• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mattp
    replied
    Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
    Baffles are pretty bad a$$ if i do say so myself.
    Yeah yeah less talkie more pickie!! :p ;)

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

They're comin.....They're comin. Just came in to get a glass of H20. REALLY HOT and HUMID here today. Baffles are pretty bad a$$ if i do say so myself.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Originally posted by mattp View Post
    picspicspicspicspicspicspicspicspicspicspics
    or*11(itdidn'thappen)

Leave a comment:

• mattp
    replied

picspicspicspicspicspicspicspicspicspicspics

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

Gotta run out and get some new blades for the Table saw and knives for the planer. Man this Hickory crap is hard as nails!

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

Well it's been quite a HOT day here in N.J. so work has been slow on the wood prep but managed to get it all planed and smooth. Even got some of the baffles glued up and clamped. I used 1/8" Hardboard in between each layer of wood for some contrast and i gotta admit, it looks pretty not bad! After unclamping on mmonday morn, i'll follow up with some pics. Should be able to get at least one bass enclosure finished by the end of the day. I'll call around to some mill shops and see if i can bring the baffles over for that 2" roundover. If not, on the table saw they'll go for a 45 degree kerf cut. Wasn't planning on sharp edges but hey, it might just look better that way.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

Ok so we're making some sawdust tommorrow starting with the bass bib/bottoms. I'll be building an MDF shell and a multi-lam hardwood/hardboard baffle from Hickory. I gotta get some use outta this Delta Planer and Jointer. I'll be needing to find a local woodworker to round over the baffle tops and bottoms with a 2" roundover as to reduce diffraction to the lower mid as in the Alexandria and the bottom of the baffle will also be the slot port outlet with a matching 2" roundover on the plinth as the other half of the slot port outlet. It's probobly gonna take all day to straighten out all this Palette wood but hey, it's Hickory...hard, nice grain and color and free!

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

Jeff's program indicates the higher up on the baffle the better so, offset to the top/ 8" from the top of the enclosure looks good. That puts the driver's center 19" from the floor......but as you mentioned if it sounds tubby then it is tubby. Thankfully the amp for these has active boundary/eq adjustments.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
    The other question is the position of the driver on the baffle. I know Paul C has done a few of these types of design so if you're watching? I'll be crossing to the midwoofers at 230hz. The baffle length will be 25" so with the driver offset to the top, i figure on 25" to the center of the top mid and if centered on the baffle roughly 33" to to the top mid. As to floor bounce, i haven't gotta clue but if it helps, the ceilings are 8ft and the distance to the listener is around 15ft. I plan on a flat baffle as in the Alexandria.
    One thing that's happened to me on several designs with woofers near the floor is that you get gradually more BSC the lower the woofer is placed. There's nothing wrong with this, but I've found that in final voicing of most of my 3-way designs that I have to back off a few dB on BSC or the speakers sound tubby.

The specific amount to back off, I honestly just use trial and error. Using a program like Jeff Bagby's Diffraction/Boundary simulator, you can probably get a more accurate number. But still, I think the final vote goes to the ears. ("If it sounds tubby, it is tubby--no matter what the graph says")

Will you be measuring or modeling these? If you are measuring the one thing I will caution you about is that the floor bounce mentioned above will also play havoc with measurements. Instead of seeing a boost caused by floor bounce, you're very likely to see a null. This can make measurements on the woofer very misleading to look at, or just plain confusing. To get around this floor-bounce null, a lot of guys will measure the speaker outside, and raise it high off the ground to try to get rid of some of the floor bounce mess, and make the measurements easier to read.

If you're not measuring, and just simming, ignore that whole last paragraph and congratulate yourself on dodging a bullet.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

Ok, so we've got the alignment out of the way and i pretty sure of the volume ( thx Wolf but since i do have the 3.5 cubes to work with i'll take em!).

Any thoughts on the tune? 22hz looks like a good tradeoff of extension vs power handling. I can always move my sealed RSS390 in for 30hz on down need be.

The other question is the position of the driver on the baffle. I know Paul C has done a few of these types of design so if you're watching? I'll be crossing to the midwoofers at 230hz. The baffle length will be 25" so with the driver offset to the top, i figure on 25" to the center of the top mid and if centered on the baffle roughly 33" to to the top mid. As to floor bounce, i haven't gotta clue but if it helps, the ceilings are 8ft and the distance to the listener is around 15ft. I plan on a flat baffle as in the Alexandria.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

You could even port it in 2.7 ft^3 if ya wanted to. Look up "Gossamer" by Shawn A, and I am sure you'll find the alignment he used.

And yes- ported is also my recommendation.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

Well there we have it, a single RSS315HF in 3.5cuft ported and tuned to 22hz........and in keeping with the inspirational......a bottom slot port.

Unless nayone else has anything else to share?

Leave a comment:

• philiparcario
    replied

Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
    Why not use two RSS315's and two of the Vifa NE315's (one each per speaker)? The Vifas should provide excellent detailed midbass, while the 315's will provide the swept volume down low. That would let you use more midrange-oriented drivers in the 'midbass' capacity (lower excursion, higher sensitivity, more extended top end) since one of your bass drivers can extend upward into the mids. This would make the design a 3.5-way. Wilson's approach with their bass bins is to load two dissimilar drivers to the same volume; I don't think I'd recommend it in this case since the drivers will be very different, but you might be able to devote more volume to the Vifas and run the RSS315's in a PR alignment, each in their own separate volume.

Those Vifas may not be available forever, since they use Neo motors...

Make sure your mid-treble and bass modules are separable, so you can play with running them together or separately (with the bass modules placed optimally for bass in your room, and the mid-treble modules placed optimally for imaging and soundstage). The Wilsons wouldn't give you that flexibility.

i use a 390 dayton as an ib running 15 to 50 hz i use it with 2 nht1259 woofers running 50 to 100 hz .

this allows lowering deep bass volume or raising it separately from standard bass. also means more crossover work and another amp.

so the idea of a sub and a woofer for each speaker could work

Leave a comment:

• Taterworks
    replied

Why not use two RSS315's and two of the Vifa NE315's (one each per speaker)? The Vifas should provide excellent detailed midbass, while the 315's will provide the swept volume down low. That would let you use more midrange-oriented drivers in the 'midbass' capacity (lower excursion, higher sensitivity, more extended top end) since one of your bass drivers can extend upward into the mids. This would make the design a 3.5-way. Wilson's approach with their bass bins is to load two dissimilar drivers to the same volume; I don't think I'd recommend it in this case since the drivers will be very different, but you might be able to devote more volume to the Vifas and run the RSS315's in a PR alignment, each in their own separate volume.

Those Vifas may not be available forever, since they use Neo motors...

Make sure your mid-treble and bass modules are separable, so you can play with running them together or separately (with the bass modules placed optimally for bass in your room, and the mid-treble modules placed optimally for imaging and soundstage). The Wilsons wouldn't give you that flexibility.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    Enough dilly-dallying. Porting is fine! If it's good enough for the Alexandria's, then it's good for your clone. Get going! This is a really exciting project you're about to undertake, in my opinion. I look forward to seeing how it works out.
    I'm pretty excited too Paul. I get to use my new Planer and jointer on this one!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X