Seven Stages of DIY Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven Stages of DIY Addiction

Been here for 10+ years, done 30+ designs. Based on my own experience and as a student of human nature, there seems to be a recurrent pattern in the evolution of DIY speaker building junkies. Here's my observation of the pattern.

7 Stages of DIY Addiction

1. Me want big boom, loud -- Bass & spl primary concerns Usually Cerwin Vega's, or cheap DJ speakers are the baseline standard.

2. My music sounds like crap -- Now that I have semi decent speakers, I realize how bad the source music really is.

3. Try a good proven design -- Wow that's what I've been missing! Me want more better... :eek:

4. Design my own -- Variable; some work out, some don't. Usually results in buying more gear and drivers. Often accompanied by endless questions about the best design, topology, driver, etc... Intended to be the "last speaker I'll ever need" :p

5. First Bomb -- I can't make this driver combo work, maybe I just got lucky before. :( The last milestone before total addiction sets in. You either settle for your best liked design, or resolve to conquer anything. Often results in exponential expenditures for new tools, shop toys, and frequent trips Lowes/HD/Habuh Fleight.

6. Lexus Stage -- Endless obsessive pursuit of the ultimate speaker. May be "value" or "absolute quality". Often accompanied by forays into audiophile electronics, boutique caps, buyout drivers, and endless tweaking. Not unusual to have speakers in every room in the house, many unfinished. May also manifest itself in trying the newest "novel" idea on the board. :o

7. Acquiescence -- You finally realize every design is ultimately a compromise, so you continue do it. You rationalize the expenses as an alternative to higher priced hobbies, and a way to amortize the cost of all the reusable tools, measuring gear, etc.
    Last edited by LouC; 09-24-2011, 07:14 PM.
    Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
    "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
    Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Re: Seven Stages of DIY Addiction

1. Me want big boom, loud
    LOL!
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Well done!

I have to wonder though about the DIY'rs who've built oodles of speakers.... What do they do with them afterward?
      I'm still trying to unload my first two builds on CL.
      Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Good one, Lou! :D

I don't have a problem -- I can quit any time I want to :p

Comment

aaa me too. i just read it for the articles.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I'm in first part of 4, where research is the obsession. This forum is the longest time I've been a regular on any forum (even if my contributions have diminished over the last couple of months.)
            - John

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. M. L. King
            www.BuildTheDream.org

Comment

@ LouC +1 !

What stage is it when you start figuring out how to hide your deliveries from PE from your signifcant other?

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

There's nothing to add. You've nailed it.

Dan
                The Hurricanes
                The Baronettes
                Conneccentric
                UX3

Comment

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
                  Well done!

I have to wonder though about the DIY'rs who've built oodles of speakers.... What do they do with them afterward?
                  I'm still trying to unload my first two builds on CL.
                  Gift them. (Weddings, graduations) Barter them for services. I donated a pair as prizes for a science fair, and sold a couple pair to impoverished music students for the cost of the parts. I tried Craig's List, but the greaseballs who showed up looked like they were casing the joint for burglary. Sold a few over the net. Every one of my doctors has a pair (or will get a pair) 3 of them gave me their cell phone numbers. Cheaper than my copays.

It's one of the reasons I don't build with uber drivers any more. Less money to have tied up in finished builds.

Comment

I can quit whenever I want, I just don't want to right now...

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      aaa me too. i just read it for the articles.
                      Me too :rolleyes:

Awesome Lou. Just awesome.

Comment

Lou,

With your 10+ years of experience, have you got any advice for someone who's at stage 4 ?

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                          @ LouC +1 !

What stage is it when you start figuring out how to hide your deliveries from PE from your signifcant other?
                          Make friends with the FedEx guy. Or get her an Amazon Visa Card preloaded with $100 or so. My wife is delighted when I go out to the garage, probably wishes I'd stay out there for good. Point out friends who race stock cars, hit t!tt!e bars, or belong to a country club. "See, I could be doing that..."

Comment

There should be a stage somewhere:

"as much money spent on table saw / vacuum press / router / woofer tester / mic setup that you will end up spending on your first 3-4 speaker projects combined" :D :eek:
                            :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
                              Lou,

With your 10+ years of experience, have you got any advice for someone who's at stage 4 ?
                              Take up a new vice, a mistress, or fast motor sports, you are on the precipice. Otherwise, start finding other geek-like friends and relatives who will want your builds.;)

Comment

Working...
                              X