• manu et deo
    replied
    Re: The Wildeman - MMTMM Sony buyout build

thanks for everything, i will let you know how it goes

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

This is what I would suggest in order to incorporate the Nuance tweeter. The mylar tweeter must be crossed over much higher than the horn I used, so the XO point has to be moved up and be a fairly steep slope to avoid tweeter fs. I used a 3rd order at 4khz. The Sony buyouts have a hump around 5.5k that we don't want to be audible if at all possible, so I chose a 2nd order slope at 3.5kHz for the woofer. Make sure you stuff the cabs generously with fiberglass as well. I used 6.25" thick OC (unbatted) from Home Depot. I think you already know this, but you will most definitely need a sub to handle the low end. These towers roll off quickly below 90Hz, but they are plenty loud. Even with the Nuance tweeter, you should be right around 90/91db system sensitivity.

There are two ways you can go about building the XO's - one is considerably more expensive than the other. You can use all poly caps and a 18AWG inductor (on woofer) and each XO will run you $19.35 (you will get a volume discount which will drop the price slightly since you need 5 xo's).

OR....you can use all NPE Caps and make both inductors 20AWG and the price drops down to $11.16 (you will get a volume discount which will drop the price slightly since you need 5 xo's).

The XO component choice is up to you. I do not believe you will be able to tell the difference between the two, given the drivers that you are using. I would suggest you save yourself some coin and go with the lower-priced XO for this particular build.

Good luck if you go through with it. I'd be very interested in hearing about your results.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Let me make a revision so you can incorporate the Nuance tweeter. I am familiar with that tweeter...I know what needs to be done. I will post a schematic shortly.

Leave a comment:

• manu et deo
    replied

no, i have any order sheet going because i was planning on a small 10 inch sub to pair with these; so i can delete what i have and add whatever else i need.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Definitely do not use my published XO for this design, as the crossover point is too low for the Nuance tweeter.

Did you already buy XO parts??

Leave a comment:

• manu et deo
    replied

the tweeter i have is Nuance TW5-2LR 1/2" Mylar Tweeter. they were closed out at the same time i think. i bought them and the sonys to imitate some sony bookshelves i have as computer speakers as a bedroom 5.1 set. i only bought 20 because they were so cheap, i only wish i got more. thank you for your help.

Leave a comment:

• Dabspok
    replied

Now this is what I call "Community Service". :D

Nice job!

Leave a comment:

• ROTECH
    replied

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    Yes, one of the other members did build a CC, but I am not sure if he did any XO tweaking. If he did, I wasn't involved. In the MMTMM alignment, the speakers are quite efficient, yes. They will be best up against a wall -- that's how they are being used now in the classroom and how they were designed to be used.

I have two quick suggestions.

1) Test all your drivers. Since you only have just enough to complete your entire project, if even one is bad, you're going to really be pi$$ed since they are NLA. However, if you do indeed have a defective driver, I can help you out. I have plenty left.

2) Build a pair with the XO's and then just do some subjective testing/comparing by placing one in a horizontal position. You might not have to tweak anything. Just keep in mind, that I used a horn tweeter so no guarantees on just how well the XO is going to work for your tweeter. If you want to give me the tweeter model, I can try to help.

Have fun.

I think it may be me whom you mentioned building the CC. I used a different tweeter so that circuit is totally changed. Also lowered the XO point and my primary inductor for the lowpass is .45mh 18gauge. I think the rest is the same as BK's lowpass.

EDIT**
    the center channel works great. I dont have any seats wicked far off axis, so the MMTMM works fine in my environment. I used the Vifa bc25----? the same one as from the stentorians. it was an $11 tweeter, now $24 I think. For $24, there are better units out there. My cabinet is also sealed, drivers are rear mounted. Heavily stuffed with fiberglass and polyfill.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by manu et deo View Post
    thank you for responding, i read the whole thread and i saw where someone had mentioned using your designs as a basis for HT but might try and tweak the crossover a bit for it. i am planing on five of your speakers as a bedroom 5.1 set as since i got 20 of those sonys during the closeout and never ending up using them along with some cheap tweeters i have. i built one with no crossover running full out for fun last week while it was raining and put it in place of my cs20 and my wife said it was much louder so definately a plus and kudos to your design. so i will copy your XO and build the other four and i think she will like them very much as since they will be wall mounted and able to match the room wall color. i may even face mount them and cut a larger baffle so them can go in the corners and she really wont see them. thanks again for all your work.
    Yes, one of the other members did build a CC, but I am not sure if he did any XO tweaking. If he did, I wasn't involved. In the MMTMM alignment, the speakers are quite efficient, yes. They will be best up against a wall -- that's how they are being used now in the classroom and how they were designed to be used.

