Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sony buyout

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Re: sony buyout

    I feel like a cheapskate, with only one case on the way. Never thought I'd see the day when DIY'ers were taking about buying drivers in case quantities.
    Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
    Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
    Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
    Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
    Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
    NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

    Comment


    • #92
      Re: sony buyout

      Now I'm wishing I ordered more than one case. Maybe I'll order another when I order the crossover parts.

      Comment


      • #93
        Re: sony buyout

        Well since one of the tweeters I selected was suggested by XtremeRevolution, I will probably see what he comes up with and may copy his design for one set and I wanted to play around with a horn tweeter and at $2 each I figured those little piezo horns would be fun to play with. I'm going to have measurement equipment running soon since I brought my copy of SoundEasy back with me when I went to Michigan and I ordered a WT3 as another measurement device as well. Hopefully I'll be able to start getting my feet wet doing some actual designing in the not too distant future. I was only back from Michigan for two weeks and took off to visit my daughter in NYC last Saturday until this Tuesday. I think I am done traveling for a while, so I can buckle down and start trying to learn this stuff.
        My order also included four of each of these, so they will be another future project.
        http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=299-061
        http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=279-063

        I need to stop buying drivers and start building something from them, but then the little devil in the other side of my brain keeps saying "Those drivers look interesting, you should pick up some of those too, especially the buyout ones, because they might not be available later."

        Comment


        • #94
          Re: sony buyout

          i think you will like the bravox.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

          Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

          http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

          Comment


          • #95
            Re: sony buyout

            Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
            Not that I needed another project, but I pulled the trigger on two cases of these today and a couple of the tweeters suggested earlier in the thread to try with them.
            These http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=280-062 and these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1028
            You will love that Vifa!

            Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
            finalized TS
            measured on a large signal. Driver was fully warmed up/burned in, you name it. 40hz sine wave for 4 hours warm up.
            Thanks! That will definitely be helpful.

            Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
            I feel like a cheapskate, with only one case on the way. Never thought I'd see the day when DIY'ers were taking about buying drivers in case quantities.
            Would it make you feel better if I told you I will be buying 1-2 more cases on top of the 2 I already have?

            Originally posted by tagaiz View Post
            Now I'm wishing I ordered more than one case. Maybe I'll order another when I order the crossover parts.
            I'm fairly certain I'll be doing that as well.

            Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
            Well since one of the tweeters I selected was suggested by XtremeRevolution, I will probably see what he comes up with and may copy his design for one set and I wanted to play around with a horn tweeter and at $2 each I figured those little piezo horns would be fun to play with. I'm going to have measurement equipment running soon since I brought my copy of SoundEasy back with me when I went to Michigan and I ordered a WT3 as another measurement device as well. Hopefully I'll be able to start getting my feet wet doing some actual designing in the not too distant future. I was only back from Michigan for two weeks and took off to visit my daughter in NYC last Saturday until this Tuesday. I think I am done traveling for a while, so I can buckle down and start trying to learn this stuff.
            My order also included four of each of these, so they will be another future project.
            http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=299-061
            http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=279-063

            I need to stop buying drivers and start building something from them, but then the little devil in the other side of my brain keeps saying "Those drivers look interesting, you should pick up some of those too, especially the buyout ones, because they might not be available later."
            I will design my crossover around the Vifa for a 12 driver per channel line array, just so you know. I still have to pick a good affordable tweeter for use in a budget TM design.
            Modding the Lepai T-Amp

            Comment


            • #96
              Re: sony buyout

              Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
              You will love that Vifa!



              Thanks! That will definitely be helpful.



              Would it make you feel better if I told you I will be buying 1-2 more cases on top of the 2 I already have?



              I'm fairly certain I'll be doing that as well.



              I will design my crossover around the Vifa for a 12 driver per channel line array, just so you know. I still have to pick a good affordable tweeter for use in a budget TM design.
              Vifa BC25TG15-03. Great budget tweeter, cross as low as 1700, clean, for less than $20.
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

              Comment


              • #97
                Re: sony buyout

                Corner loading this array an option since its kinda fickle below 100?

