The Wildeman - MMTMM Sony buyout build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Wildeman - MMTMM Sony buyout build

Time to get the cabs painted and get this project done. Here’s the rattle can paint I’m using – all from the local Home Depot:

Masking off the front baffles – going to paint the cabs Satin Granite and the baffles will be Silver Textured Metallic. It was 4am when I did this – what are the odds I get these lines straight??

One coat of the PT satin granite:

This is after 3 coats and I didn’t san in between coats (no time). But I’ve used this exact paint before and if you take the time to sand you can get a sick finish. As it is, it’s really nice.

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

While the paint was drying, I finished the sub – this is the Dayton SA 25 - 25-watt plate amplifier.

Had to swap a quick-disconnect. The terminals on the sub are both 0.205”

So…the sub is done, the paint is still drying. Time to knock out the crossovers. These are simple 2.6k crossovers. Second order on the tweeter and third order on the woofers. I understand the 5k ringing noise on the woofer isn’t that much of an issue but to be sure, I wanted a steeped slope there. There’s no padding on the tweeter. Originally I was going to go with a 2.1k with L-pad, but with the extra parts I had, this was easier.

You ever get the feeling it’s time to take a break? What a mess.

The completed crossovers. These are mainly inventory parts, except for the Dayton polys.

Paint dry – time to strip off the tape and re-mask so we can shoot the baffles. This is one coat of the Silver Textured Metallic. It goes on pretty thick and it fills small imperfections well. It also dries really fast.

This shows the contrast between the PT Satin Granite and the Silver Textured Metallic.

Crossovers installed and the rear-mounted woofers installed.

And here they are – The Wildeman 2.1

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Just a note on the sub. The Aura NS8 likes power. It needs more than a 25-watt amp, but I wanted to keep the project budget low, so that was the reason for choosing the Dayton SA25. In retrospect, I would have stepped up to a more powerful amp.

As is, the Aura kicks at low and moderate volume however, and it likes that size box. It's a really good-sounding 12" cube -- absolutely perfect for a workstation or a small room setup. I really wish I had spent the extra $$$ on the 70-watt amp however.
        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Definitely Drool-worthy. VERY nice build man!

Comment

I really like the looks of those mmtmm's and the contrast between grays. You've got those 69 cent drivers looking like they're worth dozens of times more. Nicely done!

TomZ
            Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Listening impressions?

Nice job!

Comment

Well done sir! I am going to do a similar setup for my son's room except he might just be getting the sub out of my car for the low end. I am replacing it with 2 of those Auras.

Comment

Nice job, I like the look. I'll bet Wildeman loves'em.
                  Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                  Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                  Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                  Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                  Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                  NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

Thanks guys!!

I did not have a chance to listen to the mains once the cabinets were all sealed up. My son did the last bits and tested the whole system with the Lepai TA2020. He says they are a bit bright, but solid. A couple notches down on the treble control on the amp takes care of brightness. I should have installed an L-pad for a 3db attenuation as the constant directivity horn is quite efficient. However, the real test will be once the system is installed in the classroom. That should be later today and I will get a full report from my son. I'm out of the country so I won't have a chance to sit down and give them a good listen for at least a week.

For a total of approx. $44.00 in drivers, it's a 100% success. Like I mentioned earlier, I would have stepped up the subwoofer amp and I'm sure the mains would love a little extra juice, but then we quickly leave "budget territory."

I will post a full BOM in a week or so, just for yucks. This was a fun project and the fact that I got to do it with my 17-yr-old, made it that much more fun. I think he's slowly getting hooked on this hobby :eek: -- the wife will not be amused.
                    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Oh wow, those look great! Those 69c woofers look like woofers on some of the mid-priced HT towers!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                      return to the source
                      leviathan system thread
                      deadhorse thread
                      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                        This was a fun project and the fact that I got to do it with my 17-yr-old, made it that much more fun. I think he's slowly getting hooked on this hobby :eek: -- the wife will not be amused.
                        That is great you could do it together. I have my 10 year old son pretty much hooked too. We are getting the parts together to do a similar setup for his room. It looks like he might get the Ascendant Audio 10" from my car as his sub though. My wife is not amused either. HAHA

Comment

Originally posted by John_Frum View Post
                          It looks like he might get the Ascendant Audio 10" from my car as his sub though. My wife is not amused either. HAHA
                          Steve Meade would be proud. Even a small Ascendant Audio sub is more than enough for a bedroom.
                          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Steve Meade would be proud. Even a small Ascendant Audio sub is more than enough for a bedroom.
                            Nice, a reference to Meade on my DIY audiophile oriented board. My two audio worlds are coming together. It is just the entry level Assassin but it is a small room so, it will be loud.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Frum View Post
                              Nice, a reference to Meade on my DIY audiophile oriented board. My two audio worlds are coming together. It is just the entry level Assassin but it is a small room so, it will be loud.
                              HAHA...yeah. I think way down deep, there's a little SPL in all of us.
                              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

HAHA...yeah. I think way down deep, there's a little SPL in all of us.
                                I guess we could call that our "sensitivity side" HAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Working...
                                X