The Stentorians : NS6/BC25 Project Showcase [design by Curt Campbell]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stentorians : NS6/BC25 Project Showcase [design by Curt Campbell]

So... The latest Parts Express Showcase Project is shown in the "preview" of the "Huge Inventory Clearance Sale" Sales Flyer...

Click image for larger version

Name:	stentorian.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	1179181

Maybe Curt will chime in - what do you guys think is the best way to flatten out that big bass hump at ~180 Hz?

Aura NS6 video (Parts Express): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TFH_...layer_embedded
    Last edited by critofur; 08-25-2011, 03:06 PM.
    "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Re: The Stentorians : NS6/BC25 Project Showcase [design by Curt Campbell]

Originally posted by critofur View Post
    Maybe Curt will chime in - what do you guys think is the best way to flatten out that big bass hump?]
    Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    - Aristotle

Comment

They look pretty darn neat and fun, tho the total price considering the woofers are buyouts is a bit more than I could justify for an impulse purchase but if I know anyone who wants to dabble I'll sell them on it so I can help build and hear em. Heheheh.

Comment

Curt, Is your web site still up? I can t get there from your link.

Comment

Those woofers have a nice big X-lim! And with that many woofers with that much X-max/X-lim and that many voice coils to take the power - you should be able to weasle good bass out of them one way or another!

Maybe this speaker just has to have active EQ... :( Maybe MiniDSP?

How about trying some of the woofers having output only below that bump? Guess you would need some big inductors, but having each "pair" in series at twice the impedance you would only need half the inductor size...

I built a pair of TMM cabinets for these woofers and the Seas DXT tweeters - the the first port tuning I tried I got a 10 db bass bump at ~ 150 hz! (after a little investigation I found that my EQ was responsible for about half that - durh...).

Anyway, I might get back to it in a while to see about flattening it out.

Comment

I think I'm going to try 4 of these guys or the sony woofers per side with my future MiniDSP setup...

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
            return to the source
            leviathan system thread
            deadhorse thread
            shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Hi Curt C, could you post a little more detail about the enclosure size ect... Thanks !

Comment

I liked Mike's video. Technical, but not too technical. ;)
                Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Am I the only one not seeing an enclosure drawing, specs, tuning etc.? Not one in the Showcase either
                  Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Per Curt's post, the enclosure has changed since the sales brochure. The final design will be in the showcase eventually, I reckon. I'm sure they can edit the showcase if they can't change the sales brochure. I hope they have a lot of those Auras.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                      Per Curt's post, the enclosure has changed since the sales brochure. The final design will be in the showcase eventually, I reckon. I'm sure they can edit the showcase if they can't change the sales brochure. I hope they have a lot of those Auras.
                      Curt warned us here a few weeks back. Glad he has another Showcase winner. Let the orders begin!
                      Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Henry View Post
                        Curt warned us here a few weeks back. Glad he has another Showcase winner. Let the orders begin!
                        Heh, I bought 50 or 60 before Curt mentioned his project...

Comment

Originally posted by thor61 View Post
                          Hi Curt C, could you post a little more detail about the enclosure size ect... Thanks !
                          Now that the flyer is out, I can put the design up on my website. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend, but its already shaping up to be a busy one...

Those woofers have a nice big X-lim! And with that many woofers with that much X-max/X-lim and that many voice coils to take the power - you should be able to weasle good bass out of them one way or another!
                          Like any design, you can generally obtain better bass extension at the expense of max SPL and enclosure size. The game here was to make something that could really kick out some sound in a relatively small cab. I figured for HT use, everyone's going to use sub's anyway, so the receiver could be set to 'small', or otherwise high passed, which would make any bass bump a non-issue.

Here's the latest enclosure drawing, as well as a system HD plot. Pretty decent for $10 drivers.

C

Attached Files

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
                          - Aristotle

Comment

Holy crap! That's awesome! Can anyone post the crossover? I won't see the flyer till I get home like November or so, The internet sucks here or else I'd try to download it.
                            Last edited by greywarden; 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                            return to the source
                            leviathan system thread
                            deadhorse thread
                            shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Arrrg! Left my flash drive with all the documentation on the design plugged into my computer at work today...

Here's a screenshot from the flyer:

Attached Files

- Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                              X