• rmeinke
    replied
    Re: MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

Flipping amazing...

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Here's a close up of the matching sides, showing Ed's spacer for holding the sides at the correct separation while the epoxy sets.

I like the looks of those smooth, and well defined panel edges, with the epoxy layers showing through.

I can't wait to see what he comes up with for applying the backs.

Leave a comment:

• rmeinke
    replied

Man Pete, these are just crazy amazing. Hard looking at simple boxes after seeing these bad boys! Watching this one closely...

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Here's the pair on their jigs. Ed says he's gotten all four sides within 1mm of each other, all the way round.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Been a while since an update. Ed's been taking some vacations, and building some jigs to fabricate perfect clones so the set is truly matching.

Below are pictures of a less than perfect attempt, with a single layer of HDF applied to the back. Ed used those to measure the volume with sand. (Came it at 1.25 cubic feet.) Get a nice sense of the lines from these two shots.

Turns out that we'll probably stick the Vifa NE225W in there instead of the Usher. Cross it between 1000 and 1200 to the waveguide loaded RS28F. But now that we know the volume, there are numerous options for woofers, including the Discovery and SB Acoustics models.

I've been told to expect the cabinets fairly soon. Looking forward to it for sure.

Ed described the second picture as reminiscent of Beyonce. :D ;)

Leave a comment:

• DjDisturbed
    replied

Those look like they will be another awesome looking speaker. And those drivers should sound great paired together. I would like to have those drivers to make a TM cabinet myself.
    It will be interesting to see the waveguide for the tweeter made into the baffle with that piece of wood he picked out.

Leave a comment:

• gvimhoof
    replied

Woof!

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Progress continues rapidly. He's got the left side ready, and almost done on the right. You can clearly see the epoxy layers now that it's been sanded smooth.

Leave a comment:

• r-carpenter
    replied

Nice!
    I do unibond, heat (about 165f) and vacuum for 4 hours. I also fabricate the "mother" for vacuum clamping.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
    French developed this technique in the beginning of 20th century. Curved doors on Deco cabinets. They also used scoring which is not as good of a solution for a speaker wall. I 100 years old see panels that are laminated just as your friend did and they are in a great shape. It's really a good way of doing curved wall enclosure. I usually use vacuum set up. Is he clamping cold?
    Simple clamps at the edges of the form, using the natural tendency of the panels to snap back to create all the pressure during the cure of the marine grade epoxy. There's a LOT of spring tension in those 6 panels. Ed lets them cure for at least 8 hours.

Leave a comment:

• r-carpenter
    replied

Six, 1/8" HDF boards with epoxy in between each layer. Amazingly strong when cured. Panels are under a LOT of tension as they cure, resulting in a type of pre-stressed panel at the end. It's the hardest cabinet material I've ever encountered that wasn't marble or metal. Think, bowling ball, and you get an idea of how hard and stiff the result is.
    French developed this technique in the beginning of 20th century. Curved doors on Deco cabinets. They also used scoring which is not as good of a solution for a speaker wall. I 100 years old see panels that are laminated just as your friend did and they are in a great shape. It's really a good way of doing curved wall enclosure. I usually use vacuum set up. Is he clamping cold?

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by Tony G View Post
    Very cool :-D Is that hardboard for the sides? Looks like the thin layers (1/16") were bent and laminated in the bent form, then cut.
    Six, 1/8" HDF boards with epoxy in between each layer. Amazingly strong when cured. Panels are under a LOT of tension as they cure, resulting in a type of pre-stressed panel at the end. It's the hardest cabinet material I've ever encountered that wasn't marble or metal. Think, bowling ball, and you get an idea of how hard and stiff the result is.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Another update from Ed. Check out the Curly Narra block. He's going to be slicing that up into a pair of identical book matched 1.5" thick baffles.

Really pretty curves on the top view. And check out the new toy!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Wait 'til you see top/back on each cabinet. I'll be scratching my head bald asking how he does that.

Leave a comment:

• Tony G
    replied

Very cool :-D Is that hardboard for the sides? Looks like the thin layers (1/16") were bent and laminated in the bent form, then cut.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X