Ideas for smaller DIY flat packs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for smaller DIY flat packs.

Most of you guys know that I was able to get a local company to cut the Anarchy tapped horns and Paul's Overnight Sensations for extremely cheap ($24 per pair). I had no problems boxing them up for free in my spare time. It's no big deal and I don't have problems helping with future group buys as time allows.

Well, the company contacted me yesterday and said they had some open time coming up on their large CNC machine. This is a big company so it's not too often they have spare time to help on small runs. He said they were just finishing up a 23,000 unit order of something! :eek:

Anyway, I don't want to waste the opportunity to get pricing or other projects cut. So the more DIY projects the better.

I'm probably going to have them cut 100 pairs of Overnights and hopefully the MTM version as well. Both would probably be from 1/2" Baltic birch. I think Paul recommends a brace on the MTM version, so we'll see how that goes. I'm thinking 50 pairs of those?

Are there any other smaller speakers that you guys would like to see made up for cheap? They'd have to be fairly popular so we can get at least 50 pairs or more and not worry whether people will want them or not.

Ideally I'm talking about smaller speakers that can be cut from 1/2" Baltic or 3/4".

I can probably talk them in to running something easy with 3/4". Like an enclosure for the super cheap Aurasound 6" neo woofer and a tweeter? Or maybe a box that uses the newer Dayton 6" or 8" fullrange? I'm open for simple designs.

The problem is time. He wants to meet with me on FRIDAY! They obviously won't be cutting on Friday, but it should be soon there after. So any ideas or help would be great. The easier the design, the better. Last time I sent them all the info on the Statements, I didn't hear back. So 3 layer thick cabinets with 12 braces and different compartments here and there with odd recesses probably won't go real well on this round. I think those complex designs are better served with a smaller CNC company (which I may have found as well). Still working on that.

Let me know of any straight forward designs you guys might want priced for cheap. 1/2" or 3/4" designs with a couple braces here and there should be okay. Anything for that cheap Aurasound???

Re: Ideas for smaller DIY flat packs.

how 'bout chris roemer's nano neos?

Comment

How about Chris Roemer's ntn.

I would be up for a couple of those.

Comment

Erich,

What about doing a bit of a generic flat pack say 8" x 22.5" x 11" for a .75 cubic foot enclosure or 8" x 14" x 11" for a .5 cubic foot enclosure. That way you'd target those interested in having a flat pack for various 6"-7" driver builds in MTM or TM sized enclosures.

Take it easy
        Jay
        "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
        Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
        Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
        Levitation TM
        - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

Originally posted by Brewski View Post
          What about doing a bit of a generic flat pack say 8" x 21" x 11" for a .75 cubic foot enclosure
          +1

A generic (i.e., blank baffle) 0.75 cubic feet in 0.75" BB would be super!

Comment

Another nice aspect of the generic idea would be potentially buying multiple sets to build towers by gluing them together.

Take it easy
            Jay
            "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
            Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
            Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
            Levitation TM
            - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

Erich,

What about doing a bit of a generic flat pack say 8" x 22.5" x 11" for a .75 cubic foot enclosure or 8" x 14" x 11" for a .5 cubic foot enclosure. That way you'd target those interested in having a flat pack for various 6"-7" driver builds in MTM or TM sized enclosures.

Take it easy
              Jay
              That's exactly my suggestion also. It would save me a ton of time for a build, and probably be a better box also.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Erich,

Take it easy
                Jay
                +3

I would add a vertical internal board with four holes/cutouts that would be used for a solid brace.

AND if time permits, an asymmetrical cabinet (no parallel sides- except top and bottom) to minimize standing waves. Just slightly "pyramidal." The front could be ninety degrees but the rear board 15 degrees inward (two piece rear board would be nice though), sides could be 10 degrees inward.

Comment

I agree that generic .75 or .5 cu ft boxes would be great, especially if you could make them with 45 degree joints so finishing would be simple. Also, removable baffles would be good.

Comment

My votes would be the following:
                    The Nano Neos and the NTNs (assuming the price of the drivers don't skyrocket)
                    Zaph's B3S
                    A generic .5 cu ft MT and a 1 cu ft MTM - clones of the PE cabinets
                    Personally I'd like a pair of Zaphs BAMTMs but I don't know how much interest there would be in those.

Comment

I vote for a swope flatpack, poss all 5 or 7 main speakers, as sub boxes are huge. From everything I have read, they are a fantastic way to start. Plus, the drivers are inexpensive and the crossover is fairly simple. Might be just the ticket for someone wanting to try diy for HT.

Comment

Nothing/no-grabs on the Sophomores? I wondered how it was going...

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I'll get pricing on the generic flat packs as well. If you guys can decide on the exterior dimensions, that would be great. I was cutting the roundovers myself on the Overnight Sensations, but let me know what the roundovers should be and I'll see what they say about that.

If you also want to do some smaller 'generic' cabinets using 1/2" Baltic or maybe mdf, let me know what sizes or bracing, etc. 1/2" Baltic is pretty strong, so it could be used with no issues on medium sized designs with easy braces.

As I've mentioned before, I completely stink at CAD or SketchUp drawing. So if there's anyone that can help draw out something, there's a much better chance of it getting done because they don't have to worry about taking notes as I describe what's needed.

When they cut the Overnights, I had someone on AVS draw them out like this:

There were a few parts that needed changing on that drawing, but it made things go very quickly. Obviously if I can't find anyone to do something similar, then I'll just write it out and explain it. I think everyone liked the way those cabinets went together because it kept the seams from showing on the sides. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by kmibb View Post
                            I agree that generic .75 or .5 cu ft boxes would be great, especially if you could make them with 45 degree joints so finishing would be simple. Also, removable baffles would be good.
                            damn that would be handy

Comment

Are there any designs out there for that super cheap Aurasound driver? That would be great to get a box made for those and they'll be available for quite some time.

Before I get anything cut, I'll need to get permission from the designer as well, unless they're blank boxes.

Paul already gave permission for the MTM version of the Overnight Sensations.

Comment

Working...
                              X