The best crossover man?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best crossover man?

Who do you consider the best crossover man in this forum and well known others: DIYaudio, HTguide, etc?

You could elaborate by listing from best to least best, general xover knowledge, willingness to help, willingness to design complete XOs and attendent requirements. This type of thing.

Dave

Re: The best crossover man?

Originally posted by Interlochen2 View Post
    Who do you consider the best crossover man in this forum and well known others: DIYaudio, HTguide, etc?

You could elaborate by listing from best to least best, general xover knowledge, willingness to help, willingness to design complete XOs and attendent requirements. This type of thing.

Dave

I personally don't think that that is a good question to ask, especially with the suggestion of listing in order of best to least. You are bound to create hurt feelings this way.

“I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

the best crossover guy is one who is willing to help, regardless of his/her ranking on some arbitrary scale. I have received plenty of help from senior "gurus" with my stupid questions.

And one crossover answer is there can be several "very good" crossovers for any particular combination of drivers and boxes - they will all sound a bit different, but it is a personal subjective preference to state which is "best".

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I have to agree with the other posters here, this kind of discussion is best left for private communication.

I suggest that you hang out here for awhile. You will get a sense of who can do what.

-Charlie
        Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

Originally posted by charlielaub View Post
          I have to agree with the other posters here, this kind of discussion is best left for private communication.

I suggest that you hang out here for awhile. You will get a sense of who can do what.

-Charlie
          I've been around for years. Recently TT started refusing to take my username and password. Haven't posted much.

I agree with you on my wording. Bad form.
          ----------------------------------

How about this: If you feel like talking about the XO masters in any way shape or form, great. For example - maybe Jeff B corrected a Framus Error for Joe Blow here and Wolf has this uncanny ability to unravel certain.... etc etc.

I jest about Framus, or Framous. He did the Ellis 1801b and I still am mezmorized by that speaker, especially the woofer/tweeter integration.
          Brilliant man.

So how about that? May generate something interesting and useful. If not, talk amongst yourselves. Squabbling in an audio forum would be a scandalous rarity. Seriously though...hurt feelings...don't want.

Comment

I think this thread, like your Copper Project thread, should die. You seem like a nice enough person, but both of your threads seem a bit awkward to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlochen2 View Post
              I've been around for years. Recently TT started refusing to take my username and password. Haven't posted much.

I agree with you on my wording. Bad form.
              ----------------------------------

How about this: If you feel like talking about the XO masters in any way shape or form, great. For example - maybe Jeff B corrected a Framus Error for Joe Blow here and Wolf has this uncanny ability to unravel certain.... etc etc.

I jest about Framus, or Framous. He did the Ellis 1801b and I still am mezmorized by that speaker, especially the woofer/tweeter integration.
              Brilliant man.

So how about that? May generate something interesting and useful. If not, talk amongst yourselves. Squabbling in an audio forum would be a scandalous rarity. Seriously though...hurt feelings...don't want.
              Big Edit! Just bag this one. Not going to work. Apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                I think this thread, like your Copper Project thread, should die. You seem like a nice enough person, but both of your threads seem a bit awkward to me.
                Agreed.

Comment

I personally don't like 'what's best' or, 'who's best' threads in general. They most times lead to acrimony and, as someone pointed out earlier here, bad feelings.

These types of threads go against the 'community spirit' of a forum.
                  Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

For me these forums are for learning more about building speakers than who is best at what. I think even the best crossover people will say the same thing. As my Dad used to say "You can learn something from everybody you meet"
                    Jeff

Comment

Being that Jeff wrote the software, he'd get my vote for top dog. Even seeing some of his designs would make me think that. No one is best all the time however(I think). I mean everyone has some gap in their knowledge. Beyond that, I'd hate to start ranking them, but Pete and Wolf are excellent as well.

Dan
                      "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
                      http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
                      http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

Originally posted by dantheman View Post
                        Being that Jeff wrote the software, he'd get my vote for top dog. Even seeing some of his designs would make me think that. No one is best all the time however(I think). I mean everyone has some gap in their knowledge. Beyond that, I'd hate to start ranking them, but Pete and Wolf are excellent as well.

Dan
                        Just playing Devil's advocate here, but have you heard designs from all three?
                        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

And isn't it completely subjective? I mean, there is quite a bit of objectivity in the process, but for the final staging, doesn't every person kind of put a twist on crossovers to their liking? I would think that would make it near impossible to decicde a best crossover person.
                          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

The question can't be answered, and even if it could, the answer would be essentially meaningless.
                            This idea of 'best' is not useful.
                            I doubt we could even get a consensus for the top 3 designs here.

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                              And isn't it completely subjective? I mean, there is quite a bit of objectivity in the process, but for the final staging, doesn't every person kind of put a twist on crossovers to their liking? I would think that would make it near impossible to decicde a best crossover person.
                              Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
                              The question can't be answered, and even if it could, the answer would be essentially meaningless.
                              This idea of 'best' is not useful.
                              I doubt we could even get a consensus for the top 3 designs here.
                              Exactly my point. I'm not referring to anyone from here or HT Guide, but there are a couple of well known DIY designers out there who appear to be experts, but I've only heard negative things about how their designs sound.

There are two big issues here, how things look on paper and the subjective nature of what sounds good.

IMO, the only solution, study and learn how do your own crossover design and build something that sounds good to you and/or your audience.
                              "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X