Transmission Line - "Talking Sticks?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Line - "Talking Sticks?"

I've been working on a 2-way TL based on the RS150S-8 and Peerless BC25SC06-04 for the last few weeks. Today I got them cobbled together with clamps to hold the front baffle in place. First impressions are they are detailed, with spot on imaging and no discernible on-off axis harshness. Overall, a speaker that will see the effort to finish in nice veneers and long listening sessions.

The core design is based on work done by patrickm. My sincerest Thanks and Gratitude for his generous approval to use his designs and for tailoring his original designs to match my drivers and understanding of TL parameters.

When finished the x-overs will be mounted in the base and easily accessible for repair or modification. There is an enclosure for the tweeter which also aids in maintaining the TL taper and proper woofer placement.

Finish: Cabinet and base will be figured walnut, with tiger stripe maple baffle. The port will have a solid tiger stripe maple flare, and the baffle will have 3/4" round-over on vertical edges and top. The base will have an 18 deg taper in all directions away from the cabinet. Final finish....leaning toward tung oil or wipe-on poly.

Single terminal posts will be installed in the rear top surface of the base, easily accessible and out of the way when cleaning.
    Attached Files
    If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
    ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Re: Transmission Line - "Talking Sticks?"

hey - looks good, ed. glad you liked the crossover. hope the TL half works out as well. keep me posted.
    TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

You should have put a NSFW up for the Nudie pic haha

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickm View Post
        hey - looks good, ed. glad you liked the crossover. hope the TL half works out as well. keep me posted.
        So far seems to be working, though I do need to play with stuffing densities to find the best bass output. I've got about a bag of Acousta-stuff in each. Probably to much?

The engineer in me says calculate the volume and weight the stuffing, while the artistic side says sit down, listen, and adjust to taste.

Will definitely keep you posted, though progress might slow due to an uncontrollable desire to listen to them. Played Rodrigo y Gabriela the other day and was floored by the low level detail I'd never heard before. This is a CD I've played countless times through some very well regarded speakers.
        If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
        ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
          You should have put a NSFW up for the Nudie pic haha
          NSFW? Probably going to slap my forehead when you explain the acronym.... :o

If it's nudies you want my next post will have the baffle slid to the side. ;)
          ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Not Safe For Work.
            Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Haha, the file name of the pic says Nude... :p

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
              return to the source
              leviathan system thread
              deadhorse thread
              shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Duhhh! Just another Homer Simpson moment. :o
                ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post
                  I've got about a bag of Acousta-stuff in each. Probably to much?

The engineer in me says calculate the volume and weight the stuffing, while the artistic side says sit down, listen, and adjust to taste.
                  the engineer in me just estimated, put 3 braces about 6-8" down from the top of the fold, and stuffed from the small end fairly tightly packed, until it was barely there above the braces. i'd wager a full bag is too much. maybe a half to start? i used the 150-4 though, so the response may be slightly different.

Will definitely keep you posted, though progress might slow due to an uncontrollable desire to listen to them. Played Rodrigo y Gabriela the other day and was floored by the low level detail I'd never heard before. This is a CD I've played countless times through some very well regarded speakers.
                  thanks for the compliment. of the dozens of designs i've put together, this is one where everything seemed to fit together.
                  TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

Well after many months and countless distractions I've finally finished this project. At least for now....there maybe some different veneers in the future. Let's just say my experimentation did not turn out as imagined. They remind me of someone who got dressed in the dark......

Acoustically they meet my expectations; detailed without being fatiguing, a deeper bass than my ported Encores. TL stuffing definitely makes a difference and I believe I have finally found the right amount, for my tastes.

Thanks again to Patrickm for the x-over and cabinet dimensions.
                    Attached Files
                    ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

These look great Ed!! I think I am going with these for in my garage! I will mount them up high on the wall to keep them from taking up floor space. Think they should do well in there?
                      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Working...
                      X