The Wildeman - MMTMM Sony buyout build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Wildeman - MMTMM Sony buyout build

the tweeter i have is Nuance TW5-2LR 1/2" Mylar Tweeter. they were closed out at the same time i think. i bought them and the sonys to imitate some sony bookshelves i have as computer speakers as a bedroom 5.1 set. i only bought 20 because they were so cheap, i only wish i got more. thank you for your help.

Comment

Definitely do not use my published XO for this design, as the crossover point is too low for the Nuance tweeter.

Did you already buy XO parts??
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

no, i have any order sheet going because i was planning on a small 10 inch sub to pair with these; so i can delete what i have and add whatever else i need.

Comment

Let me make a revision so you can incorporate the Nuance tweeter. I am familiar with that tweeter...I know what needs to be done. I will post a schematic shortly.
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

This is what I would suggest in order to incorporate the Nuance tweeter. The mylar tweeter must be crossed over much higher than the horn I used, so the XO point has to be moved up and be a fairly steep slope to avoid tweeter fs. I used a 3rd order at 4khz. The Sony buyouts have a hump around 5.5k that we don't want to be audible if at all possible, so I chose a 2nd order slope at 3.5kHz for the woofer. Make sure you stuff the cabs generously with fiberglass as well. I used 6.25" thick OC (unbatted) from Home Depot. I think you already know this, but you will most definitely need a sub to handle the low end. These towers roll off quickly below 90Hz, but they are plenty loud. Even with the Nuance tweeter, you should be right around 90/91db system sensitivity.

There are two ways you can go about building the XO's - one is considerably more expensive than the other. You can use all poly caps and a 18AWG inductor (on woofer) and each XO will run you $19.35 (you will get a volume discount which will drop the price slightly since you need 5 xo's).

OR....you can use all NPE Caps and make both inductors 20AWG and the price drops down to $11.16 (you will get a volume discount which will drop the price slightly since you need 5 xo's).

The XO component choice is up to you. I do not believe you will be able to tell the difference between the two, given the drivers that you are using. I would suggest you save yourself some coin and go with the lower-priced XO for this particular build.

Good luck if you go through with it. I'd be very interested in hearing about your results.
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

thanks for everything, i will let you know how it goes

Comment

Working...
              X