X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lunchmoney
    replied
    Re: MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

How the heck were those side panels bent?

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Sides getting glued to the bottom.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Ed's making rapid progress. These will be amazingly strong/rigid cabinets. And he's got some nice plans for interior wall damping.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by davepellegrene View Post
    Those are going to be sweet. I bet there will be a lot of "what was I thinking" moments.

Dave
    You and Ed are quite the inspirational fabricators. It's amazing to me that this is perhaps Ed's 4th attempt at cabinet building (I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm off by a mile). He's just a natural. Helps to have the right tools for the job, but he's got a mind for finding the simple way to reach the end goal.

I'd love to show all you guys his jigs for those side panels . . . but then I'd have to shoot you. :p

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied

Those should end up looking fabulous. I'm deliriously happy if I manage to end up with completely square cabinets!:p
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• dantheman
    replied

Originally posted by D, Rose View Post
    Whoa!:eek: I GOTTA clean the garage!!!
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• davepellegrene
    replied

Originally posted by D, Rose View Post
    Whoa!:eek: I GOTTA clean the garage!!! At least I made the seasonal trip to take all the bottles and cans back Saturday!!! :rolleyes:
    Those are going to be sweet. I bet there will be a lot of "what was I thinking" moments.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• D, Rose
    replied

Whoa!:eek: I GOTTA clean the garage!!! At least I made the seasonal trip to take all the bottles and cans back Saturday!!! :rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by OlderMongrel View Post
    Very, very, cool, Pete. I don't suppose such cabs will ever be available for DIYers. Any plan to build a matching sub?

John
    The matching sub comes included in the full size Byzantium . . . :D

That is something to look into for sure. Complimenting that shape could be a real challenge as a bass bin.

I'm not sure Ed's ready to make such cabinets available to the DIY'er just yet. ;)

Leave a comment:

• OlderMongrel
    replied

Very, very, cool, Pete. I don't suppose such cabs will ever be available for DIYers. Any plan to build a matching sub?

John

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    started a topic MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

Ed Rosenquist sent me some pictures of the first MiniByzy cabinet construction. So I thought I'd go ahead and start the build thread to document some of the steps Ed's taken to fashion the incredible cabinets we schemed up a few months back. He's mastered the pre-stressed panel construction technique, which results in fantastically strong enclosures. Being a guitar maker has its advantages as well.

Sadly, these aren't for me, but gladly, I get to work on them and listen for a while. You can bet that DoubleTap will be giving his input as well, since he's the source for the Ushers. Should be real stunners when completed. Can't wait to see what hardwood Ed is going to cut the baffles from.

Look familiar? The MiniByzy, 20" tall, 11" at the base, and 16" deep when baffle is applied. Rear mounted woofer and tweeter, with removable solid hardwood baffle with integral 7" waveguide carved into it. Ed says his choice of wood will wait until something moves him when he's in the hardwood store. That will dictate whether paint or veneer goes onto the body of the speaker.

Tentative Driver compliment, Usher 8948A, RS28F. Vent on the bottom baffle. Epoxy/HDF sandwich, pre-stressed, curved panels for the sides, rear/top. Vinyl/aluminum damping on interior walls sealed in acoustic dampening paint. 2" Mineral wool acoustic panels on the sides, bottom and rear.

Should be right up there with these $2800 Ushers.

Working...
X