Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Out of reach

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DIY Out of reach

    Looking at PE's site I was blown away at the price increases....The RS tweeters are 70 dollars now....Ushers are up I think I missed the incremental increases as I bought a pair of the RS tweeters for 49.00.... Im not poor but I'm certainly not rich (retired). This is a wonderful hobby and my hats off to the people who contribute so much but its definately skyrocketing out of control. Its too bad. BobC


    PS I have plans to build Mr Carmody's "Tarkus".......the SLS woofer just went up 20.00

  • #2
    Re: DIY Out of reach

    Whoa! :(
    "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: DIY Out of reach

      I hear your pain. I'm slowing finishing a current project, but I'm not itching to start any more. I'll keep an eye out for sales from time to time, but the price increase has me a little turned off.

      Infinity, Behringer, and Yamaha have offerings that DIY can't seem to touch, so if I need more speakers in the future, I'll probably just buy pre-built. For mid-fi needs anyway.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: DIY Out of reach

        subs can be good diy . multi sub projects IB subs etc. really hi end can have value. what is hard to do is a good diy 200 dollar bookshelf pair = to a 400 or 500 dollar commercial speaker.


        here is a good 2 way commercial product cost 600 list 500 at link


        http://www.accessories4less.com/make...osewood/1.html

        this used be equaled for a few hundred if you built the box your self now it cost more like 350 to equal it and you have to build the boxes. once in a while the mordant goes on a sale at the link and is about 320. with free shipping. now if you are building really nice diy like one of these


        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=225037


        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224843


        or pete s. 3 ways or a few other really nice diy stuff it still pays.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: DIY Out of reach

          We all got spoiled with the buyouts from major speaker companies who were going under. The glut of OEM drivers really over supplied the market. Most folks on a limited budget, stocked up on the cheap drivers.

          Fewer commercial vendors + higher material/transportation cost + more "broke" builders = Higher Cost, lower production/purchasing volumes.
          Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
          "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
          Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: DIY Out of reach

            As someone who is much better at buying parts than using them, my foolish expenditure has proven to be a better investment than precious metals. I've been bartering them for all sorts of things. :D

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: DIY Out of reach

              Originally posted by generic View Post
              I hear your pain. I'm slowing finishing a current project, but I'm not itching to start any more. I'll keep an eye out for sales from time to time, but the price increase has me a little turned off.

              Infinity, Behringer, and Yamaha have offerings that DIY can't seem to touch, so if I need more speakers in the future, I'll probably just buy pre-built. For mid-fi needs anyway.
              Prices for OEM are going up as well, so while it may not have shown up in finished speakers yet sooner or later it will.
              Besides, if you're doing DIY with the eye to it's being the cheapest alternative, it never has been and never will be a competitive alternative to entry to lower- mid level commercial cabs. It's an affordable alternative to mid to high end speakers that would otherwise be out of reach.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: DIY Out of reach

                It won't get any cheaper. You just have to adjust your goals. For example, I always liked LouC's Schticks. Now, the price of those TB Neo subs means I won't be building that design.

                On a lighter note, there are some Usher kits on clearance pricing, really good deals. I just don't need any more speakers.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: DIY Out of reach

                  Absolutely OEM's are raising prices as well. Myself, I'm seeing increases in everything ... my drivers are more expensive because I'm buying them from EU countries, and the dollar is worth it's weight in lawn clippings. But more than just that, finishing supplies, abrasivies, wood products, adhesives, even boxes and packing materials are ALL going up in price. REAL inflation, not the BS number they're putting out these days, is in the 13-15% range.

                  However, industrial commodities (everything other than gold and silver) has been dropping over the last 6 weeks or so. And with the European banks on the verge of implosion, the dollar is starting to do better relatively. Oil has even dropped below $90/barrel from it's recent high of $118/barrel. So hopefully we'll see prices drop a bit or at least stabilize.

                  Of course the 800 pound gorilla is if the EU banks do collapse, we get the domino effect of equity collapse, and demand dries up a-la 2008. If that happens, prices of everything tank again because nobody will be buying.

