aura ns6 6" woofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aura ns6 6" woofer

hey guys! i just orderd 4 of the aura's for a center channel build! the box will be 50.5"x10"h x 6" deep, it will be mounted under my lcd on the wall! just wondering if that is too small for that many woofers with 2 cv 5 cerwin vega horns!?? should i just use 2 ?? what are your thoughts??

Re: aura ns6 6" woofer

That's too small a space for 4 aura's volume wise you'll need .5 to .75 cubic feet for each driver if you're porting them.

Take it easy
    Jay
    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
    Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
    Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
    Levitation TM
    - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

i think thats like 1.3 cu. i was going to keep it sealed but dont know how big to port them!

Comment

1.7 cube by my math of those are internal dimensions, 1.07 if made from .75" material. Either way unless you are going to run them full range, I would not port since it is 80 and above for HT anyway. You are on the right track. FWIW, IMHO, et, al, ect.... nuyck nuyck.

Comment

Originally posted by lancevohs View Post
          i think thats like 1.3 cu. i was going to keep it sealed but dont know how big to port them!
          If it is for a center channel keep it sealed and cross them to a subwoofer at 80 to 100Hz. Excellent midwoofer with a lot of emphasis on midrange not so much on the woof part any way.

I would make it a 2.5 way rolling the outer midwoofers off to just compensate for baffle step and you should better integration with a tweeter. Maybe I am misunderstanding but are planning on using to tweeters? If so I would just use a single one crossed to the inner two midwoofers. This will result in the best integration and horizontal axis performance.
          Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
          If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

With light fill sealed it looks like you'd have 77Hz f3 with light fill in that size sealed going for 2 series of 2 that are the paralleled.

Take it easy
            Jay
            "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
            Levitation TM

Comment

ok! so, my cabinet size , sealed , with one tweeter , 2 woofers and light fill is my best bet?

Comment

current size sealed 4 woofers wire 2 groups of 2 speakers in parallel and then wire those groups together in series.

Take it easy
                Jay

Levitation TM

Comment

thanks guys for all your info !! one other thing , i have a two way xover at 3500hz by cerwin vega. Dave! cant quite understand your advice but it sounds like a possible 3 way xover! got a model # to use for this set up? again thanks for your help!!! i've been in car audio forever but my first attempt at making my own surround sound !!

Comment

In a 2.5 way there's an added inductor on the .5 woofer forcing it to roll off earlier than the primary woofer but prior to that roll off the two woofers are working together. I general we try to not use pre-made crossovers since better results can be had from building custom crossovers either through taking measurements or simulating from traced measurement of the drivers.

Take it easy
                    Jay

Levitation TM

Comment

wow ! custom xovers never crossed my mind and dont know where to start ! but with a little help i can figure it out ! thanks guys !!!!

Comment

There are enough people here who have used these Auras that I'm sure someone might be able to help you out. You will likely need to use a different tweeter because I have never seen anyone here mention measuring or using a CV horn. Not to worry though, you can find nice sounding tweeters for not much money, if you know what to look for. ;)
                        Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by lancevohs View Post
                          if those are external dimensions, assuming 3/4" material, it works out to 1.03 cubic feet, which is about right for 4 in a sealed alignment, and will yield a -3db cutoff of ~90hz, which should be fine for a center channel.

Comment

Isn't Curt Campbell working on an MTM Stentorian? Or buy two more and do his Stentorian Center Channel.

www.speakerdesignworks.com/NS6project_3.html

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                              Isn't Curt Campbell working on an MTM Stentorian? Or buy two more and do his Stentorian Center Channel.

www.speakerdesignworks.com/NS6project_3.html
                              +1 Trying hard not to make a pair myself....

You get a custom XO, but more importantly, you get the whole design, not just box parameters or XO circuit diagram. Curt's specified driver connections that will keep your impedence in friendly territory, and bass alignment (sealed with vent) that works well with these drivers. Plus, he's been known to respond to questions....

HAve fun,
                              Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X