Considering a big scary subwoofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a big scary subwoofer

I've built a set of TriTirx and Overnight Sensations and have really enjoyed this creative process...plus you get to listen to them for years afterwards, right? I'm thinking about building a subwoofer next but need some advice. I'm running the TriTrix set with this a 15" acoustic audio sub.

http://www.thedeepdiscount.com/p-377...eater-sub.aspx

I think it sounds great! But the pets aren't frightened, the neighbors haven't complained, the police haven't shown up, and the wife has barely commented on "that music your playing in the basement". Would I get this if I built a sub? Or is it just a matter of turning up the volume a little more ;) ?

My use is both music and movies and I'm going thru a funk stage of my life so pumpin' bass is quite important I'm not into really loud music but I want a lot of low bass...does that make sense?

The room is 13X28, kinda a long skinny thing.

I got a sine wave thing for my phone....once I get below 45hz or so I don't hear much from the speaker I have but it sure moves around a lot.

Some sort of an interesting design would be fun...ideally one that's not going to tax my limited skills too much. Like the Anarchy Tapped Horn kit or maybe one of those round cylinder type things. Could always use a tall bar table, right ;)

Or....should I just swap out the driver in the subwoofer I have? Or....maybe I should just sit tight?

Anyway, I've only heard one subwoofer, if those of you that have heard or built a bunch of 'em have any comments, they would be most appreciated

Joe

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-468

likes a cube on the outside about 24 x 24 x 24

double walled 3/4 inch mdf boards makes the inside about 21 by 21 by 21 inches

weighs close to 90 pounds and uses this amp

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-807

it is a beast and plays very loud and clean. many people have built the above sub and like it.

I think that the seller Acoustic Audio psw-15 is overly optimistic about how loud it plays.

here is a link to a good sub kit

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-770

note that the box is smaller then the diy one above but still a lot bigger then your sub

Comment

Re: Considering a big scary subwoofer

Yeah, that's right. It doesn't really seem that big now that you mention it. I've got room for something big if that's what I need

Comment

I just built a 5.0cu ft ported enclosure with the 15 HO and 1000watt dayton. 2 ports 4"x21". It really does it's job. I will post pics if it helps.

Comment

And I built the sealed version with the 15 HF and 500 watt dayton, in 4 cu ft. Its a monster in music and HT. I have build pics if wanted.
          My projects
          https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Comment

What you need, good sir, is a Mach V Pi-21 in ~350L-575L sealed. It should work in a 24" sonotube
            :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

Yeah if you're willing to have a much bigger cabinet you can really menace pets and small children with your music. I have two 4 cubic foot ported 12" subs myself and haven't looked back. :D

Comment

Your sub box is about 1.9 cu.ft net. That's about the right size for an RSS265HF-4 provided its tuned correctly and provided that 104db is loud enough for you. What are the dimensions of the slot port? Height and width are easy enough to measure. Can you stick a tape measure in the slot and hook the back end and get a depth measurement. From that we could figure the tuning frequency.

-Bob
                -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Looks like we have a port opening of 3cm X 38.5cm and it's 25cm long. There is a square hole that looks like it opens into the main body of the box and it is about 6.5X30.5cm in size...a bit hard to measure because it's at the other end of the port. So....yep, that's what we've got

Joe

Comment

That looks like the box is tuned to the mid 40's. Most ported boxes don't give you much below their tuning frequency which correlates with your observation that you don't hear anything below the mid 40's. A lot of commercial subs tune way up high in the 40's to give a lot of boom so you think you have a real sub, but what you really have is a boom box.

I'm a little confused by your statement that the outside opening is 3cm high, but that there is an internal opening 6.5cm high and narrower than the outside width. Does the port get bigger inside the front opening?

The RSS265HF-4 would not be happy with that tuning. It needs a tuning in the low twenties.

Even with the existing woofer, you can try tuning it lower. You will need to reduce the width of the port. This will reduce the output a bit, but it will play lower. Try reducing the width to something like 6.5cm so you have essentially a square port (if I got your measurements right). This should drop the tuning into the 30's. Just as an experiment, stuff one side of the port with an old tee shirt and partition it off to the 6.5 cm width with a piece of heavy cardboard. See if that helps it go any lower.
                    -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                    My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                    The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Back in the day...

I started with two 5.5 cubic foot sonotubes under the screen, each with one of the Dayton Quatro subs... Fed them plenty of power, and it was good. I had 'em tuned, if I recall, to about 18.5hz...

They were called The Big Cans o' Whoopass.

And they were good.

Then I bought lots of MDF, and I made the Big Box o' Whoopass. 12 cubic feet, tuned to 21hz, and stuck the woofs in it - The larger box/higher tuning actually made stuff sound better lower...

Upstairs, under the Magneplanar MMGs, I had a pair of Quatros, in 0.7Q sealed boxes... I kind of liked them for jazz and blues, but they didn't have that "rock out" sort of sound...

And I had space in the basement, so I pondered...

And the Small Boxes o' Whoopass were born - A pair of the Quatro 15s, each in its own sealed 0.9Q box... Compact, and the perfect size for speaker stands for the towers I was using as mains... Had a nice sort of thumpish quality for rock and most movie music.

The Big Box is about 10' from me right now. The 0.7Q boxes are at a friend's place, and the 0.9Q boxes are in the back of a friend's car, and I'll bet his neighbors hate me...

Notice a theme?

Besides the whole "whoopass" thing?

Some folks say you only need a single sub... "Need." Sigh... You only "need" a freakin' transistor radio. Maybe. But what you want... Now there's the ticket... And twin subs sound SO much better than single subs...

Bogie

Comment

Bogie!!!!

Long time no post welcome back and hope all is well!!

Comment

Never fall in love and trust someone - it'll bleep up your entire life.

Comment

Yeah, there's a taller, narrower opening into the 3X38.5cmX25cm slot, I've tried to take a picture of it. You'll have to use your imaginoscope but this shot is looking into the port. You can see the opening that connects the port the "main body" of the box to the left...it's bigger than 3cm and smaller than the 38.5cm.

I tried blocking off about half of the port..then more, then less, then the whole thing. Half to the port blocked off might have made it a bit louder at 35hz but it still drops off pretty fast and I might have just imagined it LOL.

But that makes sense....I think I need something to go lower

Joe

Originally posted by BOBinGA View Post
                            That looks like the box is tuned to the mid 40's. Most ported boxes don't give you much below their tuning frequency which correlates with your observation that you don't hear anything below the mid 40's. A lot of commercial subs tune way up high in the 40's to give a lot of boom so you think you have a real sub, but what you really have is a boom box.

I'm a little confused by your statement that the outside opening is 3cm high, but that there is an internal opening 6.5cm high and narrower than the outside width. Does the port get bigger inside the front opening?

The RSS265HF-4 would not be happy with that tuning. It needs a tuning in the low twenties.

Even with the existing woofer, you can try tuning it lower. You will need to reduce the width of the port. This will reduce the output a bit, but it will play lower. Try reducing the width to something like 6.5cm so you have essentially a square port (if I got your measurements right). This should drop the tuning into the 30's. Just as an experiment, stuff one side of the port with an old tee shirt and partition it off to the 6.5 cm width with a piece of heavy cardboard. See if that helps it go any lower.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I think I might be developing a case of "Sonotube Fever". Something big, tall, something that looks totally odd. Can you paint a sonotube?

Comment

Working...
                              X