                  All of this day to day uncertainty and fear of collapse thanks to the International Banking cartel, and all the politicians which they own. And the reason they've come to rule the World is the Federal Reserve. Our only hope of stability is either ending the Fed or dramatically it's ability to shape global markets.

                  ... whew
                  Vapor Audio

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: DIY Out of reach

                    Originally posted by DoubleTap View Post
                    ...REAL inflation, not the BS number they're putting out these days, is in the 13-15% range.

                    However, industrial commodities (everything other than gold and silver) has been dropping over the last 6 weeks or so. And with the European banks on the verge of implosion, the dollar is starting to do better relatively. Oil has even dropped below $90/barrel from it's recent high of $118/barrel. So hopefully we'll see prices drop a bit or at least stabilize.

                    Of course the 800 pound gorilla is if the EU banks do collapse, we get the domino effect of equity collapse, and demand dries up a-la 2008. If that happens, prices of everything tank again because nobody will be buying.

                    All of this day to day uncertainty and fear of collapse thanks to the International Banking cartel, and all the politicians which they own. And the reason they've come to rule the World is the Federal Reserve. Our only hope of stability is either ending the Fed or dramatically it's ability to shape global markets.

                    ... whew
                    Preach!
                    SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
                    Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
                    SEC DIY 2014 Thread

                    SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
                    SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: DIY Out of reach

                      Originally posted by scottq View Post
                      Preach!
                      Haha, I try ... nobody ever listens. I was a full-time day trader for almost 4 years. My + days were 20x that of losing days, even had one 16 months stretch without a losing day. Still I have friends that buy Cisco and Research In Motion against my advice :rolleyes:

                      The only good news is that oil is down to $87/barrel now, gas should be under $3/gallon for most of us by early next week.

                      I suppose the other good news is that the Dollar is doing better, so maybe some of these EU sourced drivers will go down a bit ... but with QE3 right around the corner, who knows how long that will last.
                      Vapor Audio

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: DIY Out of reach

                        Originally posted by djg View Post
                        It won't get any cheaper. You just have to adjust your goals. For example, I always liked LouC's Schticks. Now, the price of those TB Neo subs means I won't be building that design.

                        On a lighter note, there are some Usher kits on clearance pricing, really good deals. I just don't need any more speakers.
                        We'll just have to come up with some cheaper woofers for that design! I'll put it on the "Ta Doo" list.
                        Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                        "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                        Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: DIY Out of reach

                          You have to buy a serious speaker to get the equivalent of that $70 tweeter inside. If your labor is free, you should be able to beat those commercial offerings especially if you are willing to do some serious design work.

                          I realized shortly after I moved to CA that DIY was no longer a real option. I tried to make it work, but only made moderate headway. No space for tools or time for labor. Fortunately there are a lot of great inexpensive speakers available now and I've never been happier. I actually think it's the best time to be a frugalphile if you're not into DIY. DIY requires cash, space and perseverance! Things that are in short supply here and these days in general.

                          Dan
                          "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
                          http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
                          http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: DIY Out of reach

                            I got like 14 of those black bravox 6.5" buyout subs
                            4 Sliver 6.5"
                            4 Sliver 5.5"
                            8 Klipch 6.5 buyouts
                            10 M4N
                            14 ND105-4

                            I got lots of different tweeters too... so maybe the higher prices is a good thing. Keeps me from being tempted to buy new drivers... although I just bought some new Dayton RS cuz of the sale hahaha

                            Like my wife always asks... "How many speakers do you need?"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: DIY Out of reach

                              I got like 14 of those black bravox 6.5" buyout subs
                              4 Sliver 6.5"
                              4 Sliver 5.5"
                              8 Klipch 6.5 buyouts
                              10 M4N
                              14 ND105-4

                              I got lots of different tweeters too... so maybe the higher prices is a good thing. Keeps me from being tempted to buy new drivers... although I just bought some new Dayton RS cuz of the sale hahaha
                              A man after my own heart.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X