Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have not heard the dreaded Dayton Ref sub "oil canning" let's discuss

I've built a 10" Dayton Ref sub in a 1 cu ft sealed box,

and a 12" Dayton Ref sub in a 1.8 cu ft sealed box.

Both powered by an SA240b

I have not heard oil canning from either of them, both have been pushed pretty hard.

The 12 in particular is a staggeringly good sounding sub. Not a hint of anything other than an ear-to-ear grin.

Can we put our finger on when/why the oil canning may occur? Cuz I don't have a clue, and it would be a shame for someone to get spooked away from these great subs if the problem isn't really there or can be avoided.

No, this thread is not sponsored by PE (chuckle)

-L$

Re: I have not heard the dreaded Dayton Ref sub "oil canning" let's discuss

Perhaps you are listening to it at a level respectful of your ears future health, or in such a room where plenty of boundary gain is increasing apparent volume. I only followed the "oil canning" issue with a mild interest so am not absolutely positive on the conditions it occurred under, but it seems to me I remember it being a problem at a DIY event (large room, generally high output levels required).

Otherwise, I am no help lol.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Well if you listen too loud, your EARS will oil can.

Music that is too loud sounds awful. I don't care how many scan speak drivers you're using.

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
        Music that is too loud sounds awful. I don't care how many scan speak drivers you're using.
        +1
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

:rolleyes:
          "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I find that the volume starts to be uncomfortable around 87-90db. I wouldn't want to listen to a movie long term at that volume.

I agree though. Equipment and speakers might be able to go louder, but full range at 65-70db is plenty enough for me 99% of the time.

Comment

What regretfully was originally posted on the phenomena should have been explained as a observation instead of a proven 'issue'. There existed far too many variables to 'prove' that the cone of the RSS315HF was too thin to handle internal pressures. Welcome to the Internet!

Comment

Is it an HF or HO? Also, 240W probably isn't enough to make the RSS315HF oil can. I've never seen a thread about oil canning that posted the design though, so I'm not sure how to compare yours to theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
                  What regretfully was originally posted on the phenomena should have been explained as a observation instead of a proven 'issue'. There existed far too many variables to 'prove' that the cone of the RSS315HF was too thin to handle internal pressures. Welcome to the Internet!
                  Agreed!

From what I can tell, the legend of *-HF drivers oil canning in sealed enclosures seems to have been born from the observance of a strange noise when some (2-4?) 265-HFs were used in undersized enclosures for a specific project at a DIY event. As an attempt to explain the noise, someone *speculated* that the cone was oil canning. Then, some rather well respected member(s) of this forum repeats the warning that *-HF drivers oil can every time someone suggests using *any* -HF driver in a sealed enclosure. Add other well intentioned folks further repeating these warnings of doom after reading a random post. Instant internet fact. :rolleyes:

-Brent

Comment

Originally posted by Brent_S View Post
                    Agreed!
                    Instant internet fact. :rolleyes:

-Brent
                    BWhahahahah. Love this age of proof.
                    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Subscribing... as I have a RSS315HF sub and a Bash300 sitting on the shelf and also would like to go the moderately sized sealed route (100% music / 0% HT).
                      Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Has anyone formally tested the driver(s) in question to see what size enclosure and or what power levels cause this so called "issue". I do not recall seeing anything definitive on this subject, so I personally have dismissed it until I see otherwise.

Also, why anyone would want to use a driver in a sealed application with a Qtc above .75 baffles me anyway. Buy the driver to suit the application, rather than working backward and deal with plaguing compromises.

Comment

Originally posted by anunnaki View Post
                          Has anyone formally tested the driver(s) in question to see what size enclosure and or what power levels cause this so called "issue". I do not recall seeing anything definitive on this subject, so I personally have dismissed it until I see otherwise.

Also, why anyone would want to use a driver in a sealed application with a Qtc above .75 baffles me anyway. Buy the driver to suit the application, rather than working backward and deal with plaguing compromises.
                          I've used the 315hf in 2 cf sealed with 500w and it pounded. The only noises I heard were the amp clipping.

Comment

Originally posted by kmibb View Post
                            Is it an HF or HO? Also, 240W probably isn't enough to make the RSS315HF oil can. I've never seen a thread about oil canning that posted the design though, so I'm not sure how to compare yours to theirs.
                            Both are HF

No, I guess 240 isn't that much power as far as subs go, but they'll play loud enough to rattle your teeth. I never have the gains over more than about 1/3rd

But more to the point, people who are considering these drivers are very likely to use similar amps. They shouldn't be spooked by this internet rumor.

Comment

Originally posted by anunnaki View Post
                              Are you referring to the RSS315HF-4
                              Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Working...
                              X