Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

    are you bringing the over in October to NY DIY?
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

      Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
      are you bringing the over in October to NY DIY?
      I guess that depends on if i finish em up by then. I'm off to a pretty good start. They should be at least playable but no finish work by then. I'll be spending some time on voicing with the soon to be built MTM section. Did i mention these are gonna be HEAVY! Thank GOD they're modular.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

        So that is hickory with hardboard in between?

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

          I realize the project is already under way but found some information on Modular design clones from JM lab (Utopia/Mini)and Wilson(Maxx). Pretty amazing job on those and maybe it'll help provide some ideas to others.

          http://www.exquisiteaudio.ca

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

            Originally posted by cny View Post
            I realize the project is already under way but found some information on Modular design clones from JM lab (Utopia/Mini)and Wilson(Maxx). Pretty amazing job on those and maybe it'll help provide some ideas to others.

            http://www.exquisiteaudio.ca
            Cool Link......thanx.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

              Originally posted by lucasa.miller View Post
              So that is hickory with hardboard in between?
              Ok maybe I'm going blind but that looks like Southern Pine to me. Like what you would buy for construction lumber. They almost look like 2x4's.


              Here is what the grain in hickory should look like.


              Even so very nice looking baffles.

              Dave
              http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

              Trench Seam Method for MDF
              https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

                Originally posted by davepellegrene View Post
                Ok maybe I'm going blind but that looks like Southern Pine to me. Like what you would buy for construction lumber. They almost look like 2x4's.


                Here is what the grain in hickory should look like.


                Even so very nice looking baffles.

                Dave
                Tell that to my saw blades and planar knives!

                The material came from motorcycle crating pallates as supports and was roughly 3x3 so i split them on the table and then ran them through a Delta planer and the flat sides over a Delta Jointer. I thought it was Fur or Pine too but you can't press a nail into this stuff......not even close. I abandoned all of the 1" slats from the palletes as i could not get the nails out. Kinda knew this would be the case as when uncrating the bikes, all of the 3" square bit screws just snapped instead of coming out.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

                  Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
                  Tell that to my saw blades and planar knives!

                  The material came from motorcycle crating pallates as supports and was roughly 3x3 so i split them on the table and then ran them through a Delta planer and the flat sides over a Delta Jointer. I thought it was Fur or Pine too but you can't press a nail into this stuff......not even close. I abandoned all of the 1" slats from the palletes as i could not get the nails out. Kinda knew this would be the case as when uncrating the bikes, all of the 3" square bit screws just snapped instead of coming out.

                  It's amazing how many types of pine are out there some very hard.
                  Kinda looks like Douglas fir. Definitely a nice tight grain.

                  http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

                  Trench Seam Method for MDF
                  https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

                    Ok so i need a little astethics input from everyone. See pic below



                    The open area below the top of the port inlet......i was originally thinking to build it up with MDF and finish in high gloss piano black but now i'm wondering if i should keep the trans lam theme consistent and build up the bottom section with hardwood/hardboard to match. Any thoughts?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

                      I think consistency would look better.

                      That being said, I think a consistent gloss finish would look best. I'm not a big fan of that hickory, looks like lumber to me.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

                        I'd stick with the same look. Mainly because you will get some expansion/ contraction on the width of your baffle so if you keep the material the same it will all move together. If you make it solid MDF it won't expand/ contract the same so you could develop cracks along the inside edge of your out boards. Right were they meet the short boards at the top of your port.
                        Something else you may not be aware of is that when the wood does expand/ contract the MDF strip between the wood won't shrink or grow much so in a high gloss finish it may show as a raised spot were the MDF is. In other words when you introduce moisture from your finish you may get pronounced, lines running top to bottom were the two different woods meet. If you stain/ varnish with a satin finish you shouldn't notice it much. Even if you do get this effect I don't think it will look bad at all.

                        Dave
                        http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

                        Trench Seam Method for MDF
                        https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

                          Thanx Dave. I think i'll take your advice and make the port inlet an 1 and 1/2" longer acting as the plinth base. It'll give it some added dimension and complexity. Maybe slice the plinth at 30 degrees to match the top of the baffle.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

                            Ok this is really getting aggravating now. First we have a record heatwave and now it's raining cats and dogs. Managed to get a few hours in today but was planning for a marathon session. The base Plinths are in glue up and i should get to run those through the planer later today but attatchment to the baffles isn't likely.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

                              Well the rain and humidity put a damper on today's productivity, but i managed to get one baffle completed. I've decided to hold off on the other baffle until i have one box done for testing just in case the ported option doesn't work out. I'm really liking the contrast of the hardboard now that i've cleaned em up with some 150 paper. Got a few colors of gel stain coming from Rockler to test. Rest of the box will be MDF in Piano black.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

                                Mayhem13, that's looking really good! I know you've been planning this one for a little while so it must be nice to finally get it going.

                                I started a similar project with vertically layered Baltic and 2 strips of walnut spaced out in the baffle, but I like the way yours looks quite a bit.


                                The grain looks great, can't wait to see how it turns out.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X