I have two quick suggestions.

1) Test all your drivers. Since you only have just enough to complete your entire project, if even one is bad, you're going to really be pi$$ed since they are NLA. However, if you do indeed have a defective driver, I can help you out. I have plenty left.

2) Build a pair with the XO's and then just do some subjective testing/comparing by placing one in a horizontal position. You might not have to tweak anything. Just keep in mind, that I used a horn tweeter so no guarantees on just how well the XO is going to work for your tweeter. If you want to give me the tweeter model, I can try to help.

Have fun.

Leave a comment:

• manu et deo
    replied

thank you for responding, i read the whole thread and i saw where someone had mentioned using your designs as a basis for HT but might try and tweak the crossover a bit for it. i am planing on five of your speakers as a bedroom 5.1 set as since i got 20 of those sonys during the closeout and never ending up using them along with some cheap tweeters i have. i built one with no crossover running full out for fun last week while it was raining and put it in place of my cs20 and my wife said it was much louder so definately a plus and kudos to your design. so i will copy your XO and build the other four and i think she will like them very much as since they will be wall mounted and able to match the room wall color. i may even face mount them and cut a larger baffle so them can go in the corners and she really wont see them. thanks again for all your work.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by manu et deo View Post
    Hi all, i am new to these forum and have tried to build these speaker as a LCR set but was trying to find out about the XO for the CC did anyone ever have any luck? thanks in advance
    They were not designed for HT use, so I never did a CC. This was strictly a 2.1 system for a classroom. I would not be putting in the time to tweak the XO for a CC at this point. That doesn't mean that you cannot simply try using one of the mini-towers horizontally.

Leave a comment:

• manu et deo
    replied

Hi all, i am new to these forum and have tried to build these speaker as a LCR set but was trying to find out about the XO for the CC did anyone ever have any luck? thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied

Oh brother....I'm glad you caught that. The pic (which I tried to put together in MS Paint) is completely wrong -- the actual speaker wiring is correct. I revised the picture. Thanks. ;)
    That looks a lot better! Other than the mistake, your drawing looks pretty professional.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
    I hope that you don't actually have them hooked up like this, but that you have simply made a mistake in your drawing.

What you show are 4 drivers hooked up in parallel for an impedance of 2 ohms. Two are wired in phase and two are wired out of phase.
    Oh brother....I'm glad you caught that. The pic (which I tried to put together in MS Paint) is completely wrong -- the actual speaker wiring is correct. I revised the picture. Thanks. ;)

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied

Here's what I ended up using for the Wildeman crossover.

A few notes:

I used as many surplus parts as I could because I was on a very tight budget. My original thought was to do a 2.1k crossover, but I didn't have the parts I thought I did, so I ended up with this.

My main concern was rolling off the midbass at a frequency and a slope that would kill the 5k ring issue, so I did a 3rd order there. I did a 2nd order on the tweet. I originally included a 3db L-pad on the tweeter but omitted it in the end and that was a mistake. They definitely are bright. In the classroom setting they reside in, it's not much of an issue because there are no critical listeners or even critical listening positions involved. the Lepai amp that's driving these has tone controls and they are being used to tame the high end a bit.

If I did this one again, I'd stick to the 2.1k XO with the 3db L-pad on the horn. Obviously if you choose a different tweeter, you can toss this XO design in the garbage.
    I hope that you don't actually have them hooked up like this, but that you have simply made a mistake in your drawing.

What you show are 4 drivers hooked up in parallel for an impedance of 2 ohms. Two are wired in phase and two are wired out of phase.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X