What's next for everybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's next for everybody?

There seems to be an abundance of threads discussing teeny tiny little details about speaker design lately, and very few threads about people actually doing any builds, so I thought (and maybe I am way off base here) that maybe, just maybe we could talk about actually building speakers for a change.

Currently I am debating between several ideas.

1. A pair of 4" based monitors using the Dayton DA115 and Vifa BC25SG (but those drivers were used in Duellati v2 so just because I am contrary I might not build it now :p).

2. A large MTMWW using some nice looking Jamo buyouts and the Vifa BC25SG

3. A pair of mini MTM desktop speakers using some PoI buyouts.

I will probably build all of them eventually, but right now I am wondering out loud which one to do next, and wondering if anyone else is building anything right now.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: What's next for everybody?

A couple of my threads have surfaced, and I'm actually building these.

A MMTMM with the TangBand 3" TGW3 driver and a Vifa tweeter. Still making some final design decisions before I start modeling the crossover.
    Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Center channel for my HT W\TM\W the woofers will be either the peerless 835004 or bravox 6.5". I'm leaning peerless though cause I think the model looks easier on the receiver. Tweeter will probably be a cloth vifa neo and the mid is a Fountek FW146.

Then it'll be a set of tripplebock towers as a gift using 3 pairs of 835004 and a Vifa DX25 tweeter.

Then I'm done for the year and will start simming for next year...

Take it easy
      Jay
      Last edited by Brewski; 05-31-2011, 03:22 PM.
      "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
      Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
      Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
      Levitation TM
      - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

The two that I have cabinets ready for are:

Arcus - Beyma TPL-150/H and AE TD10M in a translam 1.1 cu/ft cabinet. That gives and EBS alignment for the TD10M and an -f3 of 50hz. Max SPL from 55hz up is 118db. Air motion transformer and an excellent sounding woofer in a monitor that's capable of peeling paint off the walls ... nothing else out there like it that I know of.

Un-named - Essentially a Cirrus 3-way with the RAAL on top and a custom 8" AudioTechnology woofer on bottom. Midrange will be an Accuton, not sure exactly which one yet ... have to evaluate a few different unit. This is going in the same cabinet as the Cirrus with a sealed midrange chamber, about 1.1 cu/ft overall volume. -f3 of the AT 8" is 32hz in this cabinet. Matching stands will be part of the design so I can put the crossover in the base of the stand, which then allows me to port the woofer out the bottom of the cabinet.

2 others we'll be working on soon are Aurora and Nimbus. Both are Ed's cabinets, same construction as the Byzantiums. Lots of curved sides and layered up hardboard and epoxy. Aurora will use a MCM size waveguide with a dome tweet carved into a hardwood baffle, and probably the 7" Wavecor. Nimbus will have the RAAL on top, Wavecor mid, and a pair of the new Wavecor 8" subs with matching PR's. The Nimbus will have a -f3 of 24hz and only need 1.5 cu/ft to do it!
        Vapor Audio

Comment

I am so waiting for those RS tweeter compatible waveguides to show up...!!!

My kingdom for a nice waveguide that bolts on to the typical 104mm domes!
          audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

I've got a three way in the works, waiting on my special ordered HiVi woofers to come in (hopefully next week)...I will probably be starting a thread at that point.

Thanks to Paul Carmody for a kick a$$ cabinet design that I ...borrowed...

Your results may vary.

Comment

In progress: A pair of Classix with a few hours left, destined as a gift. One pair of Microbe XT's with enough parts for a second pair. A back-burner 3-way project with the HiVi F8, RS52 and RS28S that I'm hoping my better half will accept (cabs look like off kilter pyramids).

Up soon: A modest sized TMW tower. A couple pairs of M&K buyout 5" 2-ways.

Still on the drawing board: A powered MTM with Peerless & Vifa buyouts.

If I get half of this accomplished it would be an outstanding year.
              Last edited by turn2; 06-06-2011, 01:10 PM. Reason: Realism set in.

Comment

Well I'm waiting till the end of October to get started ;)

I'll be building my SLANT2 which is technically more like a SLANT1349, lol

This is the general shape, without the horrid woofer/tweeter seperation, I'll probably only seperate them by an inch or so, instead.

I'll be powering them with the MiniDSP/MiniAMP combo in a seperate box. They're gonna be covered in Quilted Bubinga that's (hopefully) dyed with Transtint Cordovan or the other purple color, wife's pick, in order to keep the WAF high enough for the living room.

I've got a few other designs floating around in my noggin, but nothing concrete... hmmm... that's a good idea, too lol. :D

Oh yeah, they're about 5ft tall, and they'll be ported, drivers are the Peerless 835004 and Tymphany DU0188 that's used in the Vienna Acoustic speakers.
                Attached Files

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                return to the source
                leviathan system thread
                deadhorse thread
                shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by markk View Post
                  I am so waiting for those RS tweeter compatible waveguides to show up...!!!

My kingdom for a nice waveguide that bolts on to the typical 104mm domes!
                  Is this in the works or are you joking?

Thanks,

Dan
                  "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
                  http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
                  http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

Brewski's Triplebock, Paul's ZX Spectrum and a sub.
                    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                    OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                    Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                    Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                    Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                    LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

You asked for it.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=225037
                      L&R BuildSub Build

Comment

Awesome looking build Ben. The granite is gorgeous!

Comment

I have a curved set of Zaph's ZDT3.5s underway. Currently interrupting that build is another set of Wolf's Rubycks/Biumph 2.1 for my neice's graduation.

Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by dantheman View Post
                            Is this in the works or are you joking?

Thanks,

Dan
                            Hi Dan,

I was speaking loosely. I'm just waiting for the dust to settle on this thread...

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ght=waveguides
                            audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

Whew, I was afraid we were all getting swept up in the academia side of the hobby - very glad to see so many of us are keeping busy in the shop!
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X