5-6" mid suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-6" mid suggestions...

I am not 100% on the Scan Speak discovery mid I was talking about the other night. Not because I feel it would be lacking etc, but rather because it was the first one I looked based on the estimable opinion of a knowledgeable forum member.

What else in the under-100 price class offers sensitivity in the upper 80's, easy to mount frame, similar build and performance quality and (something I am appreciating from playing with all those OEM drivers) a well behaved response curve? It seems so many manufacturers want to distinguish their small drivers by creating a frame that is a royal PITA to flush mount (Aurum Cantus for example).

So fire away. Give me ideas and suggestions. Let's see what is out there with the (presumably) low distortion and linear response of the Discovery unit in it's price class.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: 5-6" mid suggestions...

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    So fire away. Give me ideas and suggestions. Let's see what is out there with the (presumably) low distortion and linear response of the Discovery unit in it's price class.
    The Aurum Cantus drivers that feature their better motor design (50CK) all use standard round frames. The sale price of the AC165/50CK almost puts it in the same price class. I've used the AC-130MKII and was very impressed, so the new AC drivers would near the top of my list. The Wavecor stuff looks interesting, but the price is a bit higher. My own first choice for a mid would be that Eton 3-401. The distortion and response curves suggest it is an amazing driver--it would be nice to try it. It's $109 apiece, though, and it's smaller than what you are looking for.
    Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

What about those SB Acoustics SB15NRX* drivers? 4 or 8-ohm available, sensitivity ~89-91 and they certainly look like they're built like tanks... not sure if you're considering paper though.

Comment

This one maybe?

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...102&Itemid=124
        "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

Minrange, or midbass? What range is critical?

Comment

Consider the ZA14W08
            :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

How about the Peerless HDS 830883?
              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by GranteedEV View Post
                Consider the ZA14W08
                +1 on the za. if you dont want silver color, the sb.
                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

You should take a look at the SB Acoustics SB12MNRX25 midrange. With its' near Revelator level HD, 88.5db sensitivity, smooth response, and $55 price tag it looks to be a real winner.

Chris
                  Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-898

Excellent build quality, highish efficiency and extremely suitable for wide range mid-range use. I've used a pair full range and was astonished at the resolution and detail of this driver.

Comment

I know your direction is for a standard stock model, but the seas h453/ nht npt-11-76-1 is still available from jack hidley for $20.

Comment

Originally posted by 2leftthumbs View Post
                        I know your direction is for a standard stock model, but the seas h453/ nht npt-11-76-1 is still available from jack hidley for $20.
                        That is a nice driver, and I really should pick a couple up just to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
                          http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-898

Excellent build quality, highish efficiency and extremely suitable for wide range mid-range use. I've used a pair full range and was astonished at the resolution and detail of this driver.
                          Nice driver. Can the phase plug be removed for purposes of re-coloring?

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
                            How about the Peerless HDS 830883?
                            That one is way up on my list - except it misses based on appearance. Crazy, I know.

Someday, I would like to do a 2-way with that and the ring radiator tweeter.

Comment

Some nice suggestions in here. I like the idea of either the SB, the TB or the Scan Speak so far.

Keep 'em coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X