Experiences with HiVi RT1II and RT2II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiences with HiVi RT1II and RT2II

They're on sale currently and I want to try them. Anyone experienced these?

I see they ask that you use a XO with these, but they look like they have very steep natural rolloffs. Can you use these without XOs?

Re: Experiences with HiVi RT1II and RT2II

Originally posted by mintos View Post
    They're on sale currently and I want to try them. Anyone experienced these?
    From the distortion measurements I ran earlier this year, the RT1II must be used above 5k and the RT2II will burn your ears off if used at all

I see they ask that you use a XO with these, but they look like they have very steep natural rolloffs. Can you use these without XOs?
    No
    Brad
    piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Ouch that's harsh... the review/s were good and the descriptions says they won't burn anything. Of course, there's no distortion graphs for these hmm...

Comment

Ouch that's harsh... the review/s were good and the descriptions says they won't burn anything. Of course, there's no distortion graphs for these hmm...
        I've heard both the RT1C-A and RT2C, and neither were overly wrong sounding. I agree with the xover point for the 1C, but the 2 can go to about 3k with a 4th order with no issues.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

If the RT2II is anything like the RT2C-A, I'd say go for it. I have the RT2C-A's in my towers and simply love them. If you've never messed with planar tweeters, becareful you'll get hooked!!;) You'll definatly need a cross over, planar/ribbon tweets don't like to be over driven as they really don't have a "suspention" like a dome tweeter does. I'd recommend no lower than 2500 (12dB) on the RT2 series.
          A mains
          The Ventures
          Open Invit8tions
          RSR
          Sound Troopers
          Acorns
          DGBG's
          The Monuments

Comment

With a planar tweeter, you should always expect to use a crossover with a 12dB (2nd order) or steeper slope; in the case of a 6 dB crossover, the diaphragm excursion continues to increase below the crossover frequency, which planars really don't like because they're not built for clean excursion. The 2nd-order crossover holds excursion roughly constant between the crossover frequency and Fs, and third-order and above slope filters have decreasing excursion below the crossover frequency.
            Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

So would the RT1II go well with the ND104 series or M4N? I have like 10 of each.

Also, would the RT2II go with the $30 peerless HD buyout driver?

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                If the RT2II is anything like the RT2C-A, I'd say go for it. I have the RT2C-A's in my towers and simply love them. If you've never messed with planar tweeters, becareful you'll get hooked!!;) You'll definatly need a cross over, planar/ribbon tweets don't like to be over driven as they really don't have a "suspention" like a dome tweeter does. I'd recommend no lower than 2500 (12dB) on the RT2 series.
                I loved the way the RT2C-A sounded in your speakers. I just bought a pair of the RT2IIs. They have been in my wish list for awhile, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get them at an insane discount.

Eric Levenchuck
                Eric L.

Comment

I'm about to try the RT2H-A around 3Khz 3rd order. Possibly this weekend. We'll see how it goes. I may have to go 4th order depending on how the phase really ends up lining up with the mid mounted in a real box. We shall see. The mid starts rolling off at 3Khz but has a blip around 4Khz that may add a wrinkle in there.

This is the mid I'm pairing it with.
                  https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=9074

I suspect I'll end up with 4th order acoustic on the mid if I use 1st order electrical with a zobel on it. We'll see as I have yet to measure for real and I never ever trust published specs other than just for a starting point.

ps. The mid is open to the rear and I'm using the HiVi D8.8 in a lower box for the bass. I have been excited to get into this but have been too busy to look at it in detail yet.

Bill

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  I've heard both the RT1C-A and RT2C, and neither were overly wrong sounding. I agree with the xover point for the 1C, but the 2 can go to about 3k with a 4th order with no issues.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  The first one through the wall always gets the bloodiest...

Comment

Originally posted by billschu View Post
                    I'm about to try the RT2H-A around 3Khz 3rd order. Possibly this weekend. We'll see how it goes. I may have to go 4th order depending on how the phase really ends up lining up with the mid mounted in a real box. We shall see. The mid starts rolling off at 3Khz but has a blip around 4Khz that may add a wrinkle in there.

This is the mid I'm pairing it with.
                    https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=9074

I suspect I'll end up with 4th order acoustic on the mid if I use 1st order electrical with a zobel on it. We'll see as I have yet to measure for real and I never ever trust published specs other than just for a starting point.

ps. The mid is open to the rear and I'm using the HiVi D8.8 in a lower box for the bass. I have been excited to get into this but have been too busy to look at it in detail yet.

Bill
                    Wow. Those Accutons are nice, but crazy expensive. I planned on using the RT2II with a 3rd-order slope at 2.2kHz, which should be plenty steep to keep a large planar controlled and out of danger.

Eric Levenchuck
                    Eric L.

Comment

Originally posted by brkitup View Post
                      I planned on using the RT2II with a 3rd-order slope at 2.2kHz, which should be plenty steep to keep a large planar controlled and out of danger.

Eric Levenchuck
                      I think I disagree with that, Eric. I ended up with a 4th order electrical slope on the Silver Flute equivalent driver, and they are similar if not alike in model and operation. My xover was 2.4kHz. 2.5kHz was only the Target, not the final.

If you push them much lower than that, you'll require multiples to keep the excursion in check. The lowest I have known any of this style tweeter to go has been 2.1kHz, and it was an 8 driver Linus-array.

The other concern is you'll probably notice the top-end rolls off gradually, IIRc. You'll need to contour the response and sacrifice sensitivity to flatten it out. In combination with the BSC on the woofer, you'll break even if using full-6dB comp.

As to usage for the M4N and the RT1II, I don't think that will work 'optimally'. You could try it, but you'll probably have a hole in the response. The breakups of the M4N are in the same region you'd require the xover to be at minimum freq. Personally, I find the M4N to more like the xover range of 2.5-3.5K, and the RT1(C or II) pretty much mandates the 5kHz+ mark.

RT1II:

M4N:
                      http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/297-434.pdf

The Peerless HDS and the RT2II may work. Using my example above, the 6dB comp and the contoured top-end should be a good way to suit those. The RT2 has a -4dB point at 15kHz. 4dB comp may blend better.

RT2C-A:
                      http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/297-402.pdf

Later,
                      Wolf
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Yeah, even I'm a little worried about going 3rd order electrical at 3Khz for the RT2H-A. We shall see. A ribbon crossed too low can sound so annoying over time.

Bill

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                        I think I disagree with that, Eric. I ended up with a 4th order electrical slope on the Silver Flute equivalent driver, and they are similar if not alike in model and operation. My xover was 2.4kHz. 2.5kHz was only the Target, not the final.

If you push them much lower than that, you'll require multiples to keep the excursion in check. The lowest I have known any of this style tweeter to go has been 2.1kHz, and it was an 8 driver Linus-array.

The other concern is you'll probably notice the top-end rolls off gradually, IIRc. You'll need to contour the response and sacrifice sensitivity to flatten it out. In combination with the BSC on the woofer, you'll break even if using full-6dB comp.

As to usage for the M4N and the RT1II, I don't think that will work 'optimally'. You could try it, but you'll probably have a hole in the response. The breakups of the M4N are in the same region you'd require the xover to be at minimum freq. Personally, I find the M4N to more like the xover range of 2.5-3.5K, and the RT1(C or II) pretty much mandates the 5kHz+ mark.

RT1II:

M4N:
                        http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/297-434.pdf

The Peerless HDS and the RT2II may work. Using my example above, the 6dB comp and the contoured top-end should be a good way to suit those. The RT2 has a -4dB point at 15kHz. 4dB comp may blend better.

RT2C-A:
                        http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/297-402.pdf

Later,
                        Wolf
                        The first one through the wall always gets the bloodiest...

Comment

Has anyone ever used the Dayton Audio PT2C-8 with a Peerless HDS driver ? If nothing else the pair would look good together because of Peerless truncated frames.

Comment

Originally posted by thor61 View Post
                            Has anyone ever used the Dayton Audio PT2C-8 with a Peerless HDS driver ? If nothing else the pair would look good together because of Peerless truncated frames.
                            The PT2C-8 is hard to work with. The FR plot has a large dip in its response, and it's hard to get around it. The previous models B and A (best) were better and easier to use.

Later,
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Have any experience with these guys ? http://www.solen.ca/pdf/airborne/rt5002.pdf They look great, if you don't mind giving up a car payment !

Comment

Working...
                              X