Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to pull the trigger on some HDS woofs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to pull the trigger on some HDS woofs.

It is time for me to build something high(er) end, and the buyout HDS woofs at $30/each are just too good of a deal to pass up on a high(er) end woofer. So I have four in the shopping cart.

Now, I need a tweeter. I am really a fan of the Vifa BC25SG15-04 that I used in Driscoll (actually a rebadged variant of that tweeter from Dali). Brewski used it and it seems almost everyone who listens to that tweeter in a solid design is definitely a fan.

Maybe that is the tweeter I will use. I have also been eyeballing the Beston ribbon tweets as a possible candidate.

I am thinking of going vented, since the supplied T/s from PE indicates these Peerless drivers will go plenty deep, and with a pair of them with 6mm of Xmax will have the horsepower to deliver some decent output down low. Otherwise, even in a medium sized sealed enclosure they will hit the mid 50's so maybe I will go sealed and let the dual 12" powered subwoofers I am working on take care of the heavy hitting.

Thoughts?
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: About to pull the trigger on some HDS woofs.

I've got a pair of the Dali buyouts I'm trying to get rid of, as well as some buyout HDS woods from Nubert. The woofs are round, too, so it would be easy to cut out.

Comment

short 2-way tower? sounds nice.
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Arlis - looking more for a full on floorstander of around 2 cubic feet if I go vented. If I go sealed, I may do a stand mounted. Either way, it will use 2x woofers per side.

Kmibb - I am going to use 4x of the Peerless woofs. I saw your posting though. I already have a few of the buyout Vifa's floating around, as well some of the regular stock tweets I mentioned, but no ribbon tweets sitting on the shelf. Thanks, though.

Comment

Put 6 in the cart Johnny, and build a clone of my mom's Xmas present. TMWW and don't look back.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Put 6 in the cart Johnny, and build a clone of my mom's Xmas present. TMWW and don't look back.
            I had thought of doing something similar in the past Pete, which is why I originally ordered both 6 and 12 ohm of the silver Bravox buyouts.

Comment

Johnny,

I'll be currious to see what you do with it. For a mid priced project I'd re-use the BC25SG15-04 or possibly try a DX25. I think you could make a really nice MTM or 2.5 with the BC25 and the woofers. I'm even thinking about building a TM with them and the BC25SG15 to give as a gift for only about 90 in drivers it seems like a combo that would be really appealing.

For the four for myself I'm thinking about going the other way and splurging for a higher end mid and tweeter. My thinking from looking at them is they look like a really nice driver so spending a little more to go higher end seems like it could be worth it. Plus I want to try my hand at a build with a ribbon so I think they'll be in a three way ultimately but I might try a few other configs along the way.

Take it easy
              Jay
              "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
              Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
              Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
              Levitation TM
              - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

Impedance might drop a little too low on the 831735 to run them in tandem with the average amp - unless you don't mind knocking sensitivity down a notch or two with a resistor or high dcr coil. Four 831735's in a parallel series configuration would certainly do the trick though.

Comment

Originally posted by fntn View Post
                  Impedance might drop a little too low on the 831735 to run them in tandem with the average amp - unless you don't mind knocking sensitivity down a notch or two with a resistor or high dcr coil. Four 831735's in a parallel series configuration would certainly do the trick though.
                  Yeah I've been keeping 2 in parallel happy by using higher DCR coils in my models it'd be a 4 ohm speaker but it looks feasible and would have an f3 of around 38 hz in a 2L enclosure tuned to 37 hz.

Take it easy
                  Jay
                  "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
                  Levitation TM

Comment

Originally posted by Brewski View Post
                    Johnny,

I'll be currious to see what you do with it. For a mid priced project I'd re-use the BC25SG15-04 or possibly try a DX25. I think you could make a really nice MTM or 2.5 with the BC25 and the woofers. I'm even thinking about building a TM with them and the BC25SG15 to give as a gift for only about 90 in drivers it seems like a combo that would be really appealing.

For the four for myself I'm thinking about going the other way and splurging for a higher end mid and tweeter. My thinking from looking at them is they look like a really nice driver so spending a little more to go higher end seems like it could be worth it. Plus I want to try my hand at a build with a ribbon so I think they'll be in a three way ultimately but I might try a few other configs along the way.

Take it easy
                    Jay
                    Yeah, a TM also crossed my mind using that tweeter.

Comment

The Onkyo receiver I usually use never broke a sweat with the last 4 ohm build I did. Driscoll dips to about 3 ohms, and even the cheapo Sony receiver I use at my desk handles it.

I would have a hard time convincing the SO to let me buy $140 worth of drivers

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                        The Onkyo receiver I usually use never broke a sweat with the last 4 ohm build I did. Driscoll dips to about 3 ohms, and even the cheapo Sony receiver I use at my desk handles it.

I would have a hard time convincing the SO to let me buy $140 worth of drivers

Oh, I thought you were a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmi4bmrZPOk

who didn't have problems convincing the significant other that 120 db of Peerless 6.5 inch drivers at full song was the only way to go..... :D

Seriously, for most of the amps I use, 2.75 ohms would be a walk in the park. Just figured it might be worth considering for folks who might not have a very robust amp. Four 831735's in a MMTMM would definitely peal the plaster off the walls though with a decent 200 watt amp but would also work well with any amp that can work with a 5 - 6 ohm load. The $30 price tag is awfully tempting either way.

Comment

Oh, I thought you were a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmi4bmrZPOk

who didn't have problems convincing the significant other that 120 db of Peerless 6.5 inch drivers at full song was the only way to go..... :D

Seriously, for most of the amps I use, 2.75 ohms would be a walk in the park. Just figured it might be worth considering for folks who might not have a very robust amp. Four 831735's in a MMTMM would definitely peal the plaster off the walls though with a decent 200 watt amp but would also work well with any amp that can work with a 5 - 6 ohm load. The $30 price tag is awfully tempting either way.
                          I meant $240 worth... She recently discovered my cache of drivers in the garage, and questioned why PE boxes still show up from time to time :o

In any event, I think I am now leaning towards a TM, just need to find a tweeter.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                            I meant $240 worth... She recently discovered my cache of drivers in the garage, and questioned why PE boxes still show up from time to time :o

In any event, I think I am now leaning towards a TM, just need to find a tweeter.
                            "In stock, I have some Vifa buyouts used in Driscoll and some Vifa BC25SG15-04"

Since you already have them I'd try them out first and then look at other options. I'd find it hard to believe there are tweeters I'd like more in the price range your looking at.

Take it easy
                            Jay

Levitation TM

Comment

Johnny, email me - same username @yahoo.com
                              "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X