Crazy Cheap 2-Way Kit Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Cheap 2-Way Kit Deal

Danny Richie/GR-Research is selling off extra stock of the AV123 X-LS he designed a2-way kit stock for $109 for EVERYTHING but cabs.

There are plenty of reviews of the retail X-LS, just google.

Re: Crazy Cheap 2-Way Kit Deal

where do you go to order a set?

Comment

www.gr-research.com
      Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

I was going to post about this but it's already been done, so I'm adding on instead of staring a new thread.

So what this is:
        http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90911.0
        X-LS kit:
        Includes the M165 woofer (6.5", polymer frame, treated paper cone, rubber surround, XBL^ motor) and the GR tweeter. It comes with an assembled crossover (wire wound resistors, air core inductors and poly caps), hookup wire, screws, terminal cup, PORT, and plans. $109 + shipping.

X-LS encore kit:
        Same as above, but an upgraded Peerless India 1" fabric dome tweeter and revised crossover with a sonicap bypass cap. $149/pair + shipping

The even have the X-static kit which is insane.
        It's an open baffle design with the Peerless India tweeter and 4! woofers in a 3-way design for $379 They used to sell the completed speaker for $1000 and that was considered a deal.

The M165 woofer is made by peerless India. It was measured by Zaph, which was the source of immense controversy. Suffice it to say, I don't want to stir that up.

The main reason I am posting is that these seem to be a really good deal. You can't hardly build a decent speaker for this price. I asked Danny Richie a bunch of questions about these kits and he was prompt and courteous in answering me.

Anyway, I am probably going to purchase a pair of X-LS and X-LS encore, so I'll be able to compare them and get 2 pairs of speakers out of the deal. I think the bookshelf version plays into the 50s well and the floorstanding can reach into the mid 40s. They are 8-ohm designs and have decent sensitivity.

I hesitated posting this because I don't want to start a flame war, or anything. Just an informative post, in which I have no vested interest.
        -Dan
        Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

I think Jinjuku built one of these. He might comment.

Comment

I built the XLS Encore kit. It was $165 shipped. All I can compare to is some Polk TSi 100's. And there is no contest.

There is more bottom end with the XLS and mid range is opened up. The tweeter is the real gem on these. Image well, a bit forward, but non-fatiguing. There is even a Sonic cap in what I believe is a notch filter for the Tweeter:D

GR Research offers an upgraded XO (the topology is the same just upgraded components). Whether this has real value, I don't know because I did this for a project for a speaker building editorial for Audioholics and also for a class I am teaching at my local WoodCraft.

I believe the Dayton RS 180 to be a better woofer however. But that isn't how the kit comes assembled.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

The Sonicap is a "Gen II" Sonicap. It's 0.1 uF and they use it as a "bypass capacitor". Basically what Danny Richie was saying is that it's quicker to charge/discharge than a big cap. They use it in parallel with a larger cap. He showed some graphs that indicated a large capacitor that is bypassed has slightly better phase shift, at higher frequencies. When I looked at the graph, the way I interpreted it, it seems to make only a minimal difference- but, he's a world-famous crossover designer, and I'm not. I don't believe it's a notch filter, as I interpret it.

Are you using GR Research kits for your speaker building class?
              -Dan
              Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
                Thanks for the feedback.

The Sonicap is a "Gen II" Sonicap. It's 0.1 uF and they use it as a "bypass capacitor". Basically what Danny Richie was saying is that it's quicker to charge/discharge than a big cap. They use it in parallel with a larger cap. He showed some graphs that indicated a large capacitor that is bypassed has slightly better phase shift, at higher frequencies. When I looked at the graph, the way I interpreted it, it seems to make only a minimal difference- but, he's a world-famous crossover designer, and I'm not. I don't believe it's a notch filter, as I interpret it.

Are you using GR Research kits for your speaker building class?
                I hope so. If any are left. But when I ordered they had 100's of them. So I think I will be fine. Hopefully I can get a quantity discount. Every bit helps since I am trying to keep all materials at $175 per (MDF, cabinet lining etc...). If all goes well it will be a four person class.

Comment

Well, the regular X-LS would certainly be in that budget. The encore- not sure because of shipping, wood, (vernier?). I'm sure he'd cut you some sort of break if you bought enough of them. Some people from India just did a huge group buy, over $10,000 worth of GR stuff. Funny, the Peerless India drivers were made in India, shipped to Columbia, shipped to Texas, now back to India...
                  -Dan

Comment

These look really nice for what you get. Would the X-Omni work well as mains in a 5.1 configuration with the X-CS Encore as the Center and X-CS as rear surrounds? Not sure the difference between the X-CS and the X-LS, or if one would be better than the other as rear surrounds.

They posted that last July, so I don't know what kind of volumes of product they have left, but if they have any when I get my tax return, it might be a great way to jump into a surround system for not a ton of cash.

Comment

Okay, so I'm no expert, but here's the rundown.

X-LS: 2-way bookshelf- floorstanding plan optional

X-LS MTM: A large and loud floorstander (good for front mains, IMO)

X-CS: Designed to work as a center, with 2 drivers in an MTM formation. Plans are for sealed to keep the size down. You could use this vertically as a sealed MTM for rear speakers if you wanted.

X-Static: 3-way using 4 6.5" woofers, crossed over at 200 Hz to the bottom 2. They use 16-ohm drivers to keep the impedance around 8 ohms. Open baffle mids.

X-Omni: This is a floorstanding omni-directional speaker. It comes with the Encore tweeter, revised crossover, and brass floor spikes. Omni-directional speakers blow my mind, but some omni designs have been well received when tried.

Which speakers are right for you depends on your room size and desired volume level. If you have a small room with low ceilings, the single driver is probably fine. Large room, the MTM fronts would be nice. Just my thoughts.
                      -Dan

Comment

For $109 I can't even get a pair of RS28s right now.. insane!
                        Line Array: IDS-25 Clone, FE-83.
                        2-2.5 Way:
                        Zaph Audio's winning entry: ZA5+SB29. - Microliths: RS125+RS28. - Small Bangs: TB W4-1658SB+SEAS 27TBFC/G. - Monoliths: Peerless 830884+SEAS 27TBFC/G.
                        3-3.5 Way:Miniliths: SEAS P21/CA21REX+Neo8 PDR+Neo3 PDR. - Megaliths: 2xDayton RS270+2xT-B W4-1337SB+SB29. - ZDT3.5 +: 2xDayton RS180+Dayton RS52+Vifa DQ25. Reflexos: OB 4xDayton RS150 + Neo3 PDR.

Comment

Does anyone what volume boxes are needed for these kits?

Will any of the PE boxes work?

Comment

Originally posted by foxfire3 View Post
                            Does anyone what volume boxes are needed for these kits?

Will any of the PE boxes work?
                            I know that the X-LS/Encore works in 0.5 cubic feet as a bookshelf, with a 8.5" x 13.5" front baffle.

So this and others would work:
                            http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-721

(baffle size is perfect)

Center channel would need at least 1 cubic feet, or more.
                            This would work for the center channel or MTM:
                            http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-756

You could ask Danny Richie also, he's helpful and he knows a lot more about it than I do.
                            -Dan

Comment

Dan,
                              You say, "The M165 woofer is made by peerless India. It was measured by Zaph, which was the source of immense controversy."
                              I can't find Zaph's measurements. Do you have a link?

Thanks,
                              Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X