No announcement yet.

How can 1 tell what ohms a speaker is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can 1 tell what ohms a speaker is?

I have an existing speakers that I am using for a HT. I want to replace the speakers in the existing cabinet. Problem is I am not sure what ohms the speakers are. Is there a device I can use to test or would it be wise to do this as long as I get the correct size drivers? Would I get an improvement out of the speakers if I did so?

Re: How can 1 tell what ohms a speaker is?

Is there a device I can use to test
    there are several ways...
    Google: measuring speaker impedance - and you'll get links, like
    http://sound.westhost.com/tsp.htm.

It can be guesstimated with a simple DC resistance measure.
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Re: How can 1 tell what ohms a speaker is?

Originally posted by Ram Jr View Post
      I have an existing speakers that I am using for a HT. I want to replace the speakers in the existing cabinet. Problem is I am not sure what ohms the speakers are. Is there a device I can use to test or would it be wise to do this as long as I get the correct size drivers?
      An 8 ohm driver will read about 6 ohms resistance with a $4 Harbor Freight DMM. A 4n reads about 3.

Replacing drivers based on purely their physical frame diameters is like, well, it's like a lot of really bad comparisons. I'm sure you can make up quite a few on your own.

Would I get an improvement out of the speakers if I did so?

No way of knowing the answer to this. Unless they're seized up, it's not very likely. Now, if you took the box (provided its walls are thick enough), braced it, and found a pre-exitsting design that was made for that same internal volume, then you could try putting in THOSE drivers and the crossover designed for them, and THEN you'd probably end up with something better.

Chris

Comment

Working...
      X