Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would you do with these if you had them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you do with these if you had them?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-821

Bought these years ago and have no idea what to do with them now.

Re: what would you do with these if you had them?

Put 'em in tubes, firing up, and use 'em as surround speakers. Unless your mains are very large or your surrounds very far away, they should be adequate.
    --
    "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

These might also be an option for an under flat screen sound bar.
      Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

I'd mod the tweeter filter!

I heard a set of these in the Dave Zachary corian cabinets in Lexington, KY a few years back. The tweeters sounded a little dead or unextended to me. It might need nothing more than an L-pad adjustment.

In Dave's cabs they were a little bass insufficient, so they also may require a global BSC filter. The midrange was not bad at all.

Later,
        Wolf
        Attached Files
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Attached Files
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Thanks for the ideas people. That back loaded horn idea looks like something I would like to do in the future!

Comment

transmission line?

small sealed enclosure (1L) as a sub-enclosure to a larger box (-3db is ~180hz)
              with another/larger woofer in the main enclosure as a .5 to handle the low end?

Comment

I'd do a smaller version of these:

Boenicke Audio Studio 12. Maybe with a side-firing Dayton slim 8" sub instead of a 12", to keep everything to scale. Boenicke's design requires DSP to equalize the response of the sub, but the MiniDSP is cheap. To get the shape, I'd do a translam of BB.
                Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

Hello, Tater. Cool looking idea.
                  What is a translam?
                  I did some searches and found some nice builds but did not see a common element between them.

Comment

Originally posted by Thezeek View Post
                    Hello, Tater. Cool looking idea.
                    What is a translam?
                    I did some searches and found some nice builds but did not see a common element between them.
                    Instead of having individual side panels The speaker is built in layers / slices of material from the bottom up and glued together as pieces are added. I've thought about translams in the past but the biggest hurdle to me is the cost of the material that isn't being used to make the void for where the speaker would sit.

Take it easy
                    Jay
                    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
                    Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
                    Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
                    Levitation TM
                    - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

of trying to mimic the design you showed tater, I'd probably do the laminations across the front face, left to right.

Comment

I say a battery powered boom box. And since it's a small driver the book box doesn't need to be huge.

Comment

Got it, translams do look nice. Functional to boot as well for a stout cabinet I would think.

Originally posted by Brewski View Post
                          Instead of having individual side panels The speaker is built in layers / slices of material from the bottom up and glued together as pieces are added. I've thought about translams in the past but the biggest hurdle to me is the cost of the material that isn't being used to make the void for where the speaker would sit.

Take it easy
                          Jay

Comment

Working...
                          X