• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Re: MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

Originally posted by jcpahman77 View Post
    These still get an 10 out of 10 as far as I'm concerned.
    Well, let's just see if we can't make it go to eleven . . . :D

Leave a comment:

• jcpahman77
    replied

With the drivers mounted behind the front baffle, there's almost no way out of having something there to hold it on, either from the front, or back. We thought about some kind of mechanism that would grab the baffle and pull it tight against the enclosure, but anything else is just too complicated. We could try something like making the bottom removable, and attach the outer baffle from the inside of the enclosure, but that would entail a rethink of the whole assembly since the base is integral to creating the upper part of the enclosure.

But you did just give me an idea that I'll have to pass along to Ed . . .
    I'm aware of the construction and the limitations inherent in the design employed here. Ordinarily I won't 'criticize' someone's product without offering some sort of input as to how to 'correct' it. I'm having a hard time talking negatively about these at all because they do look so stunning, but I figured those that made the cabinets are so far above my level in woodworking, perhaps suggesting something could be done would be enough. It seems a bit like it may have worked if you have an idea to pass along to Ed. These still get an 10 out of 10 as far as I'm concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    Can you put some spaces in between those pictures? lol, it's impossible to read even on my 1600px wide screen, lol
    fixed . . . ;)

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Can you put some spaces in between those pictures? lol, it's impossible to read even on my 1600px wide screen, lol

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
    Those are gorgeous Pete! :eek:

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to hear them.

Jim
    I'll bring a set to Iowa next year.

And perhaps a "high end" version in the same cabinet using some exotic drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

The level of craftsmanship on all sides of these cabinets is incredibly impressive. I can't help but think though, that will all the work in the finishing that there has to be a way to 'hide' those mounting screws on the front baffle. It just seems a bit like owning a Lamborghini and driving it to Monte Carlo on a donut spare tire.

Please understand, I don't mean that to sound as negative as it likely does. It's just those cabinets are so stunning, and then there are bolts on the face that just seem so... out of place. I guess I just don't have the words to articulate it right now.
    With the drivers mounted behind the front baffle, there's almost no way out of having something there to hold it on, either from the front, or back. We thought about some kind of mechanism that would grab the baffle and pull it tight against the enclosure, but anything else is just too complicated. We could try something like making the bottom removable, and attach the outer baffle from the inside of the enclosure, but that would entail a rethink of the whole assembly since the base is integral to creating the upper part of the enclosure.

But you did just give me an idea that I'll have to pass along to Ed . . .

Leave a comment:

• jcpahman77
    replied

The level of craftsmanship on all sides of these cabinets is incredibly impressive. I can't help but think though, that will all the work in the finishing that there has to be a way to 'hide' those mounting screws on the front baffle. It just seems a bit like owning a Lamborghini and driving it to Monte Carlo on a donut spare tire.

Please understand, I don't mean that to sound as negative as it likely does. It's just those cabinets are so stunning, and then there are bolts on the face that just seem so... out of place. I guess I just don't have the words to articulate it right now.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied

Those are gorgeous Pete! :eek:

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to hear them.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen magnesium tweeters. The SEAS W-model woofers are Magnesium-coned.
    Seas T29 'Magnum'. I recall seeing at least one other model, and I can't think of it currently.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Face
    replied

Pretty!

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Finally! We got the veneered cabinets done. Looking good too.

As Ed said in a recent email . . . It was a good build.

I'll post response plots soon for the current XO and RS28F implementation. I still want to evaluate the RS28A, because it really sounded nice in Chicago.

What's up next? Maybe a two-way using Ed's waveguide baffle and the RS225?

Last edited by Pete Schumacher; 11-06-2011, 12:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

There are beryllium domes too. Probably magnesium if you look around.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen magnesium tweeters. The SEAS W-model woofers are Magnesium-coned.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

As far as metal domes go, I can only think of Aluminum and Titanium off the top of my head. Is/are there others I'm missing?
    Beryllium

Leave a comment:

• jcpahman77
    replied

I've heard of beryllium spheres, but I thought the material was something out of sci-fi.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

As far as metal domes go, I can only think of Aluminum and Titanium off the top of my head. Is/are there others I'm missing?
    There are beryllium domes too. Probably magnesium if you look around.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X