• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ROTECH
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Apr 2011

Re: The Wildeman - MMTMM Sony buyout build

Originally posted by bkeane1259
    And while we're at it, you might look at THIS THREAD for ideas on finishing a whole HT setup.

I think if you used his tweeter in your CC with the correct XO and then four (5.1) or six (7.1) of the Lil' Brits and a decent sub, you'd be kicking HT A$$ on a real budget. Oh and if you could document it, it would be even better!!! :D:D:D:D
    well...... I wont count out this cheap woofer just yet, but I think my life as an audio addict would come screetching to a hault if I based my HT around this little $.69 pooper.
    Right now I have my 831735 HDS 2.5way towers, with 4 more of the same drivers locked up in my garage to finish my HT with them. to make 5-7 matching speakers, I wouldnt mind something nicer than the sony.

Comment

• bkeane1259
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ROTECH
      BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HUMBUG

This is a $.69 woofer!!!!! the heck with the rules!!!!!
      LOL....I'm not going to debate you on that at all.

I will say that for HT use, you just can't toss in any CC and be happy. It has to match your other speakers. I'm only concerned that you will try to integrate this into a HT setup and be disappointed and think you did a horrible job or something.

But anyway, figure out your values and get back to me. Let's take it PM on the shipping details. I'm willing to collaborate. Isn't this what it's all about??
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
      [SIZE="1"]
      Speedster | [URL="http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=229236"]Sub Attach

Comment

• bkeane1259
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Mar 2011

well...... I wont count out this cheap woofer just yet, but I think my life as an audio addict would come screetching to a hault if I based my HT around this little $.69 pooper.
        I'll tell you what.....I think I might be pleasantly surprised by my open baffle idea with these little poopers and I'm already allocating space for them (pre-build) for a multi-month listening period. I guarantee my wife WILL NOT be impressed with a set of 60" tall "things" in our living room, but it WILL happen. ;)
        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
        [SIZE="1"]
        Speedster | [URL="http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=229236"]Sub Attach

Comment

• ROTECH
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Apr 2011

LOL....I'm not going to debate you on that at all.

I will say that for HT use, you just can't toss in any CC and be happy. It has to match your other speakers. I'm only concerned that you will try to integrate this into a HT setup and be disappointed and think you did a horrible job or something.

But anyway, figure out your values and get back to me. Let's take it PM on the shipping details. I'm willing to collaborate. Isn't this what it's all about??
          totally agreed with the possible mismatched center vs LR. I am totally on board that timbre and drivers should be close to matched or it will sound "off"

This sony CC was a bored project, and can easily be sold on craigslist for 2-3x more than component cost. or I can use it in my game room which has a 14ft long bar, which means drinking, which means I may not hear the difference anyways!!

Comment

• bkeane1259
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Mar 2011

This sony CC was a bored project, and can easily be sold on craigslist for 2-3x more than component cost. or I can use it in my game room which has a 14ft long bar, which means drinking, which means I may not hear the difference anyways!!
            Well, I'd be interested in your evaluations whether you stick it in your main HT for a test or your play area for some fun. Like I said, I DID look at my build and think it would be a great CC, but I didn't have time to ponder the possibility of that, since I had a deadline to meet for the Wildeman 2.1 system.

I snagged 32 of these poopers, so I have will still have several left even after my OB project. A CC would be very nice to do for a friend or relative and I could even make it a cheapo 5.1 with the left-overs.

Lets' do it.
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
            [SIZE="1"]

Comment

• John_Frum
              Midrange Member
              • Dec 2010

I take it, you have not had a chance to listen to them yet? I am working on a similar setup. MMTMM with the Jamo buyouts for the tweeter, crossed between 2-3K. I will do full towers with a side mounted 8 or 10 for the low end. The Bazooka 10" buyout might work nice for this. I guess it really depends on what buyouts are available when it comes time to order that stuff. My son will be using his Denon's A channels to power the top and B channels for the bottom.

Comment

• thekorvers
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Jan 2010

Here's what I ended up using for the Wildeman crossover.

A few notes:

I used as many surplus parts as I could because I was on a very tight budget. My original thought was to do a 2.1k crossover, but I didn't have the parts I thought I did, so I ended up with this.

My main concern was rolling off the midbass at a frequency and a slope that would kill the 5k ring issue, so I did a 3rd order there. I did a 2nd order on the tweet. I originally included a 3db L-pad on the tweeter but omitted it in the end and that was a mistake. They definitely are bright. In the classroom setting they reside in, it's not much of an issue because there are no critical listeners or even critical listening positions involved. the Lepai amp that's driving these has tone controls and they are being used to tame the high end a bit.

If I did this one again, I'd stick to the 2.1k XO with the 3db L-pad on the horn. Obviously if you choose a different tweeter, you can toss this XO design in the garbage.
                I hope that you don't actually have them hooked up like this, but that you have simply made a mistake in your drawing.

What you show are 4 drivers hooked up in parallel for an impedance of 2 ohms. Two are wired in phase and two are wired out of phase.
                “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

• bkeane1259
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by thekorvers
                  I hope that you don't actually have them hooked up like this, but that you have simply made a mistake in your drawing.

