• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayhem13
    replied
    Re: Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    Enough dilly-dallying. Porting is fine! If it's good enough for the Alexandria's, then it's good for your clone. Get going! This is a really exciting project you're about to undertake, in my opinion. I look forward to seeing how it works out.
    I originally was seeing ported with the woofer mounted high on the baffle and a front loaded 4" port below. Those dimpled ports from Madisound are sooooo B&W cool but so is a slot port.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

Originally posted by fntn View Post
    Given your box dimensions, the Vifa's 7 cu. ft. Vas and .3 Qts, you'll probably want to stick with the Daytons.
    Not as bad as you would think as the Q of these is really high.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CB Response VIFA NE315W-10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1135559

I have to add 20L to get this sealed though. Going to 15" wide gets me there.

Leave a comment:

• philiparcario
    replied

Originally posted by fntn View Post
    Given your box dimensions, the Vifa's 7 cu. ft. Vas and .3 Qts, you'll probably want to stick with the Daytons.
    yeah the vifa will need a bigger box , I have a suggestion go ported with the 315's try and make the enclosure big enough that you could seal it and change to a pair of 315's sealed in each speaker. you are making a large speaker ported with one 315 you need about 3 cu ft sealed with 2 315's you need about 4 cu ft. you could make the enclosure bigger and have a filler in it like mdf bricks/slab or even a box of sand at worst it sounds great and the sand/filler just make everything more stable. but you could always tweak by pulling the sand/filler and going to a pair of dayton 315's sealed. Just a thought for you.

Leave a comment:

• fntn
    replied

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
    If i could.....unload this pair of RS315's, i might be inclined to try four 12's given the price of these.....

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1120

Anyone interested in a brand new in box pair of RSS315's?:rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

I say go with the sweet looking slot port at the bottom, a 4" diameter port should give give you enough surface area to shape out a slot like that.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Enough dilly-dallying. Porting is fine! If it's good enough for the Alexandria's, then it's good for your clone. Get going! This is a really exciting project you're about to undertake, in my opinion. I look forward to seeing how it works out.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

If i could.....unload this pair of RS315's, i might be inclined to try four 12's given the price of these.....

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1120

Anyone interested in a brand new in box pair of RSS315's?:rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
    I am more interested in looking at the build itself then loading. :D
    I say, Double up on 315's and go sealed, may be even with Linkwitz corrector. 12mm x should be ok for a pair.
    Another pair of 315's:eek:...........now that's rich!

I need to try and drudge up some more info on these NHT B-20 amps. I'm running one with a pair of smaller sealed 12's now but never measured the in-room. They were originally made to work with a pair of Peerless XLS 12's sealed as a package. The amp has 4 boundry gain/cut settings and when set to max, these really thump down low. There is a built in HP filter 2nd order at 30hz and i'm still getting good response into the high teens via War of the Worlds BD:D

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

Use a PR instead of a port. You won't regret it. Total absence of turbulence of any kind.
    A 12" PR would fit nicely on the front baffle but man, the good ones are costly Pete. I have the Polk Powerport spreadsheets and was thinkin if ported, doing a downfiring port and tune em even lower. I'm just not sure a 12x17 room that's closed needs that kinda LF as there's tons of room gain here.

Whatta you guys think i just seal em up and if need be, i can add a port afterwards?

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post

Now for the bass bin/bottom, my newest listening space just ain't that big so a spare pair of RSS315HF-4's should be adequate. The question is ported or sealed. I'll be starting with these this weekend. Dimensions are a bit flexible but not much. I'm figuring 27" tall, 22" deep and 14" wide. Given the usual construction materials and bracing, i figure on a net volume of 3.5 cuft. These will be powered with an NHT B-20 subwoofer ampfilier( thanx Erich H for the tip on the second one on Fleabay!).

Room is roughly 1600cuft and closed. Here's some sims for ported and sealed

sealed
    [ATTACH]16900[/ATTACH]
    ported
    [ATTACH]16901[/ATTACH]

Ported dimensions are slighly larger allowing for a 4" port 16" long.

So there's some other questions i have but i'll wait for feedback on either ported or sealed first. Thanx for looking!:D
    Use a PR instead of a port. You won't regret it. Total absence of turbulence of any kind.

Leave a comment:

• r-carpenter
    replied

I am more interested in looking at the build itself then loading. :D
    I say, Double up on 315's and go sealed, may be even with Linkwitz corrector. 12mm x should be ok for a pair.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    started a topic Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

Wilson Audio Clone build begins!

Ok.....so i've been admiring the modular cabinet speaker designs for a while now, especially Paul's recent Tarkus. So i wanted to put a twist on it an found the Alexandria's as an excellent inspiration to work from......

Now for the bass bin/bottom, my newest listening space just ain't that big so a spare pair of RSS315HF-4's should be adequate. The question is ported or sealed. I'll be starting with these this weekend. Dimensions are a bit flexible but not much. I'm figuring 27" tall, 22" deep and 14" wide. Given the usual construction materials and bracing, i figure on a net volume of 3.5 cuft. These will be powered with an NHT B-20 subwoofer ampfilier( thanx Erich H for the tip on the second one on Fleabay!).

Room is roughly 1600cuft and closed. Here's some sims for ported and sealed

sealed

Name:	CB Response Dayton RSS315HF.jpg
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1178980
    ported

Name:	VB Response Dayton RSS315HF.jpg
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1178981

Ported dimensions are slighly larger allowing for a 4" port 16" long.

So there's some other questions i have but i'll wait for feedback on either ported or sealed first. Thanx for looking!:D
Working...
X