Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

    Well, these were FINALLY delivered by the CNC company! It's a big company, but they're slow at getting these tiny projects done. But I found a new smaller company that said they can keep prices just as good, but turn out designs much faster and in smaller runs. We'll see how that goes in a couple weeks. I'm going to send in some designs.

    Prices on these were only $19 each after they delivered them! :eek:

    That included the 1/2" roundovers, recessed drivers where needed, rabbet joints to lock in all panels, and even a brace that slides into it's own dado cut. They're made from 3/4" mdf like most people seemed to want. Like the others, I didn't ask for any terminal holes to be cut because everyone seems to like something different.

    On the regular Overnight MT's, I had free shipping boxes. But these are too tall for the double thick boxes I was using. Bummer. I should be able to get a box for around $1.25. So after packaging them up, I figure closer to $20.25 each unless I can find free boxes.

    Here's Paul Carmody's Overnight Sensation MTM's (held together with masking tape):








  • #2
    Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

    In so I don't loose this thread. I need to go research the ONS MTM's, you may have an order for the holidays. Is this going to be a limited run or something you intend to have semi-ongoing?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

      And here's Chris Roemer's Nano Neo's! Both designs had the same sized enclosure, so they share the same bracing. The only difference was the front baffle, and the rear panel needed 1 port instead of 2. Everyone said to NOT recess the Dayton woofer on these, so they didn't. The metal flange on that woofer is about 1.5 mm thin anyway, so as others said, it wasn't needed. I just sat the back panel in on the second picture, it's not actually taped in place.





      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

        Originally posted by jcpahman77 View Post
        In so I don't loose this thread. I need to go research the ONS MTM's, you may have an order for the holidays. Is this going to be a limited run or something you intend to have semi-ongoing?
        I'll have to wait to see how the new CNC company turns out. I can tell you that there will be a lot more designs coming. The goal is to get a decent number of the DIY flat packs out there for people to choose from. When these are out, the next "run" may not be cut immediately because they might be working on different stuff. I'd consider it a 'limited run' for now though.

        I did order enough to last a while though. The only thing I'm still wondering about is the pricing between both of these flat packs. The CNC company gave a price for the entire order. But obviously the OS speakers had more work than the Nano's. I don't know if I should lower the Nano's by a couple dollars and raise the Overnights by that amount to level it out or not.

        Probably no big deal leaving them the way they are because the Nano's are going to be pretty cheap kits anyway.

        I can box these up in my free time because it doesn't take long. My job requires me to work outside, so when it's raining, I can usually get a lot of them boxed up in one day, no big deal at all.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

          If I may offer a suggestion then, and I'm sure you've gotten a few, but perhaps looking into sealed versions of Curt's TriTrix speakers might not be a bad idea for those who want to compliment the TL knockdown kit PE already sells and add a center and/or surround speakers.

          Either way, I'm following your offerings, I can't imagine tax time going by without a purchase. I suck at woodworking and this allows me to enjoy the DIY speaker designs.

          Thank You.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

            Originally posted by jcpahman77 View Post
            If I may offer a suggestion then, and I'm sure you've gotten a few, but perhaps looking into sealed versions of Curt's TriTrix speakers might not be a bad idea for those who want to compliment the TL knockdown kit PE already sells and add a center and/or surround speakers.

            Either way, I'm following your offerings, I can't imagine tax time going by without a purchase. I suck at woodworking and this allows me to enjoy the DIY speaker designs.

            Thank You.
            I have talked to Curt to see if he cared about me helping get flat packs for some of his designs. He thought it was a good idea. Obviously I wouldn't ask the CNC company to price the model Parts Express sells. But I will find out about the others.

            I'd really like to see what price his new tower speakers would be!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

              Originally posted by jcpahman77 View Post
              If I may offer a suggestion then, and I'm sure you've gotten a few, but perhaps looking into sealed versions of Curt's TriTrix speakers might not be a bad idea for those who want to compliment the TL knockdown kit PE already sells and add a center and/or surround speakers.
              Bump.

              I, too, like that idea. I have a pair of the TL flat packs from PE sitting on under my worktable in the shop waiting for 'time' to put them together. I planned to build the center for a 'matched' LCR, but I would definitely buy the flat packs if they're available. Haven't yet decided on 5.1, 7.1 or 9.1, so multiple packs may be in my future if they're available.

              I am DEFINITELY interested in the MTM flat pack for the OS. Just wish i hadn't missed out on the original OS flat packs. I'll send you a PM for more information on how to order and get payment to you as quickly as possible.

              Thanks for your contribution to this forum and the DIY community.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

                Originally posted by Erich H View Post
                And here's Chris Roemer's Nano Neo's! Both designs had the same sized enclosure, so they share the same bracing. The only difference was the front baffle, and the rear panel needed 1 port instead of 2. Everyone said to NOT recess the Dayton woofer on these, so they didn't. The metal flange on that woofer is about 1.5 mm thin anyway, so as others said, it wasn't needed. I just sat the back panel in on the second picture, it's not actually taped in place.





