• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnyrichards
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Oct 2005

Re: Sony buyout project

Best project going right now.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.
    https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...range-mid-bass
    https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...range-mid-bass
    https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...um-cone-woofer

Comment

• Woodfiend
      Been Around Awhile
      • Jul 2011

Can't wait to see the results!

Comment

• benhinkle711
        Been Around Awhile
        • May 2008

Originally posted by r-carpenter
        mmmm the name the name

how about
        Antey-24/2
        Cool project! For the name how about just 24? Yes it's a direct ripoff of the show but it has a dramatic effect just like the appearance of the speakers do. Just a thought.

Comment

• XtremeRevolution
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Feb 2011

About time! I've needed something to do to make use of my Sony buyouts.

Now, I wonder if I can replicate this design. Is that tweeter still available? If not, is the DX25 close enough to use with the same crossover?
          Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

• r-carpenter
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Aug 2008

thank you thank you. )))
            Stock DX25 may be slightly more sensitive compare to ProAc version. Other then that, I think you could. FR looks almost identical. I can alter the crossover for stock dx25 as well. Want to send me one? I may just buy a pair later and use them somewhere along the lines but it'll probably be in 2012.
            http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Aug 2008

will these end up in your living room?
              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
              Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
              http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• Soundslike
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Feb 2010

I've just finished a partial review of the original thread, gleaning a few details about how your design has progressed up to this point. I'm going to build a set, after the holidays, as soon as things are finalized sufficiently. Are the original dimensions and spacing going to stay the same, or do you anticipate optimizing the layout in some fashion? Starting in late January I'm going to have an overhaul done on my feet (one at a time--I'm told I've worn them out :() , so I'll be hobbling around for quite a while afterwards. Is it too early in the design phase to start cutting wood?
                Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

• Mayhem13
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Jun 2008

Interesting build, and an interesting comparison for a guy whose built full line arrays. Most agnostics would be dead set against your focused array but your ears would certainly tell the whole story. I know they're not done yet but how do they compare to your full arrays? And what was the qtc of that Sony woofer?

Comment

• r-carpenter
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by [email protected]
                    will these end up in your living room?
                    I'll end up divorced if they do. Wife loves the music but we have too many speakers at home already. I may build another pair or two and set up a HT in the shop. It would be interesting to have dipole HT. Dipole center channel anyone?
                    Originally posted by Soundslike
                    I've just finished a partial review of the original thread, gleaning a few details about how your design has progressed up to this point. I'm going to build a set, after the holidays, as soon as things are finalized sufficiently. Are the original dimensions and spacing going to stay the same, or do you anticipate optimizing the layout in some fashion? Starting in late January I'm going to have an overhaul done on my feet (one at a time--I'm told I've worn them out :() , so I'll be hobbling around for quite a while afterwards. Is it too early in the design phase to start cutting wood?
                    The dimension will stay the same so you can start cutting the wood. I'll be working on crossover some more (spend 4 hours on it today) Also, experimenting with U-pole idea and that's basically a pair of side pieces that can be added later on. At this point I've leveled out the response throughout the mid range. The remaining issue is raised response from a 100hz to 500hz. It's about 4db up. I am not sure yet if I want to have flat FR because this array is a dipole and summed up arriving signal will look and sound different. Notch will stay the same.
                    Brewski heard one speaker today and I think he liked it.
                    Couple of things about how I design.
                    After crossover adjustments, I'll listen for a few days or so. Only one loudspeaker. Don't want to go in to imaging while linear performance is getting worked on.
                    Linear response is very important. Dipole however is more complicated then sticking microphone 1meter away.
                    More common sense measurements are required.

Originally posted by Mayhem13
                    Interesting build, and an interesting comparison for a guy whose built full line arrays. Most agnostics would be dead set against your focused array but your ears would certainly tell the whole story. I know they're not done yet but how do they compare to your full arrays? And what was the qtc of that Sony woofer?
                    The Qtc of that Sony is 1.0... something something. It's a stiffy with weak motor.
                    This array is not a focused array, it's more of a line source with a single centered tweeter. Focused array is even more like a pair of headphones. You can walk through the sound field. In the sweet spot, they are sweeter. The presentation is even more life like but apparent size of the instruments is somewhat smaller from straight array.
                    This Sony array is not going to sound anywhere as good as Alice. But, it's a dipole, in the end it'll have flat frequency response, low distortion and a large stable vertical image. It works in to 100hz area. I'd prefer an array like this to a wide range of a conventional 2 way designs.
                    I wouldn't use one large sub for the base but a pair of 10"inchers will make it a full range system. And $80 in parts including crossover? Anybody would be very hard pressed to get a better sound/presentation at the cost.
                    I'll describe the sound as I go alone in development.
                    I think you are in NJ? Come by and listen then you have time. I am also interested in collecting opinions.
                    Last edited by r-carpenter; 12-17-2011, 11:53 PM.
                    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

• Brewski
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Feb 2010

I got to hear them for a bit today and really enjoyed them. The Sony driver is again really pleasant surprise cost to performance wise they're off the chart. I'll look forward to hearing the finished version once they're done.

Take it easy
                      Jay
                      "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
                      Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
                      Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
                      Levitation TM
                      - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

• Leroy R
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Mar 2010

I'm game for giving them a listen. I'll be in town from the 28th to the 3rd. I sent you a pm.

Comment

• Mayhem13
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Jun 2008

I'll take you up on that offer next time in Brooklyn!

thought this might interest you

Audio advice and discussions with audiophiles and professionals. Free discussion forums, open to all and frequented by industry experts. Ask questions and get advice on stereos, speakers, hi-end amplifiers, pre-amps, home theater, tube hi-fi, turntables, vinyl, tweaks, music, films, video, DVDs and more.

Comment

• philiparcario
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Brewski
                            I got to hear them for a bit today and really enjoyed them. The Sony driver is again really pleasant surprise cost to performance wise they're off the chart. I'll look forward to hearing the finished version once they're done.

Take it easy
                            Jay
                            I heard a lessor version at romans a few months ago. it is a very nice driver forrrr under 1 dollar!

Comment

• Starkiller4299
                              Midrange Member
                              • Aug 2010

ARG! I'm so jealous! My XLR preamp arrived yesterday, but I'm headed out of town to visit the family today through Monday. I wanna measure stuff!

Comment

• XtremeRevolution
                                Seasoned Veteran
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by r-carpenter
                                thank you thank you. )))
                                Stock DX25 may be slightly more sensitive compare to ProAc version. Other then that, I think you could. FR looks almost identical. I can alter the crossover for stock dx25 as well. Want to send me one? I may just buy a pair later and use them somewhere along the lines but it'll probably be in 2012.
                                I don't have one at this time, but if you can provide another crossover based on that tweeter, I will be more than happy to build one, if not two pairs of these for my home theater. I can easily pick up a 6' plank of 3/4" southern yellow pine for $32 and not have to do any cutting at all; just routing. It would be a surprisingly simple project for me.
                                Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Working...