Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Center started for Ruination and Levitation speakers

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    I may be interested in parting with 4 of those Peerless 6.5"s.
    If I didn't have another 6 835004s and 6 of the HDS 831735s already I'd jump on buying 4 more of them to either build Lambics or Lecbos. Hopefully someone who wants to try the builds out will snag them off of you.

Take it easy
    Jay
    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
    Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
    Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
    Levitation TM
    - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

They are currently installed in my LouC Lecbos's. They only have about 5 hours of gentle listening time. I have them sitting over my basement workbench and love how the Peerless sound. But if someone wanted them.... I could always let them go to finance my next build. You know how that goes :D
      Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

I got some work done on the centers today in between sessions of scraping paint off my shed. Hopefully during the week next I'll get a chance to start working on the crossovers.

Take it easy
        Jay

"I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
        Levitation TM

Comment

The center needs to be "finished" but I'm getting to listen to the Ruinations, Levitations, and center while we're watching UP! I'll try another movie later tonight but so far things sound pretty good.

Due to the negative WAF factor related to the speaker's size I think the center channel will be named Guinness. My wife describes Guinness as tasting what she imagines licking an ashtray would taste like. The first time she realized how large the speaker was she gave me the bitter beer face I've often seen when she's trying an extra hoppy beer.

I'll try to put some pictures up later tonight.

Take it easy
          Jay
          Last edited by Brewski; 08-20-2011, 11:49 PM.

Levitation TM

Comment

When my wife saw the "Grange" she specifically commented on how much she liked that I painted the baffle black. She said that it blended into the rest of the shelves and puts more focus on the TV and the Levitations.

Just a thought...

Also, I need your help with flush mounting those Peerless drivers. I'm just getting going on the Gila Monsters.

Comment

Black is definitely an option and would be the easier option at that. What I'm primarily thinking is veneering them in cherry and painting the baffle champagne to finish them to match the ruinations and making a grill with black fabric for them. The majority of the time the ruinations have their grills on them to protect the drivers so I think it wouldn't look too out of place but it does add more work...

I'll take a look for the thread but someone had posted up a technique that the woofer is mounted and the router base is pressed against the surface mounted woofer to create a template that can be used to get help with the driver recess cut on the baffle.

Here's a thread that might give you some ideas http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...cated+template

Take it easy
              Jay

Levitation TM

Comment

Looks great!

Just a thought... Why not measure both to get in-room responses, then you will have a target curve you can average to for both speakers.

Not sure if I would "boost" any range, the intelligibility is fine as it stands on the driver configurations you have. Boosting ranges causes more problems that it cures when driving any speaker at cinematic levels.

Comment

Mike,

I ran a room cal via the receiver and the initial verdict is they're pretty flat. The receivers room calibration has them as +/-2 on the adjustments for the frequencies listed. They still need to be rounded over on the baffle and I'll probably add a bit of fill to the woofers but I'm liking them so far.

Take it easy
                  Jay

Levitation TM

Comment

Originally posted by Brewski View Post
                    Mike,

I ran a room cal via the receiver and the initial verdict is they're pretty flat. The receivers room calibration has them as +/-2 on the adjustments for the frequencies listed. They still need to be rounded over on the baffle and I'll probably add a bit of fill to the woofers but I'm liking them so far.

Take it easy
                    Jay
                    Any chance you'd be willing to model something with a replacement for those discontinued Peerless woofs?

Comment

I'll take a look later tonight the big reasons I wanted to use the 4 ohms in series was to try to keep the impedance up. I'll try a few different woofers in the model to see what I get.

Mark it needs a few more parts but it looks like the DC160-4 could be used for the woofers and would keep the center channel at a 6 ohm design. Since I've not heard it you'd need to tweak it but the initial design should be close. I can post up crossover schematics for both the 835004 version and the DC160-4 centers if there's interest.

Take it easy
                      Jay
                      Last edited by Brewski; 08-22-2011, 11:31 PM.

Levitation TM

Comment

I'll take a look later tonight the big reasons I wanted to use the 4 ohms in series was to try to keep the impedance up. I'll try a few different woofers in the model to see what I get.

Mark it needs a few more parts but it looks like the DC160-4 could be used for the woofers and would keep the center channel at a 6 ohm design. Since I've not heard it you'd need to tweak it but the initial design should be close. I can post up crossover schematics for both the 835004 version and the DC160-4 centers if there's interest.

Take it easy
                        Jay
                        Excellent!

I saw in one of the MWAF threads you were considering a diff tweeter for the Ruins and Levs (and by extension, perhaps this design too). What did you have in mind? Anything specific?

Comment

I'll stay with where they are for awhile. I'd describe the Ruinations as being a very nice speaker to listen to music or for your home theater. The DX25 isn't as crisp as more expensive tweeters like the RS28, Air Circ etc... Those tweeters though don't meet the price criteria I set for the build of staying under $50.00 a driver. Once the price gets up to a certain point you have to look at statements etc as build options and I wanted to target a tier below that. The Ruinations averaged 8's for it's sound scores when I'd expected it to fare worse due to the image of knowingly bringing a pocket knife to a gun fight since they were in the $200 and up class etc... I think my expectations plus being off axis really made me think the tweeters were worse than what I've listened to the last month at home.

For the Levitation's the BC25SG15 in sims just very easily matches up with the FW168 (I have yet to see an easier driver combination) and I think that comes across when you listen to them. Burgmike loves his, Wolf thought highly of the Levs, and Mike Z liked them quite a bit so I'd be very reluctant to change that design.

Take it easy
                          Jay

Levitation TM

Comment

Here are the crossover schematics for the DC160 center version. I'll work on adding a sketchup image of the center to add to the attachments here.

Take it easy
                            Jay
                            Attached Files

Levitation TM

Comment

Like Brewski said, I love my Levitations. As far as the tweeter is concerned... it rocks. The detail and presence is something I haven't experienced before. I'm sure as I build more speakers I'll get into other tweeters but for $15 I can't imagine other sets having the same value - please correct me if I'm wrong.

In fact the tweeter is one of the main reasons I decided to build a set a 50watt's Gila Monsters... and I had to check out those closeout peerless woofers.

Comment

Here are the crossover schematics for the DC160 center version. I'll work on adding a sketchup image of the center to add to the attachments here.

Take it easy
                                Jay

ON the woofer xover, are those drivers in series or parallel?

Comment

Working...
                                X