Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sony buyout

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: sony buyout

    Any Updates?
    XO ?
    :D

    Comment


    • Re: sony buyout



      SO....
      Finished my build.

      Used 8 of the Sonys and topped with a Vifa BC25SC06-04
      Crossed at 3600....which is higher than most have talked about.
      used a 2nd order L-R.

      The box is sealed and about 2.6 cu/ft w/2lbs of poly fill per side.

      Not seeing any spikes at 5000Hz....
      Last edited by Cubs2k; 10-10-2011, 10:47 PM. Reason: Add Pic

      Comment


      • Re: sony buyout

        Has anybody tried a simple TM with this driver? My girl wants a set of tabletop "coffins". No, litterally, she loves halloween and stuff like that and has asked me to build a set of 1ft tall highly artsy coffins powered off that tiny Dayton t-amp. I figured these would be fine because they model down to .1cu/ft each and oh yeah I have 48 of them so i can spare 2 for her.

        I assume I can simply match impedence of any system here that is 8ohm final impedence independent of how many drivers used? or are many of these projects running "custom" XO's that are only ideal for line arrays?
        I am thinking the Dayton ND16 or ND20 tweeter because of the tiny mounting requirements, crossed between 2500 and 3k.

        Comment


        • Re: sony buyout

          Originally posted by Cubs2k View Post


          SO....
          Finished my build.

          Used 8 of the Sonys and topped with a Vifa BC25SC06-04
          Crossed at 3600....which is higher than most have talked about.
          used a 2nd order L-R.

          The box is sealed and about 2.6 cu/ft w/2lbs of poly fill per side.

          Not seeing any spikes at 5000Hz....
          How does it sound? How are you liking that tweeter? What would you say is the usable bottom end extension on those cabinets?
          Modding the Lepai T-Amp

          Comment


          • Re: sony buyout

            Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
            Has anybody tried a simple TM with this driver?
            Absolutely -- right here - and he got good results too!!

            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227127

            This is what Mike used for the XO:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...3&postcount=37

            And his cabinet:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...5&postcount=39
            Bryan K.

            Midwest Audio Club

            Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

            Comment


            • Re: sony buyout

              Guys check out my recent project with the Sony 5". Here's the link. Criticisms/advise welcome. They sound awesome.

              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...27#post1772427

              Comment


              • Re: sony buyout

                Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
                How does it sound? How are you liking that tweeter? What would you say is the usable bottom end extension on those cabinets?
                I dig it..I think the tweeter is a good match.

                I don't have very sophisticated equipment to test-just a few Ipad apps but the bottom end seems like 80ish before really falling off. 100-120ish seems to peak a little which I was expecting due to the box design.

                I'm getting what appears to be some comb effects while sitting about 1.5 meters away, but my neighbor thinks they sound great across the street.

                I've the little Lepai T amp running the pair with no problems...

                Comment


                • Re: sony buyout

                  Originally posted by Cubs2k View Post
                  I'm getting what appears to be some comb effects while sitting about 1.5 meters away, but my neighbor thinks they sound great across the street.
                  LOL, Move back
                  1.5M is nearfield and yer neighbor is far field.
                  "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                  “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

                  Comment


                  • Re: sony buyout

                    Originally posted by Cubs2k View Post


                    SO....
                    Finished my build.
                    Great job. Did you do anything to the backside of the Sony's to dampen the flimsy stamped frames? And did you have to pad that tweeter down (96 db sensitivity)? Do they sound bright at all to you?

                    With the Lepai amp, it's not straining at all on a solid 4ohm load huh?? That's great to know.

                    I'm doing a MMTMM with some of mine, but I'm not close to getting them assembled for a listening test just yet.
                    Bryan K.

                    Midwest Audio Club

                    Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

                    Comment


                    • Re: sony buyout

                      Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                      Great job. Did you do anything to the backside of the Sony's to dampen the flimsy stamped frames? And did you have to pad that tweeter down (96 db sensitivity)? Do they sound bright at all to you?

                      With the Lepai amp, it's not straining at all on a solid 4ohm load huh?? That's great to know.

                      I'm doing a MMTMM with some of mine, but I'm not close to getting them assembled for a listening test just yet.
                      nope...not too bright...although I have parts for a fixed l-pad....did not dampen the frame on the Sony's either.

                      I have parts left over for a MMTMM..so I'll be anxious to see yours done.

                      Comment


                      • Re: sony buyout

                        Originally posted by Cubs2k View Post
                        nope...not too bright...although I have parts for a fixed l-pad....did not dampen the frame on the Sony's either.

                        I have parts left over for a MMTMM..so I'll be anxious to see yours done.
                        OK thanks. I don't have unrealistically high expectations for these -- how can you when they are < $1 each, right?? I'm pairing my build with a small powered Aura sub and a Lepai amp, so we're talking low wattage. Plus, they are going to be given to my son's art teacher for his classroom. Background music duty will be their job, and in that setting, I think they will do just fine.
                        Bryan K.

                        Midwest Audio Club

                        Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

                        Comment


                        • Re: sony buyout

                          Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                          OK thanks. I don't have unrealistically high expectations for these -- how can you when they are < $1 each, right?? I'm pairing my build with a small powered Aura sub and a Lepai amp, so we're talking low wattage. Plus, they are going to be given to my son's art teacher for his classroom. Background music duty will be their job, and in that setting, I think they will do just fine.
                          I'm interested to see how that Aura sub turns out.
                          Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                          Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                          Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                          Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                          Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                          NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

                          Comment


                          • Re: sony buyout

                            Going... going...... GONE!
                            Craig

                            I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

                            Comment


                            • Re: sony buyout

                              I oredered 32 of these the first time and they didn't have the gasket as shown and described. Tried to order 150 yesterday but was told they only had 13 left so I got those. I was told the next 13 have the gaskets which beats using rope caulk.

                              BTW on my build I used rope caulk on the basket of all 9 woofers in each cabinet. No metal noises from the baskets.

                              Comment


                              • Re: sony buyout

                                Originally posted by kenmcculloch View Post
                                I oredered 32 of these the first time and they didn't have the gasket as shown and described. Tried to order 150 yesterday but was told they only had 13 left so I got those. I was told the next 13 have the gaskets which beats using rope caulk.

                                BTW on my build I used rope caulk on the basket of all 9 woofers in each cabinet. No metal noises from the baskets.
                                None of mine have the gaskets either. Not only are those frames ugly, but they ring like nobody's business.

                                I used Peel & Seal on mine.



                                Bryan K.

                                Midwest Audio Club

                                Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X