X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5-6" mid suggestions...

Fountek FW146
    excellent little driver
    ZA14 is very nice also (mentioned previously)
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
      Fountek FW146
      excellent little driver
      ZA14 is very nice also (mentioned previously)
      I'm sure they are excellent, but are not what I am looking for appearance-wise :(
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I just noticed this, and it seems to be calling to me.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
          I just noticed this, and it seems to be calling to me.
          That does spec out nice; looks great, too.

Comment

OK, just ordered my mids. Gonna have to wait until October to see them, though.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
              OK, just ordered my mids. Gonna have to wait until October to see them, though.
              Which ones and why so long?
              "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                Which ones and why so long?
                Oh, I'll probably see them in a few days or so, the rest of the world will just have to wait ;)

Comment

Here's one you might want to take a look at. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-850 This is the one I used in the Tikki Lau's. Very well behaved and easy to cross, not to mention they sound great and cheap $$ for what they do.
                  Hybrid floor stander build - The Tikki Lau - D8's

CNC baffle cutting services

Comment

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...nary-info.html

If you want a really solid mid/woofer, then id recommend the VWR126X thats coming from CSS. From what i'm to understand, its a very low distortion driver around 80hz up, with very clean midrange, and extension up to 10khz.

Its a 5" driver, and the look might throw you off, but they are much nicer looking in person, and the dustcap can always be painted black if you hate the look of the copper.

Comment

Originally posted by takitaj View Post
                      Here's one you might want to take a look at. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-850 This is the one I used in the Tikki Lau's. Very well behaved and easy to cross, not to mention they sound great and cheap $$ for what they do.
                      Too late, plus the mids I picked are smaller diameter (very important for what I am doing) have similar distortion (with a flat distortion profile - not the more common rising 3rd harmonic profile so common), and an ultra flat bandpass (also very important for what I am doing).

No offense at all to the TB, it is a very nice driver just not meeting the performance criteria for this specific project. If I used it, I would be paying for bass potential I simply do not need and thus do not want to pay for.

Ahhh, the joys of driver selection

Comment

Originally posted by Binary110 View Post
                        http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...nary-info.html

If you want a really solid mid/woofer, then id recommend the VWR126X thats coming from CSS. From what i'm to understand, its a very low distortion driver around 80hz up, with very clean midrange, and extension up to 10khz.

Its a 5" driver, and the look might throw you off, but they are much nicer looking in person, and the dustcap can always be painted black if you hate the look of the copper.
                        Too late, that is what "ordered" means ;) Plus, that is another driver that I would be paying a lot of money for bass potential that do not need. It looks pretty nice (other than the ugly dustcap) though. Make a very nice little monitor.

That tweeter looks way more interesting, I am wondering if the is the one Jeff was dropping hints about...

Comment

One thing I did notice on the CSS was it has what appears to be a pretty honest Xmax spec. To my knowledge, this makes it a pretty rare bird. I wish it was suited to my application.

Comment

Working...
                          X