The desktop amp (which one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The desktop amp (which one)

As some of you have suffered through my inane questions, I will only briefly reintroduce that I am going to build an office setup over winter break. All that is left now is my student's final, which means it is time to ACTUALLY make some decisions.

I will only have one source (computer; XONAR essence st), and am trying to decide on the amp. I want to build in a little room for the future (in terms of power), and was thinking about the following amps:

Virtue Audio Classic (Class-T 2050; 250$ plus shipping)
    Topping TP60 (Class-T 2050; 279$ free shipping)
    Emotiva x100a (Class AB; 199$ free shipping)

All claim 80wpc @ 4ohm. The emotive is the biggest and has RCA out, the virtue is the smallest and has a subwoofer out (with a 90hz high pass...why not 80? dunno), but comes with a crappy power-suppy. The topping has an additional input (that I probably won't need), and comes with a beefy torroidal power supply. Some day (when I can afford it) I might want to add a sub, and all of them seem to offer a non-ideal way to do so.

Help me techtalk, you are my only hope. I just want something to power my soon to be built speakers!
    Last edited by NickJ; 12-08-2011, 08:38 PM.

Re: The desktop amp (which one)

There's a Kingrex with the PSU for $200 for sale on the board

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

I'm just going to toss this out for yucks. It might just suit an office setup. How about getting a decent "mini system" and just using the control module. --something like the Onkyo CS-445??

It has your sub-out and also a CD player and Ipod dock, all for around the same price as any of those amps you listed.

Food for thought??
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | , COUGAR II and | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Well, in my most biased opinion... I am partial to this little fella:

Comment

Audiosourse amp100 sits under the monitor very nice.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
            there's A Kingrex With The Psu For $200 For Sale On The Board
            $300*

Comment

O do have an amp100 but no power supply
              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
              Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
              http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                Well, in my most biased opinion... I am partial to this little fella:

According to specs, it's not 4 ohm capable.
                That's why it's not on my list.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

A lot of these are also amps I looked at.

Brian, I thought about a mini receiver that Denon made, but I ended up feeling like I was paying for bells and whistles, and I would prefer to pay for sound, especially since my needs are so simple.

In addition to not being "officially" 4ohm capable (although people seem to run them that way sometime) the DTA100a has a kind of a sketchy track record with one of the channels suddenly failing. I know PE is supposed to be really good about replacing stuff, but the best warranty is the unused one IMO.

Arlis, someone warned me away from the AMP100...different review, regardless it seems a little big for where I want to put it.

I looked at the Kingrex, I am told they sound really good, but I am afraid that the 13 wpc it provides might not be enough to power some of the speakers I am considering (maybe I am wrong about that one since I will be listening near field anyways).

Anyone have any experience with the ones that I have mentioned? Bad and mediocre experiences are welcome. This is hard earned money I am talking about spending here

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    According to specs, it's not 4 ohm capable.
                    That's why it's not on my list.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    Yup...states that right in the manual.
                    http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/res...nual-43827.pdf

Too bad...some other TK2050 amps are rated for 4ohm loads.
                    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | , COUGAR II and | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

I just bought a USP-1 preamp and UPA-2 amp from Emotiva so...

My vote is the Mini-X a-100.

I am still thinking about buying the a-100 for the bedroom system

As for the sub, you can always add later.
                      Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

Comment

If you are using these for Nearfield, 25W is plenty, but let's look at the HD measurements at that 25W. A lot of the mini-amps state 10% HD by that point, even the Sure kits. I would recommend a 1% HD at 25W for nearfield, as noise is an issue with sometimes higher noise floors at this type of system. Also you are closer to the speakers, so this could be more apparent too. 4 ohm stable recommended.

Since you are looking for something that can 'grow' with you, I would advise at least the AMP100 for Audiosource. It's more power, better HD numbers, and might be enough output.

Personally, I have had several speakers hooked up in the living room on an APA150, and even with it's higher power, I could not get the output I desired at the listening position. (We're talking 83-90dB at about 8' from the line drawn between the L/R here.) I honestly can say that for a LR setup of a modest size (mine is 13'x15', 10' ceiling), 100W should be the minimum rated continuous power of your amp. If you do not want to clip, 250W is highly recommended by Bob Cordell for a moderate sensitivity speaker of 82-85dB.

My 2c,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Of the three mentioned, I'd probably go with the Emotiva... Being an A/B with old-school lineage, built like a tank, not following the Tripath / switching supply crowd. Plus, it's a great looking piece. There's no such thing as too much.. that's what volume knobs are for. I wouldn't worry so much about subwoofer outs either; a good set of full range speakers will negate any need for a sub if you're a purist (or interested in being one;-).

Emotiva gear is on my HT wish list... for now I have to live vicariously through the others that have taken the plunge.
                          ~Mark

Stuff I've builded http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...lies/smile.png

Comment

Are you strictly looking to buy something ready to hook up right out of the box? Or is an amp kit a possible option... could be fun Maybe something like this:

http://www.siliconray.com/kits/auido...ifier-kit.html

At first glance it doesn't seem like a whole lot of WPC, but desktop = near field

Maybe glowing tubes are not your gig... just thought I'd throw out something else to consider;) There are also lots of kits available that use chip amp or class D technology. I am currently building a ClassDaudio 500WPC amp kit :eek:
                            Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                              Too bad...some other TK2050 amps are rated for 4ohm loads.
                              The output chip in the TK2050 (TP2050 or STA505), is a dual device. In the DTA-100, only one output chip is used -- half for left, and the other half for right. However, most of the other TK2050 amps, like the Sure, Virtue and Topping, use two of the output chips and parallel the two channels in each chip. That way you can get a higher current rating and it can be safely spec'ed for 4 ohms.

As long as you don't push the DTA-100 too hard, or if you use a current-limited power supply, it should be fine with 4ohms. Maybe they changed the design for the "a" version, but the original version I saw just used the one output device.
                              Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Working...
                              X