                What IS the pricing, and how can I order one?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

                  Erich,
                  I had seen the new site is up, but maybe not "running"?? A few of the links (like "add to cart") were dead...
                  I am really looking forward to a build with one of these...(and hopefully adding the Anarchy when it is available...)
                  Can someone post a link to the OSMTM, to price the components? Rough guess on cost of components and crossovers??

                  Edit: Erich I think I remember reading these are priced "individually"? so we could do the front 3 soundstage??
                  If I can't afford it...I don't need it

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

                    Originally posted by Kevin G. View Post
                    Erich,
                    I had seen the new site is up, but maybe not "running"?? A few of the links (like "add to cart") were dead...
                    I am really looking forward to a build with one of these...(and hopefully adding the Anarchy when it is available...)
                    Can someone post a link to the OSMTM, to price the components? Rough guess on cost of components and crossovers??

                    Edit: Erich I think I remember reading these are priced "individually"? so we could do the front 3 soundstage??
                    You can buy them individually as flat packs of kits, but I haven't figured pricing of the whole kit yet. I did buy a bunch of the Dayton tweeters before they went up in price, so that will help keep the costs lower or maybe allow for free shipping on the entire kit like the Overnight MT's.

                    I'll need to check with PE on pricing to see what the kit can be sold for. As mentioned, on the last set, PE came through for us and the pricing was low enough to cover shipping of everything. I live close enough that I can drive there and pick up the parts, so it works out okay.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

                      Originally posted by LucasDavenport View Post
                      Bump.

                      I, too, like that idea. I have a pair of the TL flat packs from PE sitting on under my worktable in the shop waiting for 'time' to put them together. I planned to build the center for a 'matched' LCR, but I would definitely buy the flat packs if they're available. Haven't yet decided on 5.1, 7.1 or 9.1, so multiple packs may be in my future if they're available.

                      I am DEFINITELY interested in the MTM flat pack for the OS. Just wish i hadn't missed out on the original OS flat packs. I'll send you a PM for more information on how to order and get payment to you as quickly as possible.

                      Thanks for your contribution to this forum and the DIY community.
                      Find the time to build the TLs. Curt truly hit a home-run here.

                      If you do offer a sealed TriTrix MTM I'd likely be down for 5. I am going to be running 7.1 and the idea of having them all matched, especially with what I've experienced from the TLs, is almost too much to handle.

                      Whatever kits you end up making will be hard to keep in stock. I'm sure I can't be the only one that would like to build more of the DIY designs but are limited by either an availability of tools, space, or skills to do the woodworking.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

                        Beautiful kits Erich - really a no brainer when thinking about building these. Any chance you can have them build any kits with angles? One of the great things about CNC machines (and difficult things to do by hand) is the ease of making complex angle cuts. Heck, I think they could even do curved panels in 3/4 material and go from 3/4 in front curved back to 1/2 or 1/4 inch thickness in back. Or perhaps a Speedster kit with front facing slot!!! :D :D :D

                        Just a thought...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

                          I can send in any design for them to price. But I need to get the designers permission first. The website will have all the designs broken down into sizes and also have a page for the designers. I'm hoping to set it up where people can donate to each designer through Paypal. Obviously, they're the ones that make the stuff work.

                          No donation buttons for me because I don't have any designs. I might have a subwoofer design or something like that, but I doubt that's going to be worth a donation button. :o

                          A large quantity has to be ordered to make it worth the CNC companies time, but that's been okay to get things started. As mentioned, the smaller company can do smaller runs. So instead of ordering and paying for 100+ pair, they can cut just 10 at a time.....meaning 10 designs available for the price of 1. Of course, that means a lot of different ones coming soon! :D

                          Packing the stuff up is not hard at all. And when it's raining outside, I surely don't mind doing it.

                          This all started after I talked to Zilch about helping with some group buys on his designs. After the first ones I helped with, it turned out to be pretty easy, so I figure we might as well do more. The hardest group buy deals with the huge horns from Poland, but it's not that bad.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

                            By the way, if anyone knows AutoCAD, or the program that the CNC companies use, that would REALLY speed things up.

                            I can't do computer drawing worth a darn, but will try to learn over the winter. I sent the CNC company the drawings of the Statements but didn't hear anything back from them. Probably because it takes a while to get it entered into CAD? And they knew I wasn't going to order a lot.


                            Does anyone know what program they start out with? I think it's AutoCAD or Solidworks. After they have that file, pretty sure it has to be put into a different format for the machine, but it would still speed things up a lot.

                            If anyone wants to help, just let me know. Maybe someone here could do it for a set amount per design, and we could just roll that amount into the flat packs? Just a thought.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Overnight Sensation MTM and Nano Neo flat packs!

                              I learned AutoCAD and Inventor in a CAD class in high school that was pretty useful so I could definitely help in that manner but I don't have the software. Ideally, you'd find someone with the software but I might get it soon anyway for my own use in design.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X