X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Wildeman - MMTMM Sony buyout build

bkeane1259,

Thanks for sharing.

Did you stick with the original crossover you posted on 1st page? Could you post the crossover you ended up with including the 3db L-pad?

Ever get a chance to listen to them?

Comment

I think the original crossover
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Great project! And I find the Steve Meade reference a little amusing as well, even though I think my next project may include Sundown!

Comment

Any update on the Final XO you ended up with? any chance you could post your components here?
          I just finished the cabinet for a MMTMM center using these woofers (4 sony's down 44 more to go) , still unsure of the tweeter yet, so I have the CD horn you used in my shopping cart along with a dc28f truncated.

BTW, I love your choice of silver, I used the same color/brand in my first build here on PE.

Comment

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
            Any update on the Final XO you ended up with? any chance you could post your components here?
            I just finished the cabinet for a MMTMM center using these woofers (4 sony's down 44 more to go) , still unsure of the tweeter yet, so I have the CD horn you used in my shopping cart along with a dc28f truncated.

BTW, I love your choice of silver, I used the same color/brand in my first build here on PE.
            Thanks so much for the comments.

I have to say I definitely looked at this build and said "what a gorgeous (and dirt cheap) CC this could be!!" HOWEVER......and I can't stress this enough. I don't possess the XO design skills to figure out the horizontal XO for this, and from what I read it makes a huge difference, so please do your research.

The other thing to consider is matching all the speakers in the HT setup....I'm sure I'm not giving you any new info here. You certainly can create a fab HT set with these Sony buyouts, but put good thought into your tweeter. I wouldn't necessarily use the constant directivity horn in a HT setup, personally.
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Here's what I ended up using for the Wildeman crossover.

A few notes:

I used as many surplus parts as I could because I was on a very tight budget. My original thought was to do a 2.1k crossover, but I didn't have the parts I thought I did, so I ended up with this.

My main concern was rolling off the midbass at a frequency and a slope that would kill the 5k ring issue, so I did a 3rd order there. I did a 2nd order on the tweet. I originally included a 3db L-pad on the tweeter but omitted it in the end and that was a mistake. They definitely are bright. In the classroom setting they reside in, it's not much of an issue because there are no critical listeners or even critical listening positions involved. the Lepai amp that's driving these has tone controls and they are being used to tame the high end a bit.

If I did this one again, I'd stick to the 2.1k XO with the 3db L-pad on the horn. Obviously if you choose a different tweeter, you can toss this XO design in the garbage.
              Last edited by bkeane1259; 11-09-2011, 05:25 PM. Reason: Fix schematic
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Bkeane,
                Thank you for the quick response, including the image!!!!

It was odd, I remember reading this thread like a few weeks ago....thought it was cool and enjoyed your paint.
                The other day I was in garage, and the 14'' of halloween snow melted and it was nearly 70degrees---- I had to build something. I ended up making this sony center channel. Once I mounted the baffle I said- oh wait this is just like that build I saw on PETT, and woah, it was nearly identical. Definately a fun use of $.69 drivers and in the end, if it sounds like junk---- I can say it is Sony's fault HAHA

EDIT*** I am probably going to make mine into a 2.5 way with the outer woofers being the .5 However, the inductor would cost nearly 10x the drivers so we shall see about that

Comment

Once I mounted the baffle I said- oh wait this is just like that build I saw on PETT, and woah, it was nearly identical.
                  It would be cool if you posted some pics -- you can do it on this thread if you'd like. I wish there were more threads using this mid-bass, but since they are NLA, I doubt we'll see much.

I plan to do a mmmmtmmmm open baffle with these next. The open baffle will be mounted to a powered sub with (you guessed it) more buyout stuff. I still have 2 of those horn tweets and they will be used in this build.

THESE will be the low end (2 in each cab), powered by THIS. I have all this mocked up on paper, but right now I feel like my life is in a minor state of chaos and the Chicago weather isn't getting any better....so realistically, while I do have all the parts, I'm unsure when I will get around to building it. :(
                  Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

EDIT*** I am probably going to make mine into a 2.5 way with the outer woofers being the .5 However, the inductor would cost nearly 10x the drivers so we shall see about that
                    Figure out the value. I might be able to help. I have a lot of surplus XO stuff....if it's not too ridiculous in size, I probably have it. It would be IC tho....not air core...LOL. I think you'd be in the 30x area for a perfect lay coil...maybe more!!
                    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

right on about the inductor.....shipping would cost as much for you as 20 sony's though!!!!
                      heres a few pics of my baffle from the other day. its all I had on my phone for now, figured I would throw it in for ya.
                      Attached Files

Comment

LOL!! I think I just looked at pics from my build. :p

Seriously though, figure out that 0.5 value. If I have it, I will ship a pair out to you and if it doesn't work, you can ship them back. 1st class mail ain't gonna break the bank. If it works, we'll talk.

EDIT - forgot you're doing a CC.....so a single inductor would be peanuts to ship. Let's try it!!
                        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

well, thats a deal I cant argue with.....
                          Lemme get some physical measurments of the baffle (yeah you would think I should know off hand since I been building it this week, but I think it was all scrap MDF) Then I can calculate the .5, which would simply be the result of 2x8ohm=4ohm+ (do the math for baffle size)=inductor....I think....

Comment

Can't help you here, but PCD guys can probably knock this out in 60 seconds. -- remember, you're doing a horizontal design.
                            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

And while we're at it, you might look at THIS THREAD for ideas on finishing a whole HT setup.

I think if you used his tweeter in your CC with the correct XO and then four (5.1) or six (7.1) of the Lil' Brits and a decent sub, you'd be kicking HT A$$ on a real budget. Oh and if you could document it, it would be even better!!! :D:D:D:D
                              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HUMBUG

This is a $.69 woofer!!!!! the heck with the rules!!!!!

subconsciously, I dont know if the horizontal layout will change what the actual calculated .5 inductor value would be. The .5 only relies on crossing at the correct frequency to be accurate, then again, .5 is essentially BSC which is open to interpretation anyways. I always thought that calculating a .5 only matters based on baffle dimensions--- and for personal taste you can facter in the distance to wall and so on.

I could be way wrong
                                the more I learn, the less I know.

Comment

Working...
                                X