X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Re: 5-6" mid suggestions...

One thing I did notice on the CSS was it has what appears to be a pretty honest Xmax spec. To my knowledge, this makes it a pretty rare bird. I wish it was suited to my application.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Originally posted by Binary110 View Post
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...nary-info.html

If you want a really solid mid/woofer, then id recommend the VWR126X thats coming from CSS. From what i'm to understand, its a very low distortion driver around 80hz up, with very clean midrange, and extension up to 10khz.

Its a 5" driver, and the look might throw you off, but they are much nicer looking in person, and the dustcap can always be painted black if you hate the look of the copper.
    Too late, that is what "ordered" means ;) Plus, that is another driver that I would be paying a lot of money for bass potential that do not need. It looks pretty nice (other than the ugly dustcap) though. Make a very nice little monitor.

That tweeter looks way more interesting, I am wondering if the is the one Jeff was dropping hints about...

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Originally posted by takitaj View Post
    Here's one you might want to take a look at. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-850 This is the one I used in the Tikki Lau's. Very well behaved and easy to cross, not to mention they sound great and cheap $$ for what they do.
    Too late, plus the mids I picked are smaller diameter (very important for what I am doing) have similar distortion (with a flat distortion profile - not the more common rising 3rd harmonic profile so common), and an ultra flat bandpass (also very important for what I am doing).

No offense at all to the TB, it is a very nice driver just not meeting the performance criteria for this specific project. If I used it, I would be paying for bass potential I simply do not need and thus do not want to pay for.

Ahhh, the joys of driver selection

Leave a comment:

• Binary110
    replied

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...nary-info.html

If you want a really solid mid/woofer, then id recommend the VWR126X thats coming from CSS. From what i'm to understand, its a very low distortion driver around 80hz up, with very clean midrange, and extension up to 10khz.

Its a 5" driver, and the look might throw you off, but they are much nicer looking in person, and the dustcap can always be painted black if you hate the look of the copper.

Leave a comment:

• takitaj
    replied

Here's one you might want to take a look at. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-850 This is the one I used in the Tikki Lau's. Very well behaved and easy to cross, not to mention they sound great and cheap $$ for what they do.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Originally posted by Face View Post
    Which ones and why so long?
    Oh, I'll probably see them in a few days or so, the rest of the world will just have to wait ;)

Leave a comment:

• Face
    replied

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    OK, just ordered my mids. Gonna have to wait until October to see them, though.
    Which ones and why so long?

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

OK, just ordered my mids. Gonna have to wait until October to see them, though.

Leave a comment:

• 50 watt head
    replied

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    I just noticed this, and it seems to be calling to me.
    That does spec out nice; looks great, too.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

I just noticed this, and it seems to be calling to me.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
    Fountek FW146
    excellent little driver
    ZA14 is very nice also (mentioned previously)
    I'm sure they are excellent, but are not what I am looking for appearance-wise :(

Leave a comment:

• r-carpenter
    replied

Fountek FW146
    excellent little driver
    ZA14 is very nice also (mentioned previously)

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Some nice suggestions in here. I like the idea of either the SB, the TB or the Scan Speak so far.

Keep 'em coming.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
    How about the Peerless HDS 830883?
    That one is way up on my list - except it misses based on appearance. Crazy, I know.

Someday, I would like to do a 2-way with that and the ring radiator tweeter.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-898

Excellent build quality, highish efficiency and extremely suitable for wide range mid-range use. I've used a pair full range and was astonished at the resolution and detail of this driver.
    Nice driver. Can the phase plug be removed for purposes of re-coloring?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X