What you show are 4 drivers hooked up in parallel for an impedance of 2 ohms. Two are wired in phase and two are wired out of phase.
                  Oh brother....I'm glad you caught that. The pic (which I tried to put together in MS Paint) is completely wrong -- the actual speaker wiring is correct. I revised the picture. Thanks. ;)
                  Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
                  [SIZE="1"]

Comment

• thekorvers
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Jan 2010

Oh brother....I'm glad you caught that. The pic (which I tried to put together in MS Paint) is completely wrong -- the actual speaker wiring is correct. I revised the picture. Thanks. ;)
                    That looks a lot better! Other than the mistake, your drawing looks pretty professional.
                    “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

• manu et deo
                      • Apr 2012

Hi all, i am new to these forum and have tried to build these speaker as a LCR set but was trying to find out about the XO for the CC did anyone ever have any luck? thanks in advance

Comment

• bkeane1259
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by manu et deo
                        Hi all, i am new to these forum and have tried to build these speaker as a LCR set but was trying to find out about the XO for the CC did anyone ever have any luck? thanks in advance
                        They were not designed for HT use, so I never did a CC. This was strictly a 2.1 system for a classroom. I would not be putting in the time to tweak the XO for a CC at this point. That doesn't mean that you cannot simply try using one of the mini-towers horizontally.
                        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
                        [SIZE="1"]

Comment

• manu et deo
                          • Apr 2012

thank you for responding, i read the whole thread and i saw where someone had mentioned using your designs as a basis for HT but might try and tweak the crossover a bit for it. i am planing on five of your speakers as a bedroom 5.1 set as since i got 20 of those sonys during the closeout and never ending up using them along with some cheap tweeters i have. i built one with no crossover running full out for fun last week while it was raining and put it in place of my cs20 and my wife said it was much louder so definately a plus and kudos to your design. so i will copy your XO and build the other four and i think she will like them very much as since they will be wall mounted and able to match the room wall color. i may even face mount them and cut a larger baffle so them can go in the corners and she really wont see them. thanks again for all your work.

Comment

• bkeane1259
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by manu et deo
                            thank you for responding, i read the whole thread and i saw where someone had mentioned using your designs as a basis for HT but might try and tweak the crossover a bit for it. i am planing on five of your speakers as a bedroom 5.1 set as since i got 20 of those sonys during the closeout and never ending up using them along with some cheap tweeters i have. i built one with no crossover running full out for fun last week while it was raining and put it in place of my cs20 and my wife said it was much louder so definately a plus and kudos to your design. so i will copy your XO and build the other four and i think she will like them very much as since they will be wall mounted and able to match the room wall color. i may even face mount them and cut a larger baffle so them can go in the corners and she really wont see them. thanks again for all your work.
                            Yes, one of the other members did build a CC, but I am not sure if he did any XO tweaking. If he did, I wasn't involved. In the MMTMM alignment, the speakers are quite efficient, yes. They will be best up against a wall -- that's how they are being used now in the classroom and how they were designed to be used.

I have two quick suggestions.

1) Test all your drivers. Since you only have just enough to complete your entire project, if even one is bad, you're going to really be pi$$ed since they are NLA. However, if you do indeed have a defective driver, I can help you out. I have plenty left.

2) Build a pair with the XO's and then just do some subjective testing/comparing by placing one in a horizontal position. You might not have to tweak anything. Just keep in mind, that I used a horn tweeter so no guarantees on just how well the XO is going to work for your tweeter. If you want to give me the tweeter model, I can try to help.

Have fun.
                            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
                            [SIZE="1"]

Comment

• ROTECH
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Apr 2011

Yes, one of the other members did build a CC, but I am not sure if he did any XO tweaking. If he did, I wasn't involved. In the MMTMM alignment, the speakers are quite efficient, yes. They will be best up against a wall -- that's how they are being used now in the classroom and how they were designed to be used.

I have two quick suggestions.

1) Test all your drivers. Since you only have just enough to complete your entire project, if even one is bad, you're going to really be pi$$ed since they are NLA. However, if you do indeed have a defective driver, I can help you out. I have plenty left.

2) Build a pair with the XO's and then just do some subjective testing/comparing by placing one in a horizontal position. You might not have to tweak anything. Just keep in mind, that I used a horn tweeter so no guarantees on just how well the XO is going to work for your tweeter. If you want to give me the tweeter model, I can try to help.

Have fun.

I think it may be me whom you mentioned building the CC. I used a different tweeter so that circuit is totally changed. Also lowered the XO point and my primary inductor for the lowpass is .45mh 18gauge. I think the rest is the same as BK's lowpass.

EDIT**
                              the center channel works great. I dont have any seats wicked far off axis, so the MMTMM works fine in my environment. I used the Vifa bc25----? the same one as from the stentorians. it was an $11 tweeter, now $24 I think. For $24, there are better units out there. My cabinet is also sealed, drivers are rear mounted. Heavily stuffed with fiberglass and polyfill.

Comment

• Dabspok
                                • Feb 2012

Now this is what I call "Community Service". :D

Nice job!

Comment

Working...