X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewski
    replied
    Re: Center started for Ruination and Levitation speakers

Crossover wise they've been done for a year and I'm happy with them. Cosmetically I still need to take them apart and veneer them. Talking with Mike Z when I had his family over he thought the PE vinyl cherry would be a fairly close match to the Ruinations.

Sound wise I played some music and movies parts over the five speakers as a demo and the feedback on them as a system was positive. Mike's wife was requesting a new center as a project so I figured it'd had a good impression. I'm trying to get the bourbons to a point where we can get some driver measurements but once I'm starting finishing work on them I might take another look at the guinness center. I might use it as a practice project so to speak since I've never veneered before.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied

Jay,
    It's been a year, any updates?!?!?! :D

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

On paper this looks like it could be worth trying. If the DX25 if selected for Paul's LCR design I'd take a look at what he uses for a crossover and see if he could make a recommendation on what to change in the crossover if the speaker was going to be used a center. The mid design stays the same. The woofer is 4th order electrical to surpass the woofers breakup.

Take it easy
    Jay
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MarkL
    replied

Thanks for that heads up! I'd followed that thread initially but hadn't checked on it lately and didn't know it had started swerving in a direction of more direct interest to me

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=226261

Mark You might want to take a look at the linked thread it's still in the kicking the tires stage I think but it looks like Paul C. might be helping out with a three way version using the FW168 that might help you crossover wise.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• MarkL
    replied

Originally posted by Brewski View Post
    The picture without the drivers present is a top down view so the mid/tweeter portion is 5.75" x 5.5" x 9.5" so it's ~ a 5 liter enclosure. The depth overall is 10.5" deep.
    <slaps forehead> Of course! Duh.

You'll have to layout your drivers out to see if they'll be able to fit in a 20" wide baffle. I'm not sure they're will be much extra baffle width available since the DC160's aren't a truncated frame.
    I've still not abandoned the FW168 as the woofer. I know you didn't like the impedance using these, but unless it gets under 2 at some point, my Sunfire ought to be able to handle it no sweat. So using the DX25 + FW146 + 2xFW168, they should all fit. See the attached sketchup.

Since I'm no crossover designer, I might use the Madisound xover design service they offer. All these drivers are sold at Madisound.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Originally posted by MarkL View Post
    Looks like the mid chamber on your sketch is only 5-3/4" high, but from your photos, the mid chamber goes all the way to the top of the enclosure. What volume should that enclosure be?

My center cab is likely to be 11" high and 20" wide due to the available space I have, and planning on 13" deep, but could go as deep as 15" if required. Will those dimensions suffice? Your diagram didn't note a specific depth.
    The picture without the drivers present is a top down view so the mid/tweeter portion is 5.75" x 5.5" x 9.5" so it's ~ a 5 liter enclosure. The depth overall is 10.5" deep. You'll have to layout your drivers out to see if they'll be able to fit in a 20" wide baffle. I'm not sure they're will be much extra baffle width available since the DC160's aren't a truncated frame.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• MarkL
    replied

Here are the crossover schematics for the DC160 center version. I'll work on adding a sketchup image of the center to add to the attachments here.

Take it easy
    Jay
    Looks like the mid chamber on your sketch is only 5-3/4" high, but from your photos, the mid chamber goes all the way to the top of the enclosure. What volume should that enclosure be?

My center cab is likely to be 11" high and 20" wide due to the available space I have, and planning on 13" deep, but could go as deep as 15" if required. Will those dimensions suffice? Your diagram didn't note a specific depth.

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

They're in series.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• MarkL
    replied

Here are the crossover schematics for the DC160 center version. I'll work on adding a sketchup image of the center to add to the attachments here.

Take it easy
    Jay

ON the woofer xover, are those drivers in series or parallel?

Leave a comment:

• burgmike
    replied

Like Brewski said, I love my Levitations. As far as the tweeter is concerned... it rocks. The detail and presence is something I haven't experienced before. I'm sure as I build more speakers I'll get into other tweeters but for $15 I can't imagine other sets having the same value - please correct me if I'm wrong.

In fact the tweeter is one of the main reasons I decided to build a set a 50watt's Gila Monsters... and I had to check out those closeout peerless woofers.

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Take it easy
    Jay
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

I'll stay with where they are for awhile. I'd describe the Ruinations as being a very nice speaker to listen to music or for your home theater. The DX25 isn't as crisp as more expensive tweeters like the RS28, Air Circ etc... Those tweeters though don't meet the price criteria I set for the build of staying under $50.00 a driver. Once the price gets up to a certain point you have to look at statements etc as build options and I wanted to target a tier below that. The Ruinations averaged 8's for it's sound scores when I'd expected it to fare worse due to the image of knowingly bringing a pocket knife to a gun fight since they were in the $200 and up class etc... I think my expectations plus being off axis really made me think the tweeters were worse than what I've listened to the last month at home.

For the Levitation's the BC25SG15 in sims just very easily matches up with the FW168 (I have yet to see an easier driver combination) and I think that comes across when you listen to them. Burgmike loves his, Wolf thought highly of the Levs, and Mike Z liked them quite a bit so I'd be very reluctant to change that design.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• MarkL
    replied

I'll take a look later tonight the big reasons I wanted to use the 4 ohms in series was to try to keep the impedance up. I'll try a few different woofers in the model to see what I get.

Mark it needs a few more parts but it looks like the DC160-4 could be used for the woofers and would keep the center channel at a 6 ohm design. Since I've not heard it you'd need to tweak it but the initial design should be close. I can post up crossover schematics for both the 835004 version and the DC160-4 centers if there's interest.

Take it easy
    Jay
    Excellent!

I saw in one of the MWAF threads you were considering a diff tweeter for the Ruins and Levs (and by extension, perhaps this design too). What did you have in mind? Anything specific?

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

I'll take a look later tonight the big reasons I wanted to use the 4 ohms in series was to try to keep the impedance up. I'll try a few different woofers in the model to see what I get.

Mark it needs a few more parts but it looks like the DC160-4 could be used for the woofers and would keep the center channel at a 6 ohm design. Since I've not heard it you'd need to tweak it but the initial design should be close. I can post up crossover schematics for both the 835004 version and the DC160-4 centers if there's interest.

Take it easy
    Jay
    Last edited by Brewski; 08-22-2011, 11:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X