RS180 MTM Build in Oak - Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS180 MTM Build in Oak - Pics

I have been having 4 RS180S-8's and 2 RS28-F's laying around not being used since January. I removed them from an previous project and put them aside until I could afford to build a new project around them , I thought it was going to be a while , as most of the existing crossover designs for these drivers were quite expensive. That was , until last week when I read the thread on Jeff Bagby's RS180 MTM design( http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ighlight=rs180 ) , with a simple 6 component crossover that models flawlessly , and better yet , I have most of the components on hand. I am building my own cabinets rather than using the pre-builts , but sticking to the same baffle width and driver placement. The cabinets are being constructed of 3/4" Red Oak , with some Red Oak quarter round around the baffle to both hide the end grain and achieve a roundover on the baffle edge at the same time. I got started on Saturday and worked through the long weekend , here are some pics of my progress thus far.

The quarter round is a bit too big , but some sanding knocks it right down to size.

Follow the power sander with a little 220 grit by hand and it makes for quite a nice seam.

Re: RS180 MTM Build in Oak - Pics

Nice job on those cabinets. I probably couldn't have sanded the quarter-rounds without cutting through the first layer of oak veneer. Nicely done, they look great. Any plans to cover the end grain on top and bottom?

TomZ
    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Thank you Tom. They are covered , the pics just don't show it very well , I used the Bandit iron on edge veneer before assembling the panels. It isn't the best method , I know , but my skills aren't quite up to mitering the corners yet so it will have to suffice for now.

Comment

Digging the 3/4 inch oak face plywood! One of my favorite materials. Can you post closeup pics of the band-it edges? I've thought about using that.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
          Digging the 3/4 inch oak face plywood! One of my favorite materials. Can you post closeup pics of the band-it edges? I've thought about using that.
          I can snap a couple pics when I get out to the shop this afternoon , you can see it pretty good in the 3rd and 8th pictures that I posted above though , to get an idea.

Comment

Now I see the banding - thanks. I've built pretty much identical boxes - had the same challenge with the 1/4 rounds being a little larger (3/4 vs 11/32) than the plywood. You have a beautiful fit between the ply and the 1/4 round - I got that on a few edges - others, not quite as good.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Here are a couple more of the edge banding , color is a bit different now , I applied one coat of thinned minwax poly , doing these natural color.

Comment

Maybe someone can help me out here , I got the two small coils I was missing in today , and am about ready to build my crossover , I know there are some do's and don'ts regarding inductor placement and crossover layout in general , this is what I've got in mind as a starting point for a layout , please point out any placement issues.

Comment

Looks good Mike on the end grain, that Bandit stuff does a better job than I thought. It gives it some contrast, it's an interesting effect.

About the crossover, it's good to not be able to see another coil as you look through the doughnut hole of an inductor. Maybe just turn the lower right one up like a tire so it's hole is looking left & right would be fine, they're spaced enough apart I think.

Nice job!

TomZ
                  Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Actually, I'd leave the lower right coil the way it is.
                    Its lines of flux are perpendicular to those of the iron core as it is currently positioned.
                    Everything is so spread out that it won't make any difference any way.

Nice job on the enclosure; can't wait to see the finished project.

Comment

You beat me to it! I've got practically the same project underway, but with the RS28A-S; I'd be interested to compare the fabric dome. I'll probably end up using Baltic birch in a similar cabinet (albeit without the quarter round). But the same drivers and crossover, in any case. I think Jeff B.'s design might be undergoing a bit of a renaissance... I'll be sure to share mine once it's shareable.

Comment

I've been wanting to do a cabinet with edges like you did with the quarter rounds. I've seen this sort of treatment done on various pieces of furniture and could never figure out how it's done.
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I did quarter round on all four corners on my Schumakubins. I glued the quarter round pieces on to the sides, laying them out on a table and clamping them with pieces of scrap brad nailed to the table top. Clear packing tape under the seams to prevent sticking to the table. Then cleats on the interior for a gluing surface, like this builder.

Very nice looking cabinets.

Comment

nice mike. good idea using the wipe on first. will take many coats to fill the grain. when i did my white oak baffle mtm, thats how i did it. then i finished with paste wax. buffed with a white pad on the ros.
                            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              nice mike. good idea using the wipe on first. will take many coats to fill the grain. when i did my white oak baffle mtm, thats how i did it. then i finished with paste wax. buffed with a white pad on the ros.
                              Those baffles are beautiful. I've got two coats of thinned poly on the cabinets right now , and will probably put one more coat of thinned before I start with the full strength stuff. I have found in the past it get gets less bubbles in it that way. When you say a paste wax , do you mean like an automotive wax? or something specifically designed for woodworking? Forgive me for what may seem like dumb questions , but I have very little experience in woodworking.

Comment

Working...
                              X