X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roscoeiii
    replied
    Re: MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

Hmmm, that 12" 2 way sounds lovely. May be too early to ask, but similar crossover point? Box size?

Oh dear have I fallen hard for these speakers.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Hell yeah. Do It.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by roscoeiii View Post
    Yeah, I came across this speaker at the Chicago DIY meet and couldn't get it out of my head. So headed over here to join the fun.
    I can't get it out of my head either.

It's been listened to for at least 4 hours a day since I got them in the living room and started messing with the XO changes. They're just loads of fun. At this time of night, I set the power level of the amp to do maybe 1W, and they don't give up any detail. I may not hear the deepest rumblings of Massive Attack, but all the mids and highs are superbly rendered.

The more I listen, the more I really like this Vifa woofer. Absolutely stunning performance. It's a bit of a tough load on some amps though. Future iterations will be using the 8 Ohm version instead for that reason. It's not really tube friendly in this incarnation. But the old Sansui just loves it.

I was talking with Foxfire3 about a possible project using the Eminence Kappalite 3012LF in a floor stander, and the same waveguide/tweeter combo.

Anyone up for a 12" 2-way? :eek: :D

Leave a comment:

• roscoeiii
    replied

Yeah, I came across this speaker at the Chicago DIY meet and couldn't get it out of my head. So headed over here to join the fun.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Yeah, figured as much. Silly room effects...

And glad to hear that the metal test has been passed.

Played around with sub integration on these? For that last lil bit of bass...
    Hey, I just noticed that you're a new member, and decided to initiate your posts right here in this thread.
    Welcome to the board!!!

For almost any music you can think of, there's really no reason to include a sub. They shake the room, rattle the windows, cause things on the walls in other rooms to buzz. The only thing they may not do as well with would be movies and effects. But there's real bass, palpable, to just below system tuning at 33Hz. It's one heck of a monitor. For most folks, these would be all they'd need for music. I mean they put out 105dB at 35Hz before reaching Xmax! For watching movies, I'd actively cross these between 40Hz and 60Hz to the subs.

Leave a comment:

• roscoeiii
    replied

Yeah, figured as much. Silly room effects...

And glad to hear that the metal test has been passed.

Played around with sub integration on these? For that last lil bit of bass...

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Great looking measurements. Think that dip at around 200Hz is room related?
    Floor/wall bounce. Typical of most stand mount 2-ways. I don't notice it, since the room fills in those frequencies pretty well. Male vocals especially show no indication of any suck-out in that region.

All of the wiggles below 500Hz are room related. Close mic test of the woofer is extremely smooth to past 1KHz.

Leave a comment:

• roscoeiii
    replied

Great looking measurements. Think that dip at around 200Hz is room related?

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Wow you're flat to 35Hz or so? Nice. I actually made a rat's nest out of some crossover parts the the drivers I've been sitting on for over a year. It's exciting and I have an issue already, but I'll create a thread in a minute for it.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Cued up some Nightwish just now. Dark Passion Play. Set the volume control on the G8000 to just shy of 11. Even all the way up, there is no chance of clipping, just clean 200W peaks available to these "diminutive" 2-ways.

I can honestly say that these are every bit as fun to listen to as the Byzantiums now. Maybe not the quantity of foundation shaking bass, but that's it. Everything else is there in droves.

These Vifa woofers deliver impeccable midrange, even under assault from the bass lines present in these Nightwish cuts. I'd have to say that this combo doesn't give up anything to the Scanspeak 15W for midrange performance. I've no doubt the waveguide is a big contributor here, allowing the tweeter to cover another full octave of the mids, but without stressing at all.

Here's a 10W signal ([email protected]) with the distortion shown (almost all 2nd harmonic). Noise floor is affecting both the low and high end. I need a fanless PC!!!

These are now officially METAL APPROVED!!!!

Leave a comment:

• olu78
    replied

Hello guys!! Glad that this thread is helping to serve as a great source of understanding and enjoyment. Go ahead and build me a set or 10' D.Rose! Great looking/measuring speakers those mini byzy's truly are. What do you know, I get my hands on some T-lab tweeters, and then this!! Great minds, inquisitive minds, think alike! Can't wait to try out the Beryllium T-Labs, when available. I am appreciative of your intent, Pete, to make available a diy build of similarity, for those of interest. And in regards to the findings related to glue joints, and offset in the Ne225's, please send any images you have of the junction area of your drivers, functional or faulty, and t/s data available. I remain in contact with Tymphany, and await info from China, soon! Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by CUtiger View Post
    Wow Pete, that 45 degree response sure is impressive!
    You ain't kidding. I've done one at 60 degrees, and it is almost like the 45 degree plot, just dropping off a little more above 10KHz. The ability of this particular guide profile to so evenly spread the goodness was a total, but very welcome surprise. Greatly exceeding expectations would be a perfect way to describe my impressions. They do indeed sound incredibly uniform as you move around the room.

I just talked to Ed today, and he's going to start cranking out some waveguide baffles for those still interested. We also hope to do a RS225/RS28 combo soon that we'll submit to the PE Gallery as a DIY.

I'll start a new thread for that one.

Thanks again to DanP for starting us out on this waveguide adventure, and the incredible accident that this particular profile proved to be.

Leave a comment:

• CUtiger
    replied

Wow Pete, that 45 degree response sure is impressive!

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
    Hey Pete,

I'm looking forward to your results with the N26C in that waveguide. I have the N26C in my hands now as well, but my ability to measure is a bit compromized these days, so I don't know when I will get around to it.

You plan to give a listen with anything as well? That is what I'm most interested in, since I know they measure great.
    The intention is to use these in this setup. You can count on some measurements and subjective listening impressions.

Leave a comment:

• dlneubec
    replied

Hey Pete,

I'm looking forward to your results with the N26C in that waveguide. I have the N26C in my hands now as well, but my ability to measure is a bit compromized these days, so I don't know when I will get around to it.

You plan to give a listen with anything as well? That is what I'm most interested in, since I know they measure great.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X