• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Re: MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
    Looks great Pete!

Here's one for ya. Can you guess which speaker this is from? (Hint, you were invloved indirectly):D
    Hmmm . . . Surroundround?

Leave a comment:

• dlneubec
    replied

Looks great Pete!

Here's one for ya. Can you guess which speaker this is from? (Hint, you were invloved indirectly):D

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by CUtiger View Post
    Looks almost as good as that new pic in your avatar. Pretty remarkable to me how little and consistently the response falls off axis across that entire range.
    No kidding. It still shocks me how well that guide controls the tweeter radiation. The balance from the top of the band to the bottom maintains its character much better than a flat baffle implementation.

Here's the off axis performance of the RS28F on a flat baffle, courtesy of MarkK.

Leave a comment:

• CUtiger
    replied

Looks almost as good as that new pic in your avatar. Pretty remarkable to me how little and consistently the response falls off axis across that entire range.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Thought I'd post another set of plots at 20, 45, and 60 degrees of the current version.

What do you waveguide/horn guys think of this?

1/6th octave smoothing.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by cjd View Post
    Makes me wonder if the felt dot in the RS28A is assisting nicely.
    I was wondering if the fact that it's aluminum allows the diaphragm to better handle the increased acoustic loading.

The top octave performance of the RS28A sure seems improved in the guide over just being on a flat baffle. I'd think that would be where the pad would be contributing.

When the L.O.K.I. baffle gets here, I can do a swap with the same signal and get a better side-by-side comparison. That response above was two different runs, so I don't know if test conditions were identical. Not sure if I got the levels matched at the correct frequency, so it may all be just increased output above 3KHz on the part of the RS28F. At least I know I can dial in a +- 1.5dB response from either one.

Leave a comment:

• cjd
    replied

Yes, red is the RS28A.

The speaker wasn't in the exact same spot, so the low end response is slightly different.

Quit obsessing, and come over and pick up this pair for yourself. ;)

Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas!!! :D

Here's how the A and F differ in the waveguide. I'm wondering if the aluminum dome might be just a bit better suited to the additional loading provided by the waveguide.

Makes me wonder if the felt dot in the RS28A is assisting nicely.

Leave a comment:

• roscoeiii
    replied

Oh the temptation is mighty (as I look around for what I can liquidate...)

Leave a comment:

• foxfire3
    replied

That looks really great Pete!

I agree...I think you've taken that design and perfected it about as much as you can.

Now, if Pete decides to part with them, who will be the lucky one to wake up with these speakers under their tree?:D

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by raiderone View Post
    Hi Pete,

Thanks for documenting your build.

Can the MiniByzy be built as a floorstander? Keep the baffle width the same but not as deep and more vertical (same volume)? How important is the pointed top baffle/waveguide? I don't know if any of us are up to building a complex curved cabinet. I did order a pair of the Vifas when they were on sale, but have not had time to test them (hope I got a good pair). If not I'll return them and go for the 8ohm version instead. Thanks.
    I suppose it could be a floor stander. But it's only 1.2 cubic feet. Maybe a false bottom holding the crossover to add some height. I'd not want to sacrifice too much cabinet depth, as I think that helps contain the midrange standing waves when the interior has a good chunk of Roxul in the middle.

I don't know how much the baffle shape eating into the guide affects the response. I'll learn more about that when the RS225/RS28F project shows up. Ed's cutting the baffles right now. Those will be full waveguides with no truncated edges. I'll be starting a new thread to document that build, since it will be much easier for someone to duplicate. I think we'll take these to Dayton next summer.

While I'm here, I suppose I'll post the final response of the RS28F XO after a couple more small tweaks. I gotta call this one done.

Leave a comment:

• raiderone
    replied

Hi Pete,

Thanks for documenting your build.

Can the MiniByzy be built as a floorstander? Keep the baffle width the same but not as deep and more vertical (same volume)? How important is the pointed top baffle/waveguide? I don't know if any of us are up to building a complex curved cabinet. I did order a pair of the Vifas when they were on sale, but have not had time to test them (hope I got a good pair). If not I'll return them and go for the 8ohm version instead. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by roscoeiii View Post
    The red trace is the RS28A?

Why the steeper drop off in the blue trace?

Boy I really ought to be getting other things done, but eh I am enjoying obsessing over this design. There are worse ways to pass a cold Saturday afternoon (and of course records are spinning as I obsess over what speaker might be next for me...).
    Yes, red is the RS28A.

The speaker wasn't in the exact same spot, so the low end response is slightly different.

Here's how the A and F differ in the waveguide. I'm wondering if the aluminum dome might be just a bit better suited to the additional loading provided by the waveguide.

Last edited by Pete Schumacher; 12-10-2011, 06:51 PM. Reason: Added response plot for A vs F

Leave a comment:

• roscoeiii
    replied

The red trace is the RS28A?

Why the steeper drop off in the blue trace?

Boy I really ought to be getting other things done, but eh I am enjoying obsessing over this design. There are worse ways to pass a cold Saturday afternoon (and of course records are spinning as I obsess over what speaker might be next for me...).

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Oh, I subbed in the RS28F today, and found out that they are far from drop in replacements. Values had to change quite a bit due to the response differences between the tweeters in the range above 4KHz. Turns out that the A version has a bit more output on the low end in the waveguide. The two XOs are quite a bit different in their values, but the response is pretty darn close. Now, to spend some time listening again.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by roscoeiii View Post
    Hmmm, that 12" 2 way sounds lovely. May be too early to ask, but similar crossover point? Box size?

Oh dear have I fallen hard for these speakers.
    Enclosure would be about 3 cubic feet. Same XO point of 1KHz. Basically, the Econowave Deluxe but using a dome tweeter instead of the compression tweeter.

They wouldn't be nearly as handsome however . . . ;)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X