X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewski
    replied
    Re: Ruination Rev 2 build

I installed the 1.2mH inductor and it's an improvement from what I heard in limited playing time yesterday. Attached is the crossover layouts as well as the FR as currently predicted by PCD. I think by smoothing out the transition for the woofer's rise the speaker's voicing now sounds much more like the Levitations which Mike and myself feel have that undefinable "It" to them when listening to them. This model now has full BSC applied since I was afraid of them being bass lite if they'd be pulled too far away from the walls.

Take it easy
    Jay

Link to PDF in speaker project gallery http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/RuinationR2_16589.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brewski; 10-07-2011, 12:32 AM. Reason: Link to PDF in speaker project gallery

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
    Glad you are finding a final resting spot for the tweeter, it was close, we just ran out of time!

They really are a value for their $450 or so build cost, they just about passed my 10x test as they were, I can think of pairs of speakers by JM Labs for 3k/pr they were better than.

I am lucky to have guys like Brewski, DLR, BillShu, Lunchmoney, ect. Close by. Keeps the inspirational juices flowing when you can collaborate and share designs and ideas.
    Yeah I think I have the tweeter network they way I want it now. I removed the resistor that was previously present and kept the .5 uf 3.7 ohm combo. I might try changing the woofers from .8 inductor to 1.2 mH as an experiment but I could easily call them done and be happy with them as they currently are. I'm just curious if there is anything more to squeeze out of them or not.

Take it easy
    Jay
    Last edited by Brewski; 06-08-2011, 12:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mzisserson
    replied

Glad you are finding a final resting spot for the tweeter, it was close, we just ran out of time!

They really are a value for their $450 or so build cost, they just about passed my 10x test as they were, I can think of pairs of speakers by JM Labs for 3k/pr they were better than.

I am lucky to have guys like Brewski, DLR, BillShu, Lunchmoney, ect. Close by. Keeps the inspirational juices flowing when you can collaborate and share designs and ideas.

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Still tweaking with the tweeter padding a bit. I think I'm going to try half way between what it was and what Mike and I changed it to at his house. What sounded good while we were tweaking is slightly too bass heavy in my smaller room.

What I noticed the night before taking them to Mike's was on some songs the mix sounded great but on others the lows seemed too weak. We ended up adding a .5 cap paralleled with a 3.7 ohm resistor in series in front of the tweeter's crossover section. This seemed to balance the woofer and the tweeter out more in practice during the listening session over the weekend.

Playing tunes through them last night I felt like the tweeter was getting lost at times so I figured I'd try splitting the difference between the tweeter padding levels and seeing how that works out.

Take it easy
    Jay

PS. Attaching Unisound baffle.jpg Dave_W may still have the CAD files saved if others are looking to have baffles made. I think Ray Tremblay was going to have a baffle made up for RS180's for his unisounds at one point.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brewski; 06-07-2011, 04:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Keith,

I'll need to measure them when I get home but they're ~7.5" w across the front baffle to 8.5w" at the back of the speaker by 39" tall. From the depth I'd have to guess around 16" but I can snags some measurements later tonight.

Take it easy
    Jay

Depth is 14"
    Last edited by Brewski; 06-07-2011, 11:42 AM. Reason: Depth is 14"

Leave a comment:

• keith_correa
    replied

These look uber cool!

Jay, if you don't mind, can you let us know the cabinet dimensions?

-\keith

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Originally posted by stangbat View Post
    After seeing these, I'm kicking myself for selling my AU265s last year. Nice work.
    Thanks for the compliments mine are in the garage right now. I'm waiting for my little one to go to bed to get back to work. I took them to Mike Z's today and I got some good feedback and we tried a few crossover mods while voicing them so I'll work on adding those tweaks listen for a bit and the get the crossovers up in case some wants to try this out for themselves.

Take it easy
    Jay

Last edited by Brewski; 06-06-2011, 03:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stangbat
    replied

Originally posted by blktre View Post
    You know where they are. 30 miles to the west of you:p
    Fix 'em up like Brewski's and I'll buy them back from you. :D

Leave a comment:

• blktre
    replied

Originally posted by stangbat View Post
    After seeing these, I'm kicking myself for selling my AU265s last year. Nice work.
    You know where they are. 30 miles to the west of you:p

Leave a comment:

• stangbat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

I listened to them for 3 hours last night and so far I'm liking what I've heard while playing Dark side of the Moon, Zeppelin, Mad Season, Blue Grass Oh Brother, Where Art Though and others (Wabash Cannonball is a permanent test track after NE DIY last year), Van Morrison, Marley etc...

I'm currently liking the crossovers (I didn't hear anything that made me think that's got to change etc) but figured I'll wait to post up the schematics until after the listening session at Mike's. The Bass is good but since I went full BSC in a fairly small room I'm thinking I'll wait till hearing them in another venue before deciding if I'm adding more fill to go along with the damping on the walls. (I didn't want them lacking Bass at Dayton which was the rational for Full BSC I'll eventually let the receiver EQ the speakers)

Since my wife and our toddler were asleep I didn't crank them so I'm not sure on how they'll fair for air leaks at higher volumes but I didn't hear anything wrong there to this point either.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
    Man, those are nice, nice, nice!

Just sweet looking. I'd love to hear them someday.

Mark
    Thanks Mark. I love the way they look and they're impressing me so far sound wise so I think it's turned out fairly well. I'll need to try taxing the tweeter a bit but I've got to let Brain damage and Eclipse finish up first it would be a crime to stop DSotM before it was done...

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

Man, those are nice, nice, nice!

Just sweet looking. I'd love to hear them someday.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied
    NP Darkside of the Moon

Alright I spent three hours getting them buttoned up early tonight so now I'm enjoying a whiskey and coke listening to dark side of the moon on them. Time is playing currently and the opening drums sounded really nice but I'll need to get some other tracks going before deciding if I'm going to tweak the crossovers more but it sounds pretty promising so far.

Arlis I ended up having to use speaker gasket between the cabs and the baffles after all. Arlis sent me some really thin gasket material which I liked initially on the baffles but since they were starting to warp a bit I'm fairly certain that the thinner material would lead to getting air leaks. I'll have to see how the baffles fair now that the speakers are in the house but they were starting to warp a bit at the bottom my ultimate solution once I'm happy with the damping and crossovers will probably be to sand the old cabs down so I can glue the baffles in place.

Last edited by Brewski; 05-27-2011, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• able1774
    replied
    how to remove drm

Hello everyone, i am newbie here as well as SEO. Accept me. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X