                Comment


                • #98
                  Re: sony buyout

                  Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
                  I will design my crossover around the Vifa for a 12 driver per channel line array, just so you know. I still have to pick a good affordable tweeter for use in a budget TM design.
                  Do you think you could design one for 8 drivers per side as well? That's probably what I'll be doing.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Re: sony buyout

                    Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                    Vifa BC25TG15-03. Great budget tweeter, cross as low as 1700, clean, for less than $20.
                    That's more expensive than the tweeter I bought for the line array. I have a bit of trouble rationalizing a $16.12 tweeter for a $0.69 driver. If I wanted to spend a decent bit, I would just go with these since I already have 4 pairs sitting in my garage.

                    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1028

                    My "gift" budget TM design currently uses these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=279-061

                    So I was looking for something maybe slightly more expensive, since those may not play low enough. They do work wonderfully with the Aura NS35 though.

                    Originally posted by tagaiz View Post
                    Do you think you could design one for 8 drivers per side as well? That's probably what I'll be doing.
                    8 per side as opposed to 12 per side? I'll see what I can do.
                    Modding the Lepai T-Amp

                    Comment


                    • Re: sony buyout

                      I just got my case'o'drivers today. I measure 5.25" from edge to edge.
                      12 drivers per channel, assuming a straight vertical array, will end up being more than 6' tall. :eek: I'm gonna guess that's going to be unpopular with the average spousal unit. Ought to be the ultimate out in the shop though.. If this 12 driver line array is going to work out, I'll need another case.

                      The stamped sheet metal frame is interesting on these. Very light stamped frame, with a turned up edge around the outside. They also have a small gasket on the back of the frame, suggesting that they were intended to be mounted in a rebate. That turned up edge may be intended to increase the stiffness of the frame, but it makes the overall package look a little industrial, and it's sharp. Not hazardous, but capable of inflicting a little nick if one isn't careful handling them. It makes me wonder how they were mounted in commercial products.
                      Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                      Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                      Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                      Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                      Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                      NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

                      Comment


                      • Re: sony buyout

                        Can you post some pictures?

                        Comment


                        • Re: sony buyout

                          Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
                          I just got my case'o'drivers today. I measure 5.25" from edge to edge.
                          12 drivers per channel, assuming a straight vertical array, will end up being more than 6' tall. :eek: I'm gonna guess that's going to be unpopular with the average spousal unit. Ought to be the ultimate out in the shop though.. If this 12 driver line array is going to work out, I'll need another case.
                          6 feet tall? Fortunately for me, my wife doesn't mind much where I put my speakers and how big they are. She'll roll her eyes, but ultimately its my decision, so 6 foot tall line array it is.

                          I also noticed that the frames were a bit thin. I imagine some of the ringing measured earlier could be resolved with bits of the 40 foot roll of automotive sound deadening I have in the garage.
                          Modding the Lepai T-Amp

                          Comment


                          • Re: sony buyout

                            6 feet tall? Fortunately for me, my wife doesn't mind much where I put my speakers and how big they are. She'll roll her eyes, but ultimately its my decision, so 6 foot tall line array it is.
                            Bless her heart...

                            Re: sony buyout
                            Can you post some pictures?
                            Here's a couple I snapped:

                            Case'O'drivers... Two layers of 12 drivers.



                            Here's a close up, rather distorted by the wide angle lens setting. You can see the turned-up edge on the frame.



                            This one shows the driver as viewed from the side:

                            Last edited by Soundslike; 08-13-2011, 11:12 PM. Reason: Too many layers!!
                            Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                            Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                            Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                            Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                            Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                            NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

                            Comment


                            • Re: sony buyout

                              I thought a case was 24 woofers but you said there's 36.

                              Comment


                              • Re: sony buyout

                                I plan to rear mount these, so guess I'll need to route a recess for that lip. I wonder how sprayed on undercoating would work to damp the frame.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X