then turn a 1" roundover at the exit.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

Should have used "mini" passive radiators instead :D

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    Aren't the tops of those ports way too close to the enclosure ;)
    That's the full length of the tube. We'll be trimming a few inches off that more than likely. 10" is all we need to tune the volume to 37Hz. I think that tube is something like 13".

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

Aren't the tops of those ports way too close to the enclosure ;)

Leave a comment:

• superspeeder
    replied

Subscribing... WOW!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X