• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarkL
    replied
    Re: Center started for Ruination and Levitation speakers

Originally posted by Brewski View Post
    Mike,

I ran a room cal via the receiver and the initial verdict is they're pretty flat. The receivers room calibration has them as +/-2 on the adjustments for the frequencies listed. They still need to be rounded over on the baffle and I'll probably add a bit of fill to the woofers but I'm liking them so far.

Take it easy
    Jay
    Any chance you'd be willing to model something with a replacement for those discontinued Peerless woofs?

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Mike,

I ran a room cal via the receiver and the initial verdict is they're pretty flat. The receivers room calibration has them as +/-2 on the adjustments for the frequencies listed. They still need to be rounded over on the baffle and I'll probably add a bit of fill to the woofers but I'm liking them so far.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• mzisserson
    replied

Looks great!

Just a thought... Why not measure both to get in-room responses, then you will have a target curve you can average to for both speakers.

Not sure if I would "boost" any range, the intelligibility is fine as it stands on the driver configurations you have. Boosting ranges causes more problems that it cures when driving any speaker at cinematic levels.

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Black is definitely an option and would be the easier option at that. What I'm primarily thinking is veneering them in cherry and painting the baffle champagne to finish them to match the ruinations and making a grill with black fabric for them. The majority of the time the ruinations have their grills on them to protect the drivers so I think it wouldn't look too out of place but it does add more work...

I'll take a look for the thread but someone had posted up a technique that the woofer is mounted and the router base is pressed against the surface mounted woofer to create a template that can be used to get help with the driver recess cut on the baffle.

Here's a thread that might give you some ideas http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...cated+template

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• burgmike
    replied

When my wife saw the "Grange" she specifically commented on how much she liked that I painted the baffle black. She said that it blended into the rest of the shelves and puts more focus on the TV and the Levitations.

Just a thought...

Also, I need your help with flush mounting those Peerless drivers. I'm just getting going on the Gila Monsters.

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

The center needs to be "finished" but I'm getting to listen to the Ruinations, Levitations, and center while we're watching UP! I'll try another movie later tonight but so far things sound pretty good.

Due to the negative WAF factor related to the speaker's size I think the center channel will be named Guinness. My wife describes Guinness as tasting what she imagines licking an ashtray would taste like. The first time she realized how large the speaker was she gave me the bitter beer face I've often seen when she's trying an extra hoppy beer.

I'll try to put some pictures up later tonight.

Take it easy
    Jay
    Last edited by Brewski; 08-20-2011, 11:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

I got some work done on the centers today in between sessions of scraping paint off my shed. Hopefully during the week next I'll get a chance to start working on the crossovers.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

They are currently installed in my LouC Lecbos's. They only have about 5 hours of gentle listening time. I have them sitting over my basement workbench and love how the Peerless sound. But if someone wanted them.... I could always let them go to finance my next build. You know how that goes :D

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    I may be interested in parting with 4 of those Peerless 6.5"s.
    If I didn't have another 6 835004s and 6 of the HDS 831735s already I'd jump on buying 4 more of them to either build Lambics or Lecbos. Hopefully someone who wants to try the builds out will snag them off of you.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Here you go Wolf think that looks a little better crossover wise.

Take it easy
    Jay

That definitely looks like a wiener! :D
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

I may be interested in parting with 4 of those Peerless 6.5"s.

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Here you go Wolf think that looks a little better crossover wise.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Yeah Wolf nailed the reason I'm trying to help fill in the dip at 1400 hz.

Take it easy
    Jay
    To get the M->T phase better, I'd up da tweeter one order.

Yay, me! :rolleyes:

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    Out of curiosity, is there any reason you crossed from the woofers to the mid so high?
    Yeah Wolf nailed the reason I'm trying to help fill in the dip at 1400 hz.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Another possible issue is the impedance bump from the DX25 there. It may sound nasal without some attention. That sim looks a LOT better too.

Later,
    Wolf
    I'll probably try it without the attenuation first since it looks like its slope is third order at 2800 hz until it gets to 20 dbs down. Looking at the tweeters impedance plot with the crossover in place the tweeter's curve is about 10 omhs above the baseline impedance plot.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

Working...
X