X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcpahman77
    replied
    Re: MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

As far as metal domes go, I can only think of Aluminum and Titanium off the top of my head. Is/are there others I'm missing?

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by foxfire3 View Post
    So the last octave of the "A" version rolls off kinda like the Seas 27TBFC/G?
    Yes, a common trait among metal domes of that size.

Leave a comment:

• foxfire3
    replied

So the last octave of the "A" version rolls off kinda like the Seas 27TBFC/G?

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by foxfire3 View Post
    Pete, could you actually hear much difference between the "F" version and the "A" version.

If so, how would you characterize the differences?

Thank you...
    That's the thing, I heard the two versions in different settings. And I really didn't get to listen as critically as I would otherwise when attempting to discern differences. There was a bit of air conditioner noise that somewhat limited the ability to pick up on finer details, along with low level conversations at the back of the room. To me, they sounded pretty darn nice with the aluminum dome, better than I expected actually. Despite the background noise, I was able to pick up on some nice resolution during portions of the cuts on the demo track. From the reactions of some of the guys, it appeared to me that they concurred with that assessment. We've got a pair of both versions here to do a more fitting A/B comparison. The listening room here has a very low noise floor.

The nice part about the A version is that the upper part of the last octave is rolling off somewhat. That's where interface differences can show themselves, at least that's where the problems typically were while doing the waveguide investigations. I'm looking forward to taking some measurements of the A version, as well as some other metal domes, if things look good.

Leave a comment:

• foxfire3
    replied

Pete, could you actually hear much difference between the "F" version and the "A" version.

If so, how would you characterize the differences?

Thank you...

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Well, the gang finally got to hear them, sort of. When we got to Chicago Friday, assembly of the speakers hadn't been completed. As I was prepping everything to stuff inside, I noticed that there was only a single RS28F to install into a pair of cabinets. I immediately thought that imaging and soundstage might be affected and was confused. So I called Ed and he told me that I had all the tweeters he brought . . . ouch.

So, I PM'd Paul Carmody, who was hosting the DIY, that if he had a pair of RS28 laying around, it would be a HUGE favor if he could bring them
    Saturday morning. Well, he did. THANK YOU PAUL!!! Only problem is, they were the RS28A, not the fabric version.

So, we installed them knowing that their response and impedance profiles near cutoff are nearly identical. Chances were good they'd suffice, but I was a little worried. I might be a bit biased, but I thought the aluminum did an awesome job standing in for their fabric siblings.

Can't wait to put the mic in front of the set we have here in StL (home of the world champ Cardinals) and see what the guide does with the aluminum dome version.

If there's a problem with the NE225W-4, it sure wasn't apparent on Saturday around lunch time.

Leave a comment:

• james_e5
    replied

"O" face! :eek:

-j

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Speechless............

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Holy **** bro. That's awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

While the veneered set waits for the finish to be complete, Ed will be bringing the Double Diamond Edition pictured below, to Chicago DIY 2011 on Saturday.

Cadillac White Diamond baffles and Cadillac Black Diamond cabinets. Too bad the lighting is so poor in the garage.

I know there will be better pictures from the event in Chicago.

Wowsers!:eek:

Those are cooool.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

While the veneered set waits for the finish to be complete, Ed will be bringing the Double Diamond Edition pictured below, to Chicago DIY 2011 on Saturday.

Cadillac White Diamond baffles and Cadillac Black Diamond cabinets. Too bad the lighting is so poor in the garage.

I know there will be better pictures from the event in Chicago.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by olu78 View Post
    Hello pete! Hope all is well as you prepare for the 'chi-town' diy event. I have been working to obtain data on the ne225's from tymphany, and have been cataloguing data to this end. Could you send me impedance sweeps, method of t/s parameter generation. Also, the serial numbers of the drivers that perform as desired, as well those exhibiting asymetry or non-linearities. On a side note, approx. How many mm's of excursion, unbaffled, are your drivers capable of before mechanical noises are induced? Thanks for your time and efforts.
    I don't have them with me at the moment. 4 of them are up in Detroit, and 4 more are Ryan's. I can get the serial number information tomorrow and PM you with it.

The first lot that gave me noises has already been returned, and another lot sent to Detroit. The first indication is that the drivers are not making the noises the earlier lot did. And it didn't take much excursion at all to induce the noises.

Thanks for checking with Tymphany.

Leave a comment:

• olu78
    replied

Hello pete! Hope all is well as you prepare for the 'chi-town' diy event. I have been working to obtain data on the ne225's from tymphany, and have been cataloguing data to this end. Could you send me impedance sweeps, method of t/s parameter generation. Also, the serial numbers of the drivers that perform as desired, as well those exhibiting asymetry or non-linearities. On a side note, approx. How many mm's of excursion, unbaffled, are your drivers capable of before mechanical noises are induced? Thanks for your time and efforts.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    "They're a bit like potatos standing on toothpicks at the moment."

LOL....

That design is going to be easy to pair up with stands. When I look at them I keep getting a sailboat image in my head.

There, that's better. ;)

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied

Ed is working on matching stands. We just used what we had on hand for now, while we wait for a matching foundation.

I'd love to see what you come up with Lunch.
    I'll post some sketches when I get a chance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X