Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

Ok.....so i've been admiring the modular cabinet speaker designs for a while now, especially Paul's recent Tarkus. So i wanted to put a twist on it an found the Alexandria's as an excellent inspiration to work from......

Now for the bass bin/bottom, my newest listening space just ain't that big so a spare pair of RSS315HF-4's should be adequate. The question is ported or sealed. I'll be starting with these this weekend. Dimensions are a bit flexible but not much. I'm figuring 27" tall, 22" deep and 14" wide. Given the usual construction materials and bracing, i figure on a net volume of 3.5 cuft. These will be powered with an NHT B-20 subwoofer ampfilier( thanx Erich H for the tip on the second one on Fleabay!).

Room is roughly 1600cuft and closed. Here's some sims for ported and sealed

sealed
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CB Response Dayton RSS315HF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1178980
    ported

Name:	VB Response Dayton RSS315HF.jpg
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1178981

Ported dimensions are slighly larger allowing for a 4" port 16" long.

So there's some other questions i have but i'll wait for feedback on either ported or sealed first. Thanx for looking!:D

Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

I am more interested in looking at the build itself then loading. :D
    I say, Double up on 315's and go sealed, may be even with Linkwitz corrector. 12mm x should be ok for a pair.
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post

Now for the bass bin/bottom, my newest listening space just ain't that big so a spare pair of RSS315HF-4's should be adequate. The question is ported or sealed. I'll be starting with these this weekend. Dimensions are a bit flexible but not much. I'm figuring 27" tall, 22" deep and 14" wide. Given the usual construction materials and bracing, i figure on a net volume of 3.5 cuft. These will be powered with an NHT B-20 subwoofer ampfilier( thanx Erich H for the tip on the second one on Fleabay!).

Room is roughly 1600cuft and closed. Here's some sims for ported and sealed

sealed
      [ATTACH]16900[/ATTACH]
      ported
      [ATTACH]16901[/ATTACH]

Ported dimensions are slighly larger allowing for a 4" port 16" long.

So there's some other questions i have but i'll wait for feedback on either ported or sealed first. Thanx for looking!:D
      Use a PR instead of a port. You won't regret it. Total absence of turbulence of any kind.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Use a PR instead of a port. You won't regret it. Total absence of turbulence of any kind.
        A 12" PR would fit nicely on the front baffle but man, the good ones are costly Pete. I have the Polk Powerport spreadsheets and was thinkin if ported, doing a downfiring port and tune em even lower. I'm just not sure a 12x17 room that's closed needs that kinda LF as there's tons of room gain here.

Whatta you guys think i just seal em up and if need be, i can add a port afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
          I am more interested in looking at the build itself then loading. :D
          I say, Double up on 315's and go sealed, may be even with Linkwitz corrector. 12mm x should be ok for a pair.
          Another pair of 315's:eek:...........now that's rich!

I need to try and drudge up some more info on these NHT B-20 amps. I'm running one with a pair of smaller sealed 12's now but never measured the in-room. They were originally made to work with a pair of Peerless XLS 12's sealed as a package. The amp has 4 boundry gain/cut settings and when set to max, these really thump down low. There is a built in HP filter 2nd order at 30hz and i'm still getting good response into the high teens via War of the Worlds BD:D

Comment

If i could.....unload this pair of RS315's, i might be inclined to try four 12's given the price of these.....

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1120

Anyone interested in a brand new in box pair of RSS315's?:rolleyes:

Comment

Enough dilly-dallying. Porting is fine! If it's good enough for the Alexandria's, then it's good for your clone. Get going! This is a really exciting project you're about to undertake, in my opinion. I look forward to seeing how it works out.
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I say go with the sweet looking slot port at the bottom, a 4" diameter port should give give you enough surface area to shape out a slot like that.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                return to the source
                leviathan system thread
                deadhorse thread
                shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
                  If i could.....unload this pair of RS315's, i might be inclined to try four 12's given the price of these.....

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1120

Anyone interested in a brand new in box pair of RSS315's?:rolleyes:
                  Given your box dimensions, the Vifa's 7 cu. ft. Vas and .3 Qts, you'll probably want to stick with the Daytons.

Comment

Originally posted by fntn View Post
                    Given your box dimensions, the Vifa's 7 cu. ft. Vas and .3 Qts, you'll probably want to stick with the Daytons.
                    yeah the vifa will need a bigger box , I have a suggestion go ported with the 315's try and make the enclosure big enough that you could seal it and change to a pair of 315's sealed in each speaker. you are making a large speaker ported with one 315 you need about 3 cu ft sealed with 2 315's you need about 4 cu ft. you could make the enclosure bigger and have a filler in it like mdf bricks/slab or even a box of sand at worst it sounds great and the sand/filler just make everything more stable. but you could always tweak by pulling the sand/filler and going to a pair of dayton 315's sealed. Just a thought for you.

Comment

Originally posted by fntn View Post
                      Not as bad as you would think as the Q of these is really high.

Name:	CB Response VIFA NE315W-10.jpg
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1135559

I have to add 20L to get this sealed though. Going to 15" wide gets me there.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                        Enough dilly-dallying. Porting is fine! If it's good enough for the Alexandria's, then it's good for your clone. Get going! This is a really exciting project you're about to undertake, in my opinion. I look forward to seeing how it works out.
                        I originally was seeing ported with the woofer mounted high on the baffle and a front loaded 4" port below. Those dimpled ports from Madisound are sooooo B&W cool but so is a slot port.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                          I'm pretty excited too Paul. I get to use my new Planer and jointer on this one!

Comment

Why not use two RSS315's and two of the Vifa NE315's (one each per speaker)? The Vifas should provide excellent detailed midbass, while the 315's will provide the swept volume down low. That would let you use more midrange-oriented drivers in the 'midbass' capacity (lower excursion, higher sensitivity, more extended top end) since one of your bass drivers can extend upward into the mids. This would make the design a 3.5-way. Wilson's approach with their bass bins is to load two dissimilar drivers to the same volume; I don't think I'd recommend it in this case since the drivers will be very different, but you might be able to devote more volume to the Vifas and run the RSS315's in a PR alignment, each in their own separate volume.

Those Vifas may not be available forever, since they use Neo motors...

Make sure your mid-treble and bass modules are separable, so you can play with running them together or separately (with the bass modules placed optimally for bass in your room, and the mid-treble modules placed optimally for imaging and soundstage). The Wilsons wouldn't give you that flexibility.
                            Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
                              Why not use two RSS315's and two of the Vifa NE315's (one each per speaker)? The Vifas should provide excellent detailed midbass, while the 315's will provide the swept volume down low. That would let you use more midrange-oriented drivers in the 'midbass' capacity (lower excursion, higher sensitivity, more extended top end) since one of your bass drivers can extend upward into the mids. This would make the design a 3.5-way. Wilson's approach with their bass bins is to load two dissimilar drivers to the same volume; I don't think I'd recommend it in this case since the drivers will be very different, but you might be able to devote more volume to the Vifas and run the RSS315's in a PR alignment, each in their own separate volume.

Those Vifas may not be available forever, since they use Neo motors...

Make sure your mid-treble and bass modules are separable, so you can play with running them together or separately (with the bass modules placed optimally for bass in your room, and the mid-treble modules placed optimally for imaging and soundstage). The Wilsons wouldn't give you that flexibility.

i use a 390 dayton as an ib running 15 to 50 hz i use it with 2 nht1259 woofers running 50 to 100 hz .

this allows lowering deep bass volume or raising it separately from standard bass. also means more crossover work and another amp.

so the idea of a sub and a woofer for each speaker could work

Comment

Working